wading jacket vs rain jacket

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Danielocean, Oct 11, 2013.

1. C&CRods

C&CRods Member

Its easy for fly fishing to be a rich mans sport. I've been fishing in a 50 rain jacket for quite some time. I can honestly say I haven't lost a fish, gotten wet or felt unequipped without a wading jacket. There is an expensive version of everything. Being functional and packable for trips Is all I want.

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I told me wife I would like a wading Jacket. She bought me one. It's a Gore Tex. Got it on sale at Cabela's. I got it three years ago and it's still hanging in my closet. I don't go out in the rain and fish anymore. Hell, I might melt.

I think the reason for it was I just would like to have one.

It was under 200 smackers.

3. troutpounder

troutpounder Active Member

hey man I know it is pricey, but the money I spent on my simms guide jacket was the best investment i have made when it comes to fishing.

4. Dan Page

Dan Page Active Member

John,
    Yes, that is the kind of jacket I'm talking about. Doing more research and see the Redington and the Hardy and the Guideline jackets are similar.
    Thx.

5. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:

Dan, I love the River Salt. I don't have a lot of experience with the Redington or Hardy, but I have heard bad things about the Guideline. Orangeradish had a Guideline and it leaked out of the box. Then the warrenty issues that insued were a nightmare.

6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Troutpounder,

Either you're exaggerating, or your priorities don't add up as a fisherman IMO. I think rainwear is important, but it's way the fukk down the list in importance and best investments in fishing the way I see it. I don't have to go fishing in the rain, but rainwear, even mediocre rainwear, allows me to so. Far more important and best investments I ever made when it comes to fishing were a rod and reel, both cheap, a decent tapered fly line, and some flies. Even waders are more important and a better fishing investment in terms of opening up more fishing opportunity. Rain gear is on the list, but it's way down the list compared to other things that are actually essential for fishing. Yeah, I'm being an ass, but you're way over-stating the value of your Simms wading jacket.

Sg

7. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Yeah, the Patagucci seems like a nice piece of work but for much less than half the price of that particular jacket (MSRP of $349) one might consider the L.L. Bean wading jacket.

Check it out here: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/3644...-paclite-stowaway-wading-jacket-with-gore-tex.

Granted it has the front bellows pockets that someone said they don't like but it's constructed of Goretex Paclite which AFAIK has proven to be a reliable material and it's pretty lightweight compared to others.

I also like Freestone's recommendation of the Precip jacket. Although it's a bit longer than most "wading jackets" I've always had good luck with Marmot products and the price is right (especially if you purchase it from STP!).

8. Christian Brewer

Christian Brewer Super Slacker

Media:
    Totally agree!

I love my G3 jacket (or any other well made fishing rain jacket) over my regular rain jackets because:

- Its super durable
    - The hand pockets are perfect location for my non swinging hand
    - I can cinch the sleeves down when I reach into the water without getting a wet arm
    - It has enough pockets to store what I need on the water without being in the way of my casting...and more importantly when I'm rowing.
    - Its had a bunch of hooks in it and somehow still keeps me dry

I've had my G3 jacket for a few years now so now I'm in the mode of having to retreat it every year with the gore-tex restore in the dryer stuff. I will continue to rely on this jacket until it falls apart which I don't expect that to happen any time soon. I stuggled with paying those dollars for the jacket but in my case it was money that well invested because I'm in it all of the time...and staying dryer than a regular rain jacket.

Good luck in your decisions,
    Christian

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk now Free

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    For years I used a regular rain coat. It fit over my vest when ever I wore one. Cheapest 20 bucks I spent to keep dry. Yes I would sweat in it but something like a sweat shirt would soak that up and I'd be dry.

If it hadn't of been stolen, I'd still be wearing it.

10. slim

slim Fish or Ski...Fish or ski....fish!

I too for years fished in a cheap rain jacket that worked fine. I usually didn't fish in the rain until I started steelheadeing, then found the need for a more lightweight rain jacket. Being the cheap SOB I am, I waited until the perfect gortex one (Cloudveil) came up on a discount site and got it. And what I mean by perfect is it was cheap, right around $100. I have used it for 5 years now and love it.

11. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

I own a longer cabela's $100 rain jacket and a G3. Both work fine. I've had a couple Simms jackets and the only reason I got rid of them was I grew out of them. Too many beers not enough hiking. I'd say as long as a jacket is comfortable and keeps you fishing when it's raining that's all you need. There is nothing worse than having a jacket fail 3 miles into an 8 mile float on a rainy day.

12. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Media:
    I agree with a lot of guys here who state how unnecessary it is to drop 4 bills on a jacket. Maybe I would spend the money one day but I could really use that towards my boat purchase or even a guided trip.

13. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

Being one who enjoys the finer things in life, like swinging for chromers in the pissing rain, I feel like spending atleast good money on a rain jacket that is quality ( I use a Simms G3 and for less wet situations, a Marmot rain shell) is pretty important. That is if you like being dry and comfortable. I know its badass being all wet and cold and fishing anyway, but you'll have a much better time with quality raingear, like quality waders. Also, in my opinion theres nothing available that works as well as Gore Tex

troutpounder likes this.
  14. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    Started with a cheap Northface rain shell, but after a full day on the water in the rain, my shoulders were wet. I then started using my Outdoor Research backpacking shell which worked GREAT! It's a little big so I can layer, it's packable, and it's goretex. I then stumbled on a killer deal I couldn't pass up for a Redington wading jacket...I have yet to use it, but by God as soon as it rains I'm going to put that thing to the test!

In my mind, the only real reason to have a dedicated wading jacket is for the pockets and neoprene cuffs that prevent water from seeping back up your sleeves. If this isn't a big deal to you, go with your regular hiking shell and call it good.

15. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I uses a couple of different jackets.
    If I plan to hike a lot or it is fairly warm, I use a Simms PacLite jacket. Good for beach fishing since it packs down to a small size.
    If sitting in the driftboat or raft, I like the Patagonia River Salt jacket.
    I also have a Helly Hansen rubber rain coat. It is great on chilly mornings or running up river in the sled. It does a super job of breaking the wind.
    If I plan to row all day I pass on the rubber rainjacket regardless of how cold it it.
    SF

16. JayB

JayB Active Member

Media:

The only differences that matter (to me) in terms of construction are the gasket-style cuffs at the wrists and the shorter length. Very nice to be able to dunk your arm into the water when you need to without having a ton of water leak in. Doubly nice not to have that same water flow down the sleeve and along your trunk the next time you lift your arm to cast....

The shorter cut is way less important, but it's a feature I like for wading.

It looks like the Patagonia Deep Water Jacket (what I've got) has been discontinued for some reason, so you should be able to pick one up for between $100 and $200.

The design/quality is great, and it's light and packable enough that I never think twice about bringing it along during the rainy season.

17. John Weston

John Weston Member

wow, I like the looks of the ll bean jacket. that's nice looking, I just wonder how good it is. I use just a reg togs rain jacket. seems to do the trick but I would like to have the ll bean one if it's good.
    Outlaw

18. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Media:
    I bet it's good, but ll bean has an excellent 100% satisfaction guarantee if it isn't.

19. Pcolkitt

Pcolkitt New Member

20. troutpounder

troutpounder Active Member

I am going to disagree with you. Unless you are only a fair weather fisherman rain gear is tops. There is nothing worse than being cold and wet. We live in Washington and I don't know if you have noticed this, but it rains here quite a bit. If you want to do any fall, winter, or early spring fishing rain gear has to be a top priority.

Rob Hardman and Russ Kendall like this.