Waiting Period Chum

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by mtskibum16, Oct 20, 2011.

1. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

well to bad.
    and if you use an indicator and split shot to fish with then your not a fly fisherman.
    boy you could nit pick that to death.
    get over it.

2. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    My buddy forgot some of his scent here after he visited. I'm not going to lie, I thought about putting some on my fly the other day when I couldn't get their attention. If I get another skunk day out there I probably will! haha

3. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Here is an update version of my "Dog Slayer" flies from a couple years ago for those of you who requested.
    I noticed using this type of body material increased hookups like mad compared to the floss body material in the previous pic, but noticed the chenille type material is a little less durable, but worth a massive increase in hookups.

I suggest epoxying the head and super gluing the body before wrapping with material and use strong thread. I tied a couple dozen knowing how much the chums will destroy the fly. The pic shows shows a basic #6 trout fly due to its what I had lying around at the time. I would highly recommend the Mustad 50 pack box of black salmon hooks in size 6 and 4, they are cheap and will last a while.

Tie LOTS of them with strong hooks,durable material,etc. Forget all the finesse and expensive fancy material and go to town and slay the dogs!

4. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Valium seems to help.

5. Metalonthefly

Metalonthefly Member

Chum Candy. Slow to No retrieve. Seriously, a deadrift can work well in the right current. The take is very subtle, but the fight is not.

6. Firecracker anchovie under a slip bobber with 3/8th oz. of weight does the trick... I like full intermediate lines and small sparse tied clousers with bead chain eyes in green, pink, white, and tan with a green base body. Had a blast C&R-ing a few last week in Marine area 13.

View attachment 45010 View attachment 45011

7. Jim Mcallister

Jim Mcallister AKA stillwater guy

depends on the size of fish .I prefure a 9 weight .Icaught my first dog of the year today and it was a handful at least.Thankgod for a good drag system

8. Calico Keta

Calico Keta Member

Those are very nice looking Chum Yellowlab.

9. bentrod2

bentrod2 New Member

Does anyone know if the tribe will let beach fisherman have access to Chico Creek this year ?

Thanks,

Dan

10. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Media:

11. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

at least some of you guys will have Chum to fish for. wish we did. thanks WDFW.

12. mr. bad example

mr. bad example Member

it's open to one and all..........

13. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

Legally it's open to all, but how to use that right may be more problematic. Outside of enforcement by the designated legal authorities, confrontation and potential violence may be the only (and unacceptable!) solution. From what I'm reading on the forums neither the state nor the tribal authorities seem prepared to enforce the rules on tribal members. Maybe I'm mistaken, but if I am it would seem to be a fairly common perception. Does anyone know how much enforcement the tribes are actually doing on their members?

14. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Well, let's put it this way..... I emailed the Port Gamble S'Klallam Tribe to get the phone number of their enforcement officer 5 or 6 days ago. I have NOT received a reply. Am I not happy about it? That is correct.

15. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Wasn't Chico Creek the location that caused the "they put the porta potty in the wrong location" debate on the board a few years ago. :rofl:
    I'll pass on Chico, Minter and Hoodsport for chumlies. Lots of other good locations to fish with a lot less people, nets etc.

16. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Let's not tar all the tribes and their enforcement/conservation efforts with the same brush. Here in the South there are three large tribes that harvest everything from clams to chum. I don't need the grief of identifying who I've found to be responsible, and who's not but one of these groups is a class act, and the others deserve much of the criticism I see here.

Give credit where it's due, and lean on those who abuse the resources, but try to be informed, we need all the help we can get.

17. Ben Guss

Ben Guss Member

Don, I couldn't of said it better!