Want something totally unique?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by fredaevans, Nov 23, 2007.

1. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!

Arggggg; things made 'cheap as chips.':mad: It's going back. Stick with the Kelly Kettle!!!!!!
  2. synister370 New Member

pittsburgh pa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    im gonna have to agree 3 lbs is a lot to pack during my hikes to high mtn lakes of ID no way that would make it in my pack my peak burner is only few ounces and the fuel isnt even 1 lb.

sorry when im packing in every lil big of weight saved is worth it.

its neat but i wouldend suggest it if you are backpacking
  3. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +654 / 0
    SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!

can you expand on this a little for us please???
  4. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!

The main body of the unit is fairly light copper sheeting that's 'brazed' up the side/around the top/bottom to seal the unit. (Not a very well done job I might add.) The handles are very small and you'd be hard pressed to actually pick up the unit (full of boiling water) without burning yourself.

The burner unit is stamped/riveted light weight alum. and will bend very easily. Ditto the stove top section.

The Kelly Kettle is very well constructed out of heavy Alum. through out.
  5. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +319 / 2
    Glad to read this thread. I've been interested in getting a Kelly Kettle in the past and was about to pull the trigger on the copper kettle until I finished your post.
    While looking into the KK, I also found this link:
    http://www.eydonkettle.co.uk/

Their large one looks very similar to the KK but they have the "Popular" model that might be a good size to consider. Have no idea about quality though and the KK as certainly been around for a while.

I wouldn't consider this for hiking. Nor would I consider my other "high tech" cooking gear, dutch ovens. My favorite "go anywhere" is a 10" that stays in my "go box" but I also have a 12", 14" and 16" for group outings. Roast pig, beans and corn bread?