NFR Wading Boot resouled

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jon Brengan, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Jon Brengan

Jon Brengan flyfishing addict

Just thought I'd say that I had my Simms Freestones resouled at Dave Page Cobbler in Seattle (Fremont) - they are like new again, I just thought I'd present this if anyone of you out there in Sea-town needed a good place to have this done. I had used this guy previously to resoul my Telemark Ski boots and they did a stellar job. This job was no exception, very impressed!!
    JB

2. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Dave did a great job on my Galiber Peutereys, PAs, and a pair of REI rebranded boots; substituting newer/better soles, and even changing the shank to make the boots better than new waaaay back when. He's DA MAN!

3. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Yep, Dave Page do quality work!

4. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not to rain too hard on the Dave Page parade, but I had REI send him some Vasque Wasatch GTX backpackers I'd worn the soles out on. Within 3 months of getting them back, the new soles he'd applied had come loose on both toes. REI not only refunded what I spent on the resole job (~$90) but refunded my original purchase price on the boots too.

I get that shit happens from time to time, but I'd rather it'd happened to someone else instead. The main problem was that I was out a pair of boots during prime hiking season.

K

5. Bob Anderson

Bob Anderson Member

I saw this thread and thought it would be a story about our favorite resident author finding inner peace.

I'm calling the Grammar Police!

6. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Very subtle!

7. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Sorry to hear about Kent's issue. Stuff happens. I'll tell you that when Dave did things like changed out the proprietary Galiber soles with a newer more aggressive Vibram type and changed a full steel to fiberglass shank (needed for vertical ice; the steel had actually broken and was cutting the welt stitching), and put grippier softer rubber EB soles on my (cooler looking red) PAs they were resouled with much better performance than new.

8. I'm always on the lookout for fishing boots with soul!

I'll also second Dave Page for any boot repair. He did a pair of wading boots for me once too (as well as climbing boots in the distant past). I needed to provide the felt for the RESOLING, however.

I suspect Kent's experience was a one-off.

D

9. Jon Brengan

Jon Brengan flyfishing addict

Sorry I'm not grammatically correct...but you got the Idea!! Maybe w/o even knowing it getting my boots fixed actually added something to them - I sure thought the job done was spectacular maybe even adding some soul to them boots....LOL!! I knew that if I published something wrong here someone would be sure to point out my mistake....

10. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Kent's experience proves that anything can happen. At work I send a lot of footwear to Dave Page for repair, and haven't heard a bad thing yet. And I've seen several pair of footwear come back from Dave Page without repair because the rest of the boot wasn't in good enough condition to support the life of the new soles. I respect that a lot, to give up making money to maintain high standards of quality. Having said that, I'm glad REI made it right for Kent's issue.

11. Mike

Mike Active Member

I have used Dave 3 times to resole my felt soled Simms. Each time it was with the same boots and same replacement soles. The first replacement went well. The second wasn't satisfactory. The felt soles began peeling off after just a few trips. Dave contributed the error to the boots and soles. The fix to the "failure of the boots and soles" has worked out well so far even though I had to pay for new soles and the labor. He should have at least covered the labor cost.

Sometimes things work and sometimes they don't. I understand that, but I did not need his attitude. Check out his reveiws on Yelp. Personally, I think that they are accurate. He may be good most of the time. But when he screws up, he is a s%*thead.

Just my opinion after 3 transactions with the fellow.

12. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

I'll put in a plug for Swanson's on 45th for good shoe and luggage repair, never had my Wadin' Boots resoled there

I did get re-souled this past week on the Big Lost, here's the brief trip report:

Clearwater- just drove by it, lots of tubers
    Lochsa- not so much, saw a fire helicopter take a bucket of water out though, pretty deft flying in the narrow river valley
    Gallatin- Fly guys every 100 yards around Big Sky wearing waders when water temps were 65 and air temps 95
    Firehole- Closed, though swam in the canyon swimming hole and with the goggles on saw a bunch of nice fish
    Madison- at Yellowstone- Closed
    Soda Butte- Cutts, and of size and beauty too
    Gibbon below the falls- Closed
    Gibbon above the falls- didn't try
    Yellowstone Lake- nope
    Lewis river and lake- Nope
    Gros Ventre- running way low
    Flat Creek- Didn't try
    Snake- Running high and no boat, but boy did it look fun

Big Lost- I found inner peace and great joy....

Silver Creek, Boise, Grand Ronde, Yakima----ran out of time, did the Boise to Seattle drive today....