waders

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by woodchuck, May 4, 2002.

1. woodchuck

woodchuck New Member

Home Page:
    Looking to get the wife and I into some breathable waders for fishing our backyard stream the Entiat. We are wondering the pros and cons of bootfoot versus stocking foot and wading shoes.
    woodchuck

2. chrisnwflyfish

chrisnwflyfish New Member

Home Page:
    If you want quick and dirty, go with the boot foot waders. They are easy to get on and will ususally keep your feet warmer. However, if you are going to spend a lot of time on the water (Most of the day) or will do a lot of hiking, go with the stocking foot waders. They are more comfortable for both a long day of fishing and for covering a lot of ground.

Chris Grieve
    CJ's Fly Fishing Adventures
    www.northwestflyfishingadventures.com :HMMM

3. Chinook Electric

Chinook Electric New Member

I've sure had good luck with Simms waders. Had both neopreme and goretex and found them both to be durable. The time I used the neopremes for duck hunting (don't do it!) I ripped a hole in them. Sent them back to the factory and they repaired for a reasonable fee.

4. union2k2

union2k2 New Member

the stocking foot is more comfortable. plus if your felt on the shoe wears off you can buy another pair of boots. and if you dont want to pay a fee to get your waders fixed you could always use gasket sealer or JB quickweld

5. guest

guest Guest

I might be old,but I'm good

I don't know too much about waders but I prefer the stocking foot ones as wading shoes/boots are lighter than built in ones.
    You mentioned that your fishing the Entiat. I hope you know that it's closed at least it was last year. I haven't seen the regs for this year yet.

Only open at the mouth and about at the head waters.
    Jim

6. caddisaction

caddisaction New Member

If you decide to go with neopreme waders they fit more snug, plus youll sweat more in warmer weather. verses wadelite breathables are more expensive but lighter weight and if youre standing in river water alot they tend to be colder so you will have to get fleece pants underneath them. I have hodgeman neopremes and was warm all day with wool socks on but they werent as loose as I would like. You waver the differences. Sportco has some good deals

neopremes $40.00 to $50.00
    wadelites $60.00 on up

caddisaction :HMMM :HMMM

7. woodchuck

woodchuck New Member

Home Page:
    Jim
    The Entiat River is open above Entiat Falls in season. It was also open for whitefish a few weeks back and a number of people had a blast hooking steelhead and salmon in the 30" catagory at the mouth on their #14 hooks.
    woodchuck

8. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

Which is probably why the Entiat, Methow et al. will not be open next year for "whitefish" fishing. The WDFW is pretty well aware that people were targeting ESA listed steelhead with size 14 flies on those rivers this winter. (I can almost hear the conversation: "Son, isn't that a steelhead fly you have on the end of your 7 weight rod." "No, sir, Mr. Game Warden - a size 14 weighted green butt skunk is a common whitefish pattern. And I ain't stupid enough to fish for "whitefish" with a seven weight. Why everyone knows a 7 weight is what you'd use to catch steelhead. This here's a 5 weight.")

They're listed for a reason . . .

9. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

Bootfoots are definitely warmer, and all else being equal, probabaly a little less expensive than stocking-foots and boots. Plus a lot less hassle to get in and out of. Possibly a little more durable around the bottoms. As far as I'm concerned, there the advantages end, and they don't outweigh the cons.

Bootfoots generally just come with SM, M, L, and XL (etc)sizing in the feet, so the chances of finding one that fits your foot really well are relatively slim. Even if they fit perfect, they're still just a slip-on rubber boot, not very good for walking long distances, let alone hiking, and they provide precious little ankle support when wading on medium and large cobble. A good pair of wading boots can make the difference between an enjoyable day and a twisted ankle, or at least some blisters, and even a medium-priced boot will outperform bootfoot waders.

Besides that, you'll both look a lot cooler in stocking-foots and boots, and this is flyfishing, after all.

I'd only recomend bootfoots if you're going to do alot of winter fishing (they are ALOT warmer), or if for some reason you'll be needing to get completely in and out of your waders all day long.

PS: Mykiss is right; they're listed for a reason. Anglers who think it's clever to outsmart the rules shouldn't even get to fish for whitefish.

10. Kf3er

Kf3er New Member

I fish in Simms Guide wieght bootfoots and I like them alot. I tried a pair of neoprene foot with boots and my feet froze. I've stood in the Stilly, Sky, and Skagit in the dead of winter and my feet were nice and toasty with my bootfoots. I can't hike 5 miles and fish all day in them and they don't pack. But no ankle or blister problems and, boy, do they go on fast! I like 'em.

11. circlespey

circlespey Member

Media:
    As people have said below, bootfoots are completely superior in the cold around here in the wintertime. But, they tend to come in the more expensive varieties (like the Simms guide weights). If you are just doing warmer weather trout fishing then an inexpensive pair of breathables and even a cheap pair of boots are more comfortable. For the quality and price, I don't think anything compares to the Simms Lightweight goretex for under $200. Anything else for less $$ you are asking for leaks and repairs, although some people do have good luck.

12. superflie

superflie New Member

Whatever you do, don't buy Hodgman waders. They suck. End of discusion. :ANGRY

13. guest

guest Guest

I might be old,but I'm good

I've had a pair for three years and no leaks yet. And these were the cheap ones 49.95 Jim :THUMBSUP