Walla Walla River Steelhead?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Jim B, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Jim B

Jim B Flyfishin' and homebrewin'....priorities ?

Hey, does anybody have any info on flyfishing the Walla Walla, Touchet and/or Tucannon Rivers for steelhead in the fall and winter? I have a buddy who has moved to Walla Walla, and I'm going over there to visit him in a few weeks, thinking about bringing a flyrod with me. According to the WDFW hatchery info, they release alot of steelhead smolts in each of these rivers. Any info would be much appreciated.

2. Rod Wittner

Rod Wittner Active Member

Media:
    Nope. No steelhead in those waters. Don't waste your time. ;)
    Actually, there are a few fish to be found. But typically, I think the best fishing is Jan-Feb. There are a couple of public access areas on the WW. With a little research, you can find them easy enuf.

3. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Don't let the smolt release data fool you...lots of fish are released from these rivers but can be misleading if you are comparing to westside release numbers. Still, with the better than average adult returns for steelhead the past 10 years to the Columbia, fish can be found in these smaller rivers.

4. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Media:
    Hello andy, zen, are you there?

5. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

Zen, knows all the good holes on the Walla Walla. However, I live here and I am looking forward to fishing the Walla Walla.
    David, the Walla Walla area isn't near as good as good old Ellensburg for fly fishing opportunities. Miss and my fly fishing friends!

Keith

6. Manofsteelhead

Manofsteelhead New Member

There are alot of steelhead, not as many as there use to be but the best time to fish for them is not Jan. Feb you have probably never fished there, I have fished there since 1964 and know the area very well, the best fishing for steelhead use to be March -April until the season was shortened, best time now would be Nov- Dec and Feb-March

7. Eric B

Eric B Montana hillbilly

There is a decent WDFW access area w/ good parking near the road to the Whitman Mission. There is also a map posted at the parking area marking which areas are public/private.

I tried back in December, but didn't hook up w/ anything. Beautiful area & good looking water. I long to return.

8. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    I've been in contact with the field bios down there on several occasions over the past 10 years, both face to face and via email. As of two years ago, there's been some big changes down there. I think in the end it will be for the better, but the Took may face closure to fishing due to the changes. Good advice on the Touchet/Walla Walla above ^. Lots of fish to be had!

9. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    I am not a fan of the WW but I like my Spey rods. You can certainly drive up to Ringold if you want to do some swinging.

Wayne

10. Grant Richie

Grant Richie Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    March on the Walla Walla, reminds me of getting my adrenaline going every time a sucker would grab my fly trying to make me think its a steelhead. Silly fish, I had one make a good run and actually throw itself on the bank. One of my weirdest sucker fish experiences. There are steelhead too. I have even caught a few in October between McDonald Road and Whitman Mission.