Wader questions

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Doug Fir, Dec 25, 2009.

1. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

There are alternatives besides Simms & Cabelas. The above example is one of the reasons I have worn DB's for years. And will continue to wear DB's when I wear these out. Good, well thought out product design, reasonably priced, backed up by impeccable customer service. Same goes for Korkers guide boots with the Boa laces. Put whatever sole you want on them (no one makes macho studs like Korkers), tighten the laces and be done with it. You can tighten those things up in freezing snow,,,, with mittens on.... And they will stay tight all day.

2. NomDeTrout

NomDeTrout Fly Guy Eat Pie

Media:
    Anybody have much experience with William Joseph V2 waders? I've been seeing them on clearance at several different shops but enver really checked them out. Price seems great though.

3. davec

davec Member

Support your local fly shop!
    Try them on before buying. Fit and comfort count and this can not be done on line.
    Buy from a source that will work with you on warrantee issues.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    Dave C

4. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    I've used a pair of Simms breathable waders in the saltwater for 3 years and they have held up very well (~150 outings). I sent them in once for a $45 maintenance and they are better than ever. The Simms leather, rubber sole & studded guide wading boots are great and have endured tons of punishment in the salt. Dan Baileys's waders have a good reputation too. I try to buy fishing equipment made in the USA and both these companies are in Montana.

5. Korean_fly

Korean_fly New Member

I blew out my waders a week ago for the second time in the past 8 months and I will replace them with the SIMMS G3. I have never had a pair of SIMMS and have only worn Orvis and L.L. Bean. The question I have is, how true is the sizing for their waders? Some room to move around or are they really spot on with their size charts? Thanks in advance :)

Adrian

6. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    I stick with my Redington waders. Half the price of Simms and they hold up just as long.

7. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

If you're going to go expensive then buy Patagonia, real warranty and real customer service. They support the issues we care about and don't screw the smaller local shops by selling through Cabelas. Orvis would be a close second with good product in all price ranges.

8. John Hilt

John Hilt YeeeeHaaw

iagree 100%
    Best waders I've owned and the price is right!

9. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

My previous waders were the William Joseph V2 waders that you inquired about. They lasted about 8 months, and they are not as durable as my new waders (Simms Head Waters). After 6 months, the heel of the neoprene feet started to leak. However, I do a lot of bush whacking and a lot of river hiking, and that definitely took its' toll. In addition, the customer service could have been a lot better (it seemed like it took them along time to get anything done; this includes updating me on the condition of my waders). My conclusion is that they were not the best pair of waders for me, given the way that I fish. However, that does not mean that they wouldn’t be a good match for you. It just depends on how you take care of them, and how much you abuse them. Anyhow, that is just my two cents.

10. Fly Boy

Fly Boy .

Media:
    I still have my original 5-layer Simms breathables. 12 years of freshwater use and never a leak (knock on wood.) I have a backup pair of Orvis ready to go <strike>when</strike> if needed.

11. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    I'm ready to send my 4th pair of Dan Baileys back (3 within the year)! If they leak again, I will ask for a refund. I rest my case...

12. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'm surprised to hear this, because I've had my Dan Baileys for 4 years without a leak. Maybe you got a pair of lemons.

13. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    I'm surprised also. They should paint them yellow.... bawling:

14. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    my first pair of Bailey lightweights leaked at a seam within a few months. "monday morning waders"?
    yes, their warranty service is great
    no, the new pair doesn't leak.

15. Korean_fly

Korean_fly New Member

Thanks for the responses. I got the SIMMS G3. I love Patagonia stuff and respect their commitment to the environment 1% etc. I have a bunch of their outerwear and clothing but I had a chance to pick up the SIMMS for a great price, so I went with those. Next round I'll buy the Patagonia Guidewaters, the merino grid in the booty looks super comfy and would be welcomed on those frigid days. Cheers!