Waiting for the BIG Coho...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by dryflylarry, Aug 26, 2013.

1. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Steve, I know that you are a great caster and can launch an 8wt line with ease, but I believe you are speaking an often heard dogma that defies the laws of physics. I do not mean this as an insult to your integrity or fishing ability, I just question the basis of this mantra that I keep on hearing from fly fishermen.

Physics dictates that a heavier object takes more energy to move as the force required to move an object is a function of it's mass and acceleration. Given that a 6wt rod/reel/line weighs less than an 8wt combination (same model and manufacture, but smaller) and a similar desired acceleration (assuming casting speed remains the same for any weight rod), the lighter rod requires less force (energy) to cast. It can be argued that a heavier reel balances the heavier rod and line, however a heavier object has greater inertia which requires greater force to overcome. For example, I don't think anyone would argue that a 16 wt rod requires less effort to cast than a 1wt rod, the difference between 8 and 6wt is just smaller, and may be negligible for proficient caster.

Anyways, this discussion is beyond the point of this thread, so it need not be pursed further. I think that this comes down to the fact that either my setup is not balanced correctly or I am not an awesome caster, so in my opinion, an 8wt rod can be tiresome to cast all day. This may be the case fore others as Stonefish and others have mentioned.

If money was no object, I would use a high-end, 10ft 7wt with 8wt shooting head line for beaches. Currently, I have a medium-soft-action 6wt and a fast-action 8wt rod. The choice of using a heavier rod is a no-brainer for me.

2. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I base my thoughts on an 8 wt being more tiring on my own fishing.
    I generally try to make the most of my fishing time, so fishing 6+ hours per day isn't uncommon.
    To me, coho fishing is a numbers game. The more casts you make with your fly in the zone the better your odds of hooking up.
    I have the same outfit in both a 6 and 8 and find the 6 infinitely more enjoyable and less tiring over a full day of fish.
    Best thing you can do is fish with whatever rod wt you find enjoyable.
    Bring on the ocean coho!
    SF

dryflylarry and wadin' boot like this.
  3. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    Saturday morning at Casey a pod of ocean coho came through and there were 6 or 8 landed. One fish was 30 inches and well over 12 pounds! Very nice fish. Plenty of nice 8 pound fish in the bunch as well. My fishing partner landed one fish twice. Had him well up the beach but the fish scrambled back to water before anyone could get over to help. The fly held and he was landed after two additional long runs. fly was a very sparse sand lance pattern.

4. ptphisher

ptphisher Member

Jeff, where is Casey, is it up in the north sound?

5. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    Ft. Casey is a State Park on Whidbey, across the inlet from Port Townsend. You could walk across the ferry and fish it but you would be passing up good water that does not require a ferry commute.

Plenty of fishing beaches here but the fishiest looking water is near the point.

6. Nels

Nels New Member

Thank you all for weighing in! I like the idea of a 10ft 7 wt - maybe I'll find one under the Christmas tree this year :)

7. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    OK, I'll settle this! 6 wt. rods and BIG ocean Coho are on the menu! :D

Kcahill likes this.
  8. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

This, i have a newer stiff 6wt and a 1980s graphite III 7 wt and the 6wt is way more rod. I havent cast an older 8wt but I am betting they would be close.

9. Cuttbow82

Cuttbow82 Active Member

I'm heading up to the island to visit my father for labor day weekend and may very well go up to Casey. Is the long public beach area south of the coupeville-port townsend ferry terminal any good? I've seen guys fishing there a few times.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  10. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Plenty of beach to spread out on and there were TONS of pinks moving through on Saturday. Current is pretty wicked there which might be a good thing for coho, but I suspect it also gets fairly windy.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  11. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

We aren't talking pounds. We are talking ounces here. The difference would be in the action of the rod and the adjustments one has to make for the heavier weight line. Given properly balanced outfits, there should be little or no difference. But who cares, anyway? Go fishing.

12. SeaRun Fanatic

SeaRun Fanatic Member

Bingo! 8 wt with 10-12# tippet and horse 'em. IMO, if fish are getting into backing more than verrry infrequently, you're dishing too light!

13. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Media:
    DFL, is this what you're looking for?

[​IMG]

14. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Well..........!! If that's a coho, that's a beast!! Hell yes! :eek:

15. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Media:
    What you describe is very close to what I'm running most of the times these days: 7 weight 9'6" Sage One with a 8 weight full length RIO Outbound. The One isn't overloaded with the 8 weight One and it is light enough for 3 straight hours of casting without wearing out my arm. It also has enough power for the ocean Coho I've encountered this year and a couple of 16+ pound Kings as well as enough bend to maintain tension when Coho do their head shake freak out routine. I'm not sure if an extra 6 inches would help or not.

16. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

It's not what you'd expect, but the longer rod doesn't give you more fighting (lifting) power, though the extra length affects your cast positively, and eases the shock on your tippet. To understand this, think of lifting a bucket with a broomstick handle. First hold it a foot from the weight, then try it further back. The longer the shaft, the less lifting power you get. I didn't understand this when I was first told it, but it explains why heavy rods have a foregrip.

I have the One in a 9' for a seven weight. It wouldn't cast as far as yours, but it has more leverage on a fish. It works better for me with an 8 wt line also.

17. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    a 6wt. is just fine for almost any sized coho. my largest hatchery fish (the only ones that got weighed on my boat) was landed quickly on a 6wt. the main reason i fish an 8 for coho is the lines i cast from a boat, not because i needed the extra ummph in fighting them. if i beach fished for coho i would fish a 6wt with zero hesitation, unless i needed to throw larger flies or poppers.

i think we often forget that we match the rod to the size of flies we throw as well as the size of the fish.

if you have any experience fighting fish a 6 wt will work fine... if you have zero experience an 8 wt isn't gonna help that much.

Jonathan Tachell and dryflylarry like this.
  18. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Caught my first 8# PS coho three weeks ago (a nice hatchery resident fish). Have also caught several ocean coho (orange instead of red flesh) up to 7#s. They are clearly larger than last year and am starting of hearing of more larger fish.

Fished the mouth of the Columbia last week for several days and with gear managed several coho in the middle teens (average was ~ 8 # and the largest hatchery was 15#). There was a fish in the upper teens checked at Everett over the weekend. While large coho can be found almost anywhere in Puget Sound the Snohomish fish seem to have a larger portion of large fish that most of the PS basins

Rod length and weights are more a matter of conditions being fished and the angler's comfort in handling fish that can reach into the middle teens (or beyond).

Curt

19. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Media:

Bingo

20. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    I heard this "orange vs red flesh" (ocean vs resident respectively) for the first time this weekend and was wondering if there was truth to it. So that is a common way to know if the fish is a rezzie or an ocean fish? By the color of their flesh?

This weekend I caught a 6-6.5 lb fish that I would have called an "ocean coho" based on its size/shape/look alone, and a 4.5 lb fish that I would have assumed was a rezzie. After hearing about the flesh color tip and cleaning the fish I discovered the small one had orange flesh and the big one had the very red flesh like the fish I caught earlier in the season so I guess my assumption was wrong!

Thinking back to last year, I remember wondering why the bigger fish I caught tended to have more orange flesh and now I guesI know why.