Waist-high wading pants: Cloudveil vs. Simms

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Lugan, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

I'm thinking about buying a pair of waist-high waders since I spend a ton of time on small streams.

Does anyone have experiences to report about either the Cloudveil Hellroaring or Simms Headwaters waist-high wading pants?

In particular, I'm curious about how breathable they are, how accurate fit is vs. sizing chart, and of course durability.

Thanks!

2. billyspey

billyspey New Member

i am waiting on the new simms with a zipper and pockets new for 2010

3. Flyphishguy

Flyphishguy New Member

if you have the patience, wait for the new simms G3 guide pants, in spring 2010. Looks to be a great product.

4. Tom Savelle

Tom Savelle Learning enough to illustrate how little I know

Hey Lugan-

I have a pair of the Cloudveil pants.

I also fish mainly small water, so I thought they'd be cooler and more comfortable. They breathe well, but since they ride on the waist like a pair of jeans, i get the sensation that they're trapping heat below the waist (wheras I sense that heat and vapor vent out of my waders when I loosen the belt and the cinch-cord...). So, I've taken to using the suspenders and opening the fly and button when I'm not wading. Even if I am imagining it, the sensation of venting makes me feel cooler.

Having pockets on my hips are nice. As is the easy access to the pockets on my shorts.

It has taken a bit to get used to wading in thigh-high-plus water with them. I've been a little overly cautious about attempting some deeper crossings, even ones that "appear" waist deep. Turns out my depth perception is not as great as I fashion it to be... Anyway, that caution has cut me off from water I've wanted to fish more than once. A compromise, since they're ideal for 98% of the water I've had them in.

5. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Why pay more? At about half the price of the Simms and Cloudveil versions, I bought a pair of Hodgman waist-high stockingfoot waders about 5-6 years ago on sale for just $79 (MSRP is now $132, http://www.hodgman.com/dyn_prod.php?p=STRW413&k=76804). They've been bulletproof for both shallow wading and in high-floating tubes and 'toons.

K

6. Connor H

Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Media:
    Try the Scierra waist high's... They have a zipper and pockets. Have heard nothing but good things about the product!

7. Keaten LaBrel

Keaten LaBrel Formerly Tyinbugs

Media:
    simms...nuff said

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I had two pair of these and they both leaked in the same place................. The crotch. It's hell to find the leak on a cold day wading thru a deep hole, well a hole up to your crotch.

But why buy waist highs when most of your chest waders will roll down to your waist.

Jim

9. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

This year I bought the new Simms model that is waist high with a zipper that allows you to convert to chest high. They have suspenders so you don't have to cinch up tight on the belt, and I couldn't be happier with them. BTW-I have some G3 Guide models as well and used to roll them down most of the time, but the zippered Convertibles are much nicer if you spend a lot of time wading when it is warmer (but not warm enough for wet wading, which is my FAVORITE way to fish!) My son in law is now using my old waders. Rick

10. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    I have Simms Rivertek convertable and absolutely love em.

11. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Media:
    I have the Freestone and the G3 convertibles. I has torn the Freestone's twice. No defects, but they just are not in the same "durability" league as the G3's. I wear them down 85% of the time, but it's nice to have the option.

12. FlyShopKristin

FlyShopKristin Going Online

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Dan Bailey's. They make waist high waders, good quality and value at $199.