Walt Disney puked on these fish

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Mingo, May 30, 2007.

1. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

This can't compete with Ibn's report if you want pics of giant trophies, so if you only want big fish shots, don't waste your time on this thread!!!! Some of these are in my gallery already........

I know most people walk into an Asian restaurant and immediately want to stuff as much Fried rice and assorted MSG-laden chow into their bass-like yappers as possible. I’ve always been the guy who stares at the crazy looking exotic fish in the aquarium at the front of every Thai/Chinese restaurant on the planet and wonders if they’ll hit a fly and how they’d fight.

Weird stuff from “Finding Nemo”, crazy critters from the Discovery Channel………I want to catch them all. I’ve always been that way……….as a kid I was addicted to fishing and fish tanks. My Oscars and Jack Dempseys used to get caught so often they all had calluses on their lips.

Recently I took my wife to Hawaii for her birthday and I had a chance to unwind and catch a bunch of crazy reef critters. Smallish fish hold no interest for some guys but I've always enjoyed catching any species if it looks cool. The battles were better than I'd have thought, a lot of fun on light flyrods.

I thought I’d post some shots of a few of these Technicolor terrors of the deep…………..most of them were small by Northwest standards but all were feisty and some were even kind of freaky. I didn’t go out on a charter this time around but there was plenty to keep me interested IF you are an aquarium/fishing freak like me. Don't waste your time if you only like shots of giant fish, but if you enjoy weird fish, here goes…………….

We spent time in Waikiki at our favorite hotel, the Royal Hawaiian. We have friends there so this is always like homecoming for us. This little Moano (many-barred goatfish) hit a clouser minnow right in front of the hotel between Bloody Marys and lunch……that’s how we keep track of time over there ;)……………

[​IMG]

and this cool critter............a papio........

[​IMG]

Some time using a 5 wt on a reef brought in a few more fish that looked like Walt Disney puked on them…..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then an hour on an Oahu flat with my buddy Tim targeting bonefish resulted in this funky critter…….not the bone I wanted, but a goatfish. They call them “weke” and they’re supposed to be great to eat. I released every fish I caught except this guy......an old man was fishing nearby with a castnet watching our every move. The poor old fart looked really hungry so I gave him the fish..........now my kharma has improved with the volcano gods so my next trip I'll catch a 50 pound mahi on my 10 wt ;)

[​IMG]

Check out the funky chin whiskers they use for finding food. This one absolutely destroyed my streamer, which surprised the living out of me…………………..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that it was over to the Big Island for even wilder action……………………..aggressive sergeant majors were all over the place…..

[​IMG]

and a bunch of other stuff............

Cool wrasses of various species……………..

[​IMG]

And this big guy, relatively speaking, that took off and tried to rock me on the lava……..he almost did it, the leader was a mess!

[​IMG]

Then I got stalked by a wicked, evil mongoose while I fished. These things are creepy, like a lizard with fur and beady eyes...Then off to a few more spots during our stay for other stuff

Weird flounder on pink bunny leeches

[​IMG]

Lagoon triggerfish………..

[​IMG]

Threadfin shad……….

[​IMG]

And a little ‘cuda that thought he was a pit bull.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And time to chill with some sea turtles……….I love these guys.

[​IMG]

Lots of great food and great people. Just a sampler………just a sample, after all this is a family website! :beer2:

Aloha bitches!

2. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Looks like you will win the yearly question to see who caught the most species. Looks like a good time.

3. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Very nice pics of beautiful fish. Did you fish the flats out near Hawaii Kai at all? Maunalani Bay, as I recall. I used to live on Portlock Rd there, and caught alot of papio and the occasional small 'cuda(none even as large as the one you got) casting small white feathered jigs on light spinning gear out in front of our house.

4. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

that's where we were! I think that was the name of the park........I'm kind of voweled out....:rofl:

5. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Man, If I'd only known then what I know now....

OK, Book him, Danno, on a felony TMF (too much fun):rofl:

6. CovingtonFly

CovingtonFly B.O.H.I.C.A. bend over here it comes again

it's nice to finally put a face with the boobs!:rofl: :beer2:

7. David Holmes

David Holmes Formerly known as "capmblade"

Mingo is my hero.

8. Stan Wright

Stan Wright Member

Aloha,
    Stan

9. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Awesome report Mingo! That's a ton of different species!

Bill :beer2:

10. LoonhauntDave

LoonhauntDave New Member

What Fish?

11. fullerfly

fullerfly Calvin Fuller

You are one funny Mother Fu*ker. Can't help but laugh everytime I see your pics.