Wader questions

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Doug Fir, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Doug Fir

Doug Fir New Member

I'm looking for some advice on what I need to spend for a good pair of waders. Since the box under the tree that I thought might be waders turned out to be the kid's present to the dog, I'm on my own. I'd rather spend more to get quality, but do I really need to have the most expensive Simms gear? How about the boots for the waders too? All of my fishing is in Hood Canal. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Doug you can get a high priced set of waders with a great guarantee or a much more affordable pair and when they leak you can patch them yourself. Eventually I think all waders will leak. I have had great inexpensive waders and horrible ones. I've had great expensive ones and horrible ones. You can opt for a warmer boot foot version or get the more common stocking foot waders with wading boots. You can go neoprene or breathable. Let your budget dictate where you go. There are lots of sources for these items, many site sponsors here for starters. I hope the dog was happy and that you get what you need to fish the sound.

3. Tyler Watters

Tyler Watters Stickin' pigs.

If you don't want to spend a ton, I would get Cabela's stocking foot breathables. They are very inexpensive and I have had mine for probably about 8 years now and haven't had a problem.

4. NomDeTrout

NomDeTrout Fly Guy Eat Pie

Media:
  5. Don Barton

Don Barton Member

Media:
    I have been very pleased with my two pairs of higher end Simms stocking foot wadders. When the first set was eght years old and had seen approx 150 days of fairly hard use, I sent them back to Simms for service. For about $75 they changed out the boot foots with new booties and fixed all the pin holes. They now work as well as they did when new. They certainly don't look new but I don't care.

I have two suggestions. If you know for sure what you would like to buy, you can probably find lasts year's model new on eBay for 30 to 40% off.

Also, because you are going to fish the salt, make sure your boots are large enough. I wear a 10.5 street shoe and have used Simms size 12 boots. Most of the time that is the right combination. But sometimes I wish I had a size 13 boot so I could put more socs on my foot. Because you are going to be fishing hoods cannal my experience says you boot should be no less than 2 sizes larger than your street shoe.

Bootfooots are the best but they are also the most expensive.

6. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    personally, here's what has worked best for me...Dan Baileys. 250+ days easily on one of the older pair of the lightweights.

here's what I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole: anything made for Cabelas. every pair of waders I've had from them has started leaking within 10 trips.

I currently have a pair of the Patagonia Watermaster lights and they fit great, I haven't had them long enough to really say anything about how long they'll last.

good luck,
    Randy

7. Clay Carney

Clay Carney Member

I usually have good luck with Cabelas stuff in general but I tried three pairs of their guide tech and they all leaked after about 10 days. Now I have Simms. I have had some cheapo brands for $70 and they lasted a couple of years and had the expensive kind that only lasted a year or so. The good thing about Cabelas is that they take them back without questions, Cabelas brand or not. Try on the boots with the waders to make sure you get a good fit.

8. wet line

wet line New Member

Something that needs to be considered is how mobile are you. Myself I cover a lot of ground and have little regard for brush and other obstacles. With that in mind I opt for a relatively light weight breathable wader and boots that are as light as possible.
    The Simms I have been using for the last couple of years have served me well. Not the high priced ones but a pair that ran around the $150 price range and the boots a bit over $100. I cannot remember for sure what Simms call them so no help there.

Another consideration is sole style. There is a lot of controversy regarding felt and the day is coming when we will be forced to use an alternative. Regardless I would recommend installing studs. Studs make a huge difference on slippery surfaces. To slip and fall while wading is always a very bad thing. There is nothing graceful about going in for a dunk. Neopremes will cause your legs to float up and the upper body wants to go down. Breathables fill with water and want to drag you down. This is experience talking and not mumbo jumbo theory! Studs have saved my butt many times.

Waders and boots should be tried on before purchasing. A good fit is essential. Puget Sound Fly Co has a good selection and may be worth your time to have them help you getting what you need.

Dave

9. Doug Fir

Doug Fir New Member

Thanks to all for the good advice.

10. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    I just bought a pair of Filson waders. I'm very impressed. At half the price of a pair of top-of-the-line Simms, you get thicker fabric. Since Filson is located in Seattle and all their products are covered by an unconditional guarantee, all you have to do is bring it back to the store on 4th Ave. South, and you can either replace it or get a refund--no questions asked (just keep your receipt). The waders also come in "robust" cut sizes for those with larger trunk to height ratios. Preston Singletary reviewed them in Flyfishing and Tying Journal and thrashed them for several months before writing the article. They passed muster with flying colors.

--Dave E.

11. coastal cutthroat

coastal cutthroat Member

I've had a pair of cheaper Dan Bailey breathables for about 9 or 10 years now (the original blue ones); I use them in fresh water streams and lakes and now in salt, no leaks and I'm happy. I did buy a pair of sticky rubber soled boots that I use in the sound (instead of felt soles), I get less crud on the soles as I wade and better footing from them.

12. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

For years I've used Simms waders. They leak and I have sent them back for repair which was done. But I fell in August and hurt my leg. It was nearly impossible to but on the stockingfoot waders and then the boots so I went to Cabelas and bought the cheapest pair of coated, bootfoot waders (about $70) and I've been using them in the salt for a couple of months. They are a little baggy but who cares. My feet stay warm and they haven't leaked yet. It seems to me that most waders are built pretty much the same so I probably won't buy another pair of Simms. Rather, I can take that same money and buy three pairs of less expensive waders and if they leak they become disposables.

13. Kerfwappie

Kerfwappie Member

Media:
    Those of you who mostly fish the salt, do you ever have a problem with your waders delaminating? I bought a pair of Winchester duck hunting waders last year because they were cheap in price and looked almost bullet proof. About halfway through the year the shell began to separate from the PVC. They still kept the water out until yesterday. I noticed a leak in the crotch. So, how are the other brands when it comes to problems like this?
    Thanks,
    Eric

14. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    I think it depends on what day of the week they were made, and whether the person making them was "hungover" or not from the previous evening... I bought a pair of Dan Bailey lightweights last summer, wore them 5-6 times and they leaked. I sent them in and they replaced them within 10 days. The new replacements leaked immediately. I sent them in and they sent me their $350-$400 guide waders. They haven't leaked yet since September. Prior to these I owned a pair of Hodgeman's for $99 that lasted for 3 years before leaking... Go figure. My feeling now is to buy some $99 models from whomever and replace them every 2-3 years.

15. molokai

molokai New Member

Leakage can't always be predicted, but make sure you get the fold-down top option, and gravel guards or you're more likely to have problems. Ample chest pockets are great too. Seems like the manufactirers are starting to embed more pockets these days.

16. Lahar

Lahar New Member

Whatever you buy, please consider buying from one of the local Fly shops. I am sure most of you go to these shops to buy flies and get tips on the local fisheries. That is called service and your "payment" for this service is to buy ALL of your gear from them. You are just supporting a corporation when you buy from Cabelas, not a local small business. Secondly, do your best to buy American made products. I suspect (but do not know for sure) that Cabelas brand items are made in China...

17. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

18. Noble Fir

Noble Fir New Member

Doug,
    Stick with the Filson waders they match your other Filson gear ;)
    Noble

19. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    For the salt, buy a cheapo pair of waders, and don't use your high end wading boots in the salt either. Low end Cabelas, 3 years of moderately hard use from their Bluestream, then throw away when they start to leak.

20. BruceAC

BruceAC Member

ORVIS....LL BEAN...SIMMS
    waders or boots... they stand behind their products with great customer service and value
    just pick your pricepoint.... u can't go wrong