Walking Trails with a Rod in Hand

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Gregg Lundgren, Aug 20, 2013.

1. jjaims

jjaims Make fishin’ your mission

I recently lost the top half of my redington rod carrying it out unstrung. After an hour or more of searching I gave up. After contacting redington they said just send it in and they would replace the whole thing....! Great company

2. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

This looks familiar ;)
    Sage is awesome at that. My olf FLi was treated with the same care and speed.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  3. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I leave mine strung, in two pieces, with the tip at the handle, and my fly hooked on the tip-top. This works for me if I have a fly on that I want to keep fishing. Especially on the extra rods I have set up for kayak fishing. I now stow them so that they are safely under the rails of my U-12, or inside the hull (thru the angled 8" center hatch in front of my seat on my Tarpon SOT). I have snagged the tip of a fully rigged spare rod sticking out the back of my U-12 when casting, and once, long ago, I broke a rod tip when I let the current push me backwards into a piling.
    I carefully rubber band both ends, but I am going thru my collection of velcro straps to find one that works for the tip and handle end. I think that the velcro strap might offer more padding and protection to the tip than the rubber band.

I usually don't break my rod down when hiking/wading along a river, unless I have to bushwhack thru some really thick tangles, or unless the trail is overgrown with blackberry brambles.

One year, for about two months of lake fishing, I never even changed my fly (Halloween Bugger), and just folded the rod in two and rubber banded it on both ends. The fly was working great for trolling and casting/stripping over dropoffs or to the shoreline, so I didn't feel the need to change anything. Except maybe for fresh rubber bands.:D

4. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Media:
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  5. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    I use slightly smaller versions of the Velcro straps to attach to the D rings on the sides of my float tubes. They make dandy rod holders without adding any weight, especially on backpacking trips.

K

Kcahill likes this.
  6. Lex Story

Lex Story Angler, Gastronomist, Artist, Jarhead, Geek

... Tenkara... there, you made me say it.

7. 10incher

10incher Active Member

Adapt and overcome! Replacing the vigor of youth with the wisdom of experience. You must have seen the day coming when you wouldn't want to stomp too far to fish, since you moved to a place where you don't have to. I call that careful planning and excellent prioritizing.

Old Man likes this.
  8. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    Oh God, it hurts. I feel old, thanks Kent.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  9. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    When I first picked up a fly rod, graphite rods were new, brittle, and largely unaffordable. Most folks still used fiberglass: brown Fenwick production rods ran about $30-$50; or you could buy honey-colored blanks and roll your own. Orvis owned the production cane rod market but a 2/2 Battenkill (the Chevy 283 of bamboo rods) was an enormous expense at just under $100.

My first 'real' job out of college paid a whopping $500 a month and $100 of that was dedicated to rent. It took me months to save enough to buy my first glass rod, a Pfleuger Medalist reel, and a SA Dry Cel line.

And you think YOU feel old!

K

Richard Olmstead likes this.
  10. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Feeling old, and being old, are two different things...

Kyle Smith, Old Man and Kent Lufkin like this.
  11. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

I stopped bushwacking after an unfortunate poison ivy bathroom insident. That and the fact that I detest a good workout!

12. Jim Paget

Jim Paget Active Member

To get back on topic, a buddy convinced me this summer to carry the rod butt forward rather than the intuitive tip forward. It snagged a lot less in heavy brush as it had my more than ample frame clearing the way.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  13. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Ain't that the truth.

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    My first Fly Rod was one made out of Fiber glass. With a Sat-Trout Pfleuger reel. With the Double taper Floating line. I remember the reel make but not the rod. I was about 24 at the time. The reel had no rim control. a Real knuckle buster.

Shit, that was a llllooooonnnnnggggg time ago. Over 50 years.

15. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

Knuckle busters are cool. Real men still use them. Or poor men, I can't remember.

16. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Greg, get a rod sock for a gear rod from Ted's. Should be about 4-5 ft and you can trim to size. It will protect everything but the reel and fits in a vest pocket when not needed.

10incher likes this.