Waiting for the BIG Coho...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by dryflylarry, Aug 26, 2013.

1. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Well, I'm getting a little impatience, or you guys are getting ocean fish and aren't telling me! I'm waiting for that BIG BIG bulge behind my popper and the heavy fish. It hasn't happened yet, or the big one's got away from me without me knowing. I have landed 7 coho since fishing early in August using only the Miyawaki Popper exclusively, but they have all been in the 4 lb. range +-. I have had a great experience with Leland's fly. I have raised many fish this month, some lost, some short takes, some misses, but what a kick! Now, I am waiting for the big boys to show. I'm getting antsy, because I generally run off to fish Idaho and thereabouts, depending on what side road I decide to head off to. It looks like I may miss the best of the season, but last year I found fish in October. I'm thinking I may be wise to hang around in September and go to Idaho in October, but, not this year. I generally am out of here by September 15, sometimes earlier for a 2 to 3 week trout fishing dry fly trip. So, will you all please tell the ocean Coho to show up right soon!?? :)

2. Troutrageous

Troutrageous Active Member

Those trout aren't going anywhere. The coho on the other hand... Next year go to Idaho later, and make it a cast-n-blast.

3. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

I hooked my first really big coho this year over the weekend a bit north of your stomping grounds so they should be on their way down to you. All the other ones I have gotten were in that same 3-5 range. The big guy broke me off on a jump that probably brought him to eye level so if you do catch a big one and he has one of Bobs Chum Baby's in his mouth please return it :p

dryflylarry likes this.
  4. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    There is only one reason I'm taking the week of Sept 16th off....;)

Troutrageous, dryflylarry and Kcahill like this.
  5. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Patience Grasshopper . . . .

b_murph5, Cole L and dryflylarry like this.
  6. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    Yep, I say hit Idaho in October. September is the prime time! I caught one around 6ish lbs today. Wouldn't call it big big but getting better. I lost a couple other nice ones this weekend too. They're coming!

dryflylarry likes this.
  7. dryflylarry

Media:
    Ah....., yes Master.

8. dryflylarry

Media:
    Hey, now that is sounding better! :cool:

9. Nels

Nels New Member

I've caught several 3-5 lb coho this yr on my 6 weight. My first season fishing the salt .... should I move up to an 8 weight in anticipation of larger ocean fish? What do you seasoned veterans suggest?

10. dryflylarry

Media:
    Nah! It will be fine. I use a 6wt. fast action rod.

11. ten80

ten80 Active Member

8wt or prepare for a beating when you hook a 10+ lb fish!

12. Stonefish

Media:
    I keep fishing with the 6 wt. You are going to continue to catch plenty of 5-8 lbers throughout September. The six really lets the fish show off their stuff plus it won't wear your out after a full day of fishing.
    A six will handle the occasional double digit fish you hook up. If a big fish kicks your ass is that such a bad thing? ;)
    SF

Irafly and dryflylarry like this.
  13. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

If you play a wild (or factory built for that matter) fish into exhaustion, the lactic acid buildup can kill it even after you revive and release it. Is that a bad thing?

I prefer to use an appropriate size rod and a heavy tippet, which makes both of our chances better.

14. Troutrageous

Troutrageous Active Member

If you play the passive aggressive card too hard, the bad taste it leaves can kill your point even if it is a good one. Is THAT a bad thing?
    I prefer to make an appropriate argument politely*, which makes the chance of it reaching someone better.

*Obviously I didn't follow my own advice with this post, but I couldn't resist following your template. And I will keep your words on appropriate size gear in mind as I fish for coho.

Jager likes this.
  15. Stonefish

Media:
    Don,
    I can assure you I use heavy enough tippet and take the battle to fish so it will be released safely.
    Many of todays salty 6's wt could also really be considered 7's.
    SF

Denny, Irafly and Kcahill like this.
  16. ten80

ten80 Active Member

I should revise my statement to include the following:

Don brings up a good point, but I guess one should also consider whether the 6wt is fast action (and I assume it has a fighting butt), the skill of the angler, and the level of crowding at the beach to be fished. I have never regretted fishing my 9 or 10 ft 8wt rods, especially when on a busy beach where my neighbors might not appreciate me playing a fish for a long time.

I find my 8wt rod takes less effort to punch through strong winds than a lighter rod, but do agree that casting such a rod can wear out your arm after several hours.

17. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

An 8 wt. should not make you any more tired casting than a 6 wt. That, sir, is a myth. If you can cast a 6 all day, the 8 will be just as easy if you master it.

Tom Bowden and Brady Burmeister like this.
  18. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Media:
    I use a 12wt spey and just hoist them up on the beach. :rolleyes: A 6wt will work just fine if you play them aggresively. I normally use a 7wt and the fight rarely lasts more than 2 minutes. we are talking 6 to 12 pound fish, not 100 pound tarpon which are commonly fished with 10wts.

19. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    I can see some good points in both arguments here. Last year I caught a couple of my biggest fish earlier in the run when I was still using a 6wt. I was able to play them both to the beach quickly and without walking them down the entire beach. A fast action 6wt has plenty of backbone to handle a hot ocean fish.

Steve, I agree that most fisherman can cast an 8wt all day without issue. However, technically it does require more engery to cast as the rod, reel, and line are all heavier. I have an 8wt Redington RS4 and it's fairly heavy and tiring to cast. Switching up to a lighter 6wt there's a noticable difference in the ease of casting. That said, I'm sure an 8wt Sage One would be a pleasure to cast all day, but in the budget category it's a little different I think.

This year I have settled on a 9'6" 7wt Redington CPS and it seems to be about perfect and the best of both worlds. It casts much nicer than my 8wt and has plenty of backbone to punch into the wind or show a coho who's boss when the beach is crowded. I haven't used my 6wt or 8wt since getting it.

dryflylarry likes this.
  20. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Media:
    8wt reels, rods and lines are heavier! they take more effort to cast....
    just take one of each out to the beach with you and it will be very obvious. I know this to be true because i run the same exact line configuration on both rods and the bigger rod will def put more stress on your arms in a full days worth of casting.

dryflylarry likes this.