WTB Want to buy first steelhead set-up

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by rawfish, Jan 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am not a west-coast fisherman but I learn a lot lurking on this board.
    This winter I went on my first steelhead trip (after many years fishing for trout/bass) on the lake Erie tribs of the Ohio/Pennsylvania border and had an epic two days.
    Naturally, I want to gear up with an appropriate set up as I am only a five hour drive from the Salmon River and some other Great lake tribs (and want to hit up some Erie spring steealhead soon enough).
    Any advice/available rod/reel/lines gathering dust.
    I don't spey cast although I am open to eventually learning. Some have advised a switch rod, but I am just not sure if i need that for the great lake tribs.
    Thanks all

2. I have a new Ross Essence FW 990-4 fly rod for sale. This is a 9' 9 weight 4 piece rod. Comes with sleeve and factory metal
    tube. $126 includes USPS priority shipping with paypal. I will include a like new Rio Mainstream 9WF fly line.

3. why not try Leland flyfishing or Red truck both are the same web has combos for 50% off

4. Do you remember what gear you used on the trip? It might be a good place to start.

5. Contact a local fly shop in your area and talk to them about what you are wanting to do! They will get you lined up and you may walk away with some additional info that will help you on the water!

Porter and David Dalan like this.
  6. I do remember the gear I had on my trip, it was a 10 foot Sage rod, way too expensive for my taste. I was actually thinking about the discontinued Beuhlah switch which is on a nice sale in some local shops...

7. There's currently a 10' 7wt Winston Ibis and and orvis reel for sale in the classifieds. Perfect rod and reel combo for steelhead at a great price. ($250) for the combo but, I think the seller mentioned that he would sell separately.

8. I was actually going to buy that one before I decided to post here as I can't decide whether I should go for a switch rod in case I decide to try my hand at two handed casting etc

9. Just my opinion!

I mainly swing for steelhead and only use a indicator about 3% of the time, if that.

Before you start looking for a good deal on a rod/reel, I would ask yourself a few questions so you can decide what type of rod you will need.

1. Will you be fishing from a boat or wading?
    2. Are you fishing big rivers or small rivers?
    3. If you are wading are these river banks full of Blackberry or other type bushes, trees, etc...
    4. Will you mainly be Swinging or Indicator fishing?
    5. What is the average size fish you will be fishing for?

As you know, your choices are either single hand, switch or spey rod.

I have fished my way through all of them, in that order and want to tell you what I think about each.

Single Hand Rods: I find that these are easy from a boat, lighter, great for indicator fishing and best of all fighting fish is more intense.

Switch Rods: These are supposed to be the best of both worlds. If you are going to get one thinking you will use it like a single hand rod most of the time and a two hander some of the time, DON'T get one. They are not fun as single handers. However, they are great for many applications and you can also get a bit more distance with them. Best of all, you do not have to worry as much about snapping flies off in the bushes behind you. Indicator fishing is decent with the right line, but I found I usually had a Skagit line w/ shooting heads and spent all of my time swinging.

Spey Rod: Excellent for short, medium and long casts. Cover lots of water, great for swinging and not so great for indicator fishing. The Spey rods keep your fly in the water longer and you worry less than ever about anything behind you. The only downside to the Spey rod in my opinion is, fighting fish isn't as fun as it is with a shorter rod and regular fly lines. Don't get me wrong, the fight is still fun as hell but there is a difference. It can also be difficult to land fish by yourself, but you get the hang of it. When wading for Steelhead, this is the way to go! As you know, you have to work a bit longer trying to catch Steelhead and you will be casting many times over. When you are between fish casting your brains out, you will have a ton of fun mastering your spey cast. It is a sport within a sport........

Their are many rods and reels out there. Some great deals can be found on high end gear as well. The key to finding a great rod and real is be totally prepared on what type of gear you want and jump on every deal as soon as you see it posted. Early bird gets the worm and you can always sell it if you don't like it. Good luck....!

I am not a pro, but I love fishing for steelhead and spend much of my time either on the water swinging or dreaming that I am on the water swinging. So, if you wanted to give a call and bounce some questions off of someone, feel free to PM me.

Ed Call and tonemike like this.
  10. ^Big wisdom right up there^

itsbenlong likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.