Walther P22....?

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Josh, Feb 6, 2010.

1. wet line New Member

Burien, WA, King.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Ruger makes thier Single Six revolver that comes with an interchangeable cylinder for 22 mags. It also has adjustable sights.

It may be one of the safest style handguns made. Single action revolvers require the hammer to be pulled pack to fire. It is pretty difficult to get an accidental discharge and when learning that is very important. Semi autos require discipline and good handling techniques. It is way too easy to accidentally touch off a round in semi autos. It only takes one accidental discharge to really ruin someones day and maybe life. A 22 is very lethal up close and personal.

Dave
  2. LMFOA New Member

travelling the world
    Josh -

Unless you've had combat control training or other such tactical exposure - and even if you did - you might want to check out Insights Training (Google them). They have a one day, basic pistol course, and most of the people who take it are not typical gun people, but rather people who never thought they'd be in a pistol course. Your wife would find that a very supportive environment. The night before rent The Brave One with Jody Foster - just to set the mode. ;-))

It is always bad news to teach a spouse something like shooting, skiing, paddling, etc. Leave it to the professionals.
  3. hikepat Patrick

Des Moines, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    If you plan to buy to also have wife and or kids learn on one thing to really think about is the size of the handle. If you have large or even average size hands for a man what you find comfortable to hold might not work for your wife and or kids. A gun that does not fit right can really turn some one off to the sport.
    My Mom was lucky when my Father got her into shooting that Dad after seeing many of his freinds try to get their wifes into the shooting arts and the wives quite after a few times trying saw that a big reason they did not stick with was they were given guns that did not fit them well. In fact many husbands gave their wives guns that were their own cast offs that they themsleves did not like to shot. My dad was smart and before she even shot a single round bought her a rifle fit for her small arms and did the same with the shooty and went with a 32 cal revolver rather then the more common 357 mag that most shot in their events. Mom now does well in all 3 stages in the event shoting and has the ribbons and trophies to prove it.
    Never shot a P22 before so I have no idea of their handle size.
  4. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +495 / 2
    A valid point.

FWIW though, when I think of learning (or teaching) something, there are two phases.

1. Learning to do something safely
    THEN
    2. Learning to do something well

But of course there is a lot of crossover between the two. Learning bad habits is never safe or useful for doing things well.
  5. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    That's one advantage of the P22, it's really a compact gun. I can't imagine a small woman (or even a large kid) being unhappy holding it. In fact, I would imagine that people with large hands would dislike it a bit. However, I'm not a 'meatpaw' type fellow. So no worries for me.
  6. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Not a bad idea at all.
  7. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    FWIW, after trying a Buckmark out at the range, I couldn't deny just how nice of a gun it is. So it jumped to the top of the list and I picked one up the other week. I'm sure I'll end up with a P22 at some point, just because of how fun it is. But the Buckmark is just flat out a nice gun. Roper was correct.

Although it is worth noting that the Buckmark Camper no longer comes with three magazines. They only give you one now.
  8. Guy Gregory Active Member

Spokane, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    Wow, interesting thread. I've never split hairs on .22 pistols before, I've shot most of these, and though variable in terms of intrinsic safety, they're all pretty nice can shooters.

Though Josh, if the Ruger looks too much like a Luger to you, you should see my Stoeger .22 Luger. It looks and shoots a lot like a Luger. And it doesn't look much like the Ruger. It's much more blocky.

Cheers.
  9. Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Sammamish, WA
    I have a P22. I have only shot it once but it ran perfect. My understanding is to stay away from the the older ones. It took them some time to get the bugs out. I got mine "free" with a larger purchase at Wades in Bellevue. Ill keep it for my boys when they get a little older.
  10. yellowlab Active Member

In a van... down by the river, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 8
    Man, would love to see you gun locker sometime if Wades gave this gun to you for 'free' Must've spent a small fortune over there....
  11. Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Sammamish, WA
    Paul, next time you go "plinking" let me know. I pitty the fool that tries to break into my house ;-)
  12. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +126 / 0
    Josh, lots of good opinions here.
    Find a 22 pistol that feels good in your hand, it should also feel good to the wife.
    Being comfortable with a hand gun is just as important.
    I own a Ruger Mark II, also a Bear cat. I can't hit the inside of a phone booth standing inside with the Bear cat. But I can take the eye out of a grouse with the Mark II.
    All about comfort.
  13. Eric-WD Member

Westport WA
    OK my 2% or a dollar. I also am a long time shooter and ex instructor. I have to agree with going with a revolver. Ruger and Taurus both make excellent not too expensive revolvers. to me revolvers are easier to use.
    perfect for plinking or if need be taking out a rabbit for dinner. Having read some recent reviews of the Taurus 94 I would stay away from the 94 and buy the Ruger. apperiantly the taurus is hit or miss on quality.

Eric
  14. longstick Member

North West
    I bought a P22 for my wife to get her into guns and have her learn a little about semi pistols in a combat style before I spent the money on a pistol she could use for protection. I know she will either buy a small framed revolver or a sub compact auto when that time comes. When we picked it up we had holo sights front and rear added and after her second time at the range, she was allowed to shot a guys with a small laser and she went out to buy one the next day. We only shoot minimags or velocitors from cci and never worry about jams. If I had to do it again I would go the same route, she loved the semi auto due to being a girl and loving the feel of the power, she also like to learn how to break them down. Since then she has shoot glocks, xd, sw revolvers and is always excited and very careful with the handling of guns. The P22 turned my wife into a gun girl!
  15. FlyNewbie Man this is expensive!

Bothell, WA
    Why I don't tend to weigh in on many opinions with regards to fly fishing (still a newbie) I do indeed know quite a bit about this topic. First and foremost I own and have shot thousands of rounds through my P22, it's a great little gun. I just use cheap federal walmart ammo and clean my walther after each session. I have never had issues, the only FTF's I have had, were caused by the 22 ammo it's self. As you might or might not know 22 (rimfire) is just not as reliable as most centerfire rounds.

As far as some of the other recommendations, if I were to just buy a pure shooting .22 it would be a browning buckmark or a Ruger M2 or M3. Both are great and pretty accurate. As far as the Sig Mosquito, they have a ton of jamming issues if you do not use high velocity ammo like CCI. I love Sig's and have owned both pistols, get the P22.

Now you may ask why not go with the other options or recommendations as I have posted above. Well there are two primary reasons. The first one being that a P22 is more fun to shoot that buckmarks and the Rugers. I like shooting combat style pistols! The second reason is that a P22 or Sig is more like a real pistol in which I would defend my life or families life with. I use a P22 as a training tool as well as fun. The controls of a buckmark are nowhere near modern day combat pistol designs. For example, if you shoot a P22 then you can pick up an HK with ease.
  16. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Despite the fact that I was the one who started this thread wanting a P22, I'm going to chime in here and reply to FlyNewbie.

I'm not going to argue that the P22 isn't fun, I think it is very much so. But the Buckmark is equally as fun (though in a different way) and I would expect that the Rugers are as well given how many fans they have. Don't get me wrong, the P22 is fun. But claiming that it's MORE fun than the others is such a subjective opinion-based statement as to be useless for someone trying to decide which gun to buy.

The Buckmark's controls and grip angle are the same as the 1911's, a gun that has more fans around the world than just about any other. In fact, one could argue that the Buckmark replicates the 1911's controls better than the P22 replicates the HK's (mostly due to the HK's frequent inclusion of a decocker and lower placement of the decocker/safety). But that is likely bordering on another "opinion" type statement that isn't very useful. Suffice to say that the P22 isn't the only .22 that replicates the controls of a larger caliber "cousin".

And to be honest, neither gun perfectly replicates the controls of a Glock, probably the most common/popular self defense handgun out there today. This is mostly due to the fact that nobody makes a safety-free striker fired .22, but still, you get the idea. If someone really wants to have a .22 that replicates a defense gun, they should probably look into a 1911 frame gun with a Kimber .22 conversion for practice. Or at one of the Sig Saur P220/P226/P229 guns with the Sig .22 conversion. Then the controls will be EXACTLY the same between .22 practice and self defense use. Of course the recoil will be significantly different, but there's no way around that.
  17. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +861 / 0
    Josh, we have two P-22's. As you already know, they're fun to shoot, and ammo doesn't cost an arm, leg, and three front teeth. They're nice little guns, with a positive bar safety. You won't have a tack driver, though. The front sight came off one day when the pistol was withdrawn from the holster, which didn't impress me. We used High Standard silenced .22s in my unit, as well as the 1911 also silenced. There's been several guys who mentioned a .22 is a serious round, and it is! The way one grizzled ol` Sar-major explained over a beer one evening was "a double-tap with a .22 gives you a total of 11mm of hole. When you get to 20mm, it's considered a cannon shot." Made sense to me! I also don't usually carry it for personal pro: I'll go with the Sig P-226 Navy in .40S&W for that one. The Sig IS a tack driver.