Waiting for the BIG Coho...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by dryflylarry, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

You can usually tell by the scales too. The mature ocean fish that you catch usually have large set scales versus the small ones that easily come off.

2. DKL

DKL Nude to the board

Interesting. The coho I got Sunday had the flesh and scales you two mention. I had not encountered it before and thought the fish was a little different. Was a hog for its length too. However, even though it had the orange flesh and the tougher scales, it was a fin clipped hatchery fish. Are all of the hatchery coho resident, or do some go out to sea as well?

DKL

3. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Hatchery fish go out to sea as long as they aren't the late release resident fish.

4. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

The majority of both hatchery and wild coho smolts head to the ocean to feed but some of both hatchery and wild fish do most of their feeding locally (Puget Sound and eastern Straits) and are sometimes referred to as resident fish. Those fish that do stay local feeding heavily on euphausids, krill, crab spawn, etc. well into the summer. This accounts for their red flesh and excellent table fare. The resident and ocean going fish are part of the same genetic populations (hatchery and wild). The two groups also mature and spawn at approximately the same time though after a year of intense fishing relatively few resident fish survive to reach the spawning grounds.

While the early summer resident fish will have loose scales and generally be immature fish by this time of the year the maturity and scale conditions of both the ocean and resident fish will be similar.

curt

Denny, plaegreid and mtskibum16 like this.
  5. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Good info! The larger resident I caught last weekend did have large set scales which further led me to believe it was an ocean fish at the time.

6. Metalonthefly

Metalonthefly Member

my last 3 (in the last week) have all been 8+ lbs with one about 12lbs.

7. Metalonthefly

Metalonthefly Member

Wow! That's a big dog! Fly fishing?

8. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Oh Iwish that was on a fly...but it was pretty awesome anyway. I got that one trolling outside of Sekiu about 5 years ago. 23.5 Coho that would have won Olson's derby that day...had I bought a ticket.

9. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Yes, that is largest coho I have seen. Love you son's part in the photo too.

I love big coho pictures and thought about starting a thread asking for pictures of big coho to be posted, but I decided it may not go over well for some.

My largest is 16 pounds and that fish, as nice as it was, needs a second adult coho to equal the weight of your fish Sciguy. Wow!

10. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Ya my biggest on the gear rod was 17 1/2 lbs, and I'm pretty sure I could have used that one as a cutt plug to catch that monster Bill posted. What a fish.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  11. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

The crazy thing about that big coho was that it was part of a double header with the other fish being 17 lbs. We spent the rest of the day trying to find that school of beasts. I wrote up a description of the whole scene but don't know whete it is.

12. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Found it. Here is the thread: http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/456322/1.html

My description:

Absolute insanity! Chaos!When I saw that thing hit, I said "Now THAT is a good fish"...I had no idea how right I was! The moment I will not soon forget was when the big one jumped, giving me a perfect side-view. My profanity filter around the kids instantly evaporated and I yelled "Oh, $hit, that IS a coho!" Just then I looked at Neal to see if he had seen it jump. I looked beyond his stunned expression and saw his fish begin a screaming run just under the surface, leaving behind a wake not unlike a torpedo. That was cool.I'm not sure what else was going on for the next few minutes because I was focusing on my fish which was running down and away off the bow. Some how Neal managed to clear both fly rods and land his fish while stumbling around between three 4 to 7 year olds...hats off to him. Then Neal has the net on the bow and I get him in close and before I know it the fish is on board. The boys were all leaning up against the rail with their knees up to their chest to get away from the "scary sea monster." I still have kind of a goofy grin on my face. A once in a lifetime fish.The state record is 25.34 lbs. I bet we would have come within a few ounces of that had we not bled it out...and if we would have shoved a few herring down it throat!

Bagman likes this.
  13. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Ha nice! That thing is stupid big!!!

14. Denny

Denny Active Member

Great response.

15. Denny

Denny Active Member

My Sage TCR 6 weight LOVES 8 weight lines. For many modern graphite fly rods, it's not unreasonable to upline one and even two line weights, depending on the rod, the caster, the flies, and the conditions. At least, that's what Lefty Kreh says. But what the hell does he know, right? :)

16. CLO

CLO Boats and cohos

I thought my 7 weight was big enough for coho...until this weekend. I am now reconsidering that choice.

17. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Don't tell us where, but, tell us about it...?

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  18. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

I up line most of my rods. My new(to me) TCX is a 9'6" 7wt. I was not very happy with it tell I put a 8wt OutBound on it. So I guess that's really 1and 1/2 line wts. Now I'm liking it a lot.

19. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

A prominent board member has stated many times there is no reason to overline a rod. His reasoning is that you'd only do so because you don't know how to cast.
    Didn't you get the memo? ;)

Bagman, dryflylarry, PT and 2 others like this.
  20. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Yes I did get that memo. If you care to check I did not over line my rod. I "up lined it". Get the differance?;)

Stonefish and mtskibum16 like this.