Wanna try a new Switch Rod?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by miyawaki, Mar 30, 2009.

1. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

I have three prototype Orvis Helios Switch rods in the store - the 116-4; 117-4; and 118-4. I'll check them out to any of you who want to be in on the cutting edge (the 6wt is suppossed to be two ounces lighter than the Sage Z-Axis.

I'll be on the beach tomorrow with the 6wt. Someone should take the 8wt to the Sauk or Skagit.

Leland.
    (425) 452-9138

2. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Hello Leland,
    I'll be interested to hear your opinions on the 6wt. I'm in the market for a lighter switch for rezzies and SRC.

Thanks
    Eric

3. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

I've loaded it with a 330 gr. Airflo Compact Scandi which is virtually effortless to speycast. You can put out a goodly amount of line with one-handed speycasts as well as two-hand overheads.

We have all the Airflo Compact Scandis and Skagits test lines.

Leland.

4. Bert Kinghorn

Bert Kinghorn Formerly "nextcast"

Media:
    Leland may be guilty of underhyping these rods a bit. He kindly allowed me (and others) to cast the 6 and 8 wts at a couple of the Mike Kinney/AATF Sunday Clinics during the last month. I have the sense that they have seen more field testing than some other recent Orvis sticks. These are very smooth loading rods!

5. sashjo

sashjo Member

I never wished that my ZA switch was lighter.

6. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

Media:
    Agreed! I wish they were if anything a little heavier,.....always feels like a little toy that I could break at will......and have. :( Oh well a fish feels better on a lighter rod i guess

7. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    How would they compare to something like a Beulah or Meiser?

8. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

I can't say as it would be inappropriate for me. But if you accept the proposition that switch rods, by definition, should be light and easy to use, the new Helios is the ticket.

That being said, I tried a new southsound beach for searun cutts this morning. The beach sucked but it had a high tide that backed me up against some trees and a stiff wind coming into my right earhole. I was casting an Airflo Compact Scandi that measures 28 feet long and was throwing over 60' with a switch cast, throw in a spiral roll and it went further, lay out a two-handed overhead cast (if you have backcast room) and you'll reach any coho you can see.

If you want to check out the rod and I'll leave the 10 foot polyleader and my popper on it for you.

Leland.

9. speyforsteel

speyforsteel Degenerate Caster

Hey Leland-What proto did you have at the Tye lake meeting-that thing could throw some bullet loops.

10. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

It was this very same Helios 6wt and line.

Leland.

11. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    Is the MSRP >$1,000 for a Helios yet?

12. sashjo

sashjo Member

Exactly, it is not about casting but about trying to fight and land a big fish. Twice last year a fish snapped my ZA switch in two. A lighter rod! Simply not on my wish list.

13. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Fish don't break rods. Loose ferrules, "J" bends while playing fish, and micro nicks from weighted flies are the most common reasons for rod breakage. Having two fish break two of your Z Axis' could not be because the rods were too light.

Leland.

14. trevally

trevally New Member

Home Page:
    I also have the prototype 11' 5 and 11' 6 and they are outstanding. Light, crisp, and extremely powerful. They are truly in a class by themselves.

Hey Leland, dont forget trying to get flies out of the tree and ceiling fans :)

15. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

The 8 and 6 are checked out for a couple days.

Leland.

16. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    Borrowed the 8wt switch rod and an Airflo Compact Scandi line (330gr) from Leland on Sunday it was a sweet combo to cast! I used a fast sinking steelhead polyleader (10ft) with 3 or 4 feet of Maxima and was able to easily make some great spey casts (single, double, snap T). Definitely a good line for this rod.

I stopped by the shop this morning and returned the 8wt and reel and also played with a couple of the new Helios Ion rods (6' 2wt and 7'9" 5wt). Both were ultra light, the 2wt was so light it took a few cast to get used to, but were awesome! They had cork reel seats and I was able to make some very nice casts, even into the wind, with the 2wt. This rod would be great of the Forks of the Snoqualmie or other small stream.

The 5wt was a suprise to me, I've never really cast that short of a 5wt. I have an 8'6" 5wt that was my first graphite fly rod, but could see the Helios Ion as a great small creek rod.

Thanks Leland for the offer! I hope others take you up on you offer to play with the new toys!

Bill :beer2: