WANTED: All around 5wt

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Mulligan, Mar 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mulligan

Mulligan Stephen Mull

Media:
    I am a one rod man at this point because i have school to pay for. I need a good 5wt for pretty much all my fishing. I know there are people cringing at this, but money ain't free. Let me know what you have.

sgmull@u.washington.edu

2. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    What's you price range? I have a 4 piece Rainshadow blank in 5 weight that I can build for you. Let's see if we can keep it in your budget.

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

3. Nick Andrews

Nick Andrews New Member

Media:
    I have a 2 piece Orvis Silver Label 5wt full flex that I would not mind to parting with. Let me know what your price range is and then go from there. -Nick

E-Mail me offline

nickandrews56@hotmail.com

4. Mulligan

Mulligan Stephen Mull

Media:
    Roper,
    I checked out the Rainshadow blanks. It looks like it would be a real fast action rod. I am looking for a something a little slower, softer. Thanks for the offer though

5. Mulligan

Mulligan Stephen Mull

Media:
  6. Phillip Muwayderz

Phillip Muwayderz New Member

I have a Sage 9', 5 wt VPS-Lt (3 piece) that I built from Patrick's Fly shop seconds stock.
    I also have a Sage 9', 6 wt RPL-U (2 piece) that I built from Patrick's seconds stock. The 'U' is for 'unfinished', meaning it was not sanded and painted brown.
    Anthony

7. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    I bet what Roper is offering is an IM7 Rainshadow blank, and it is not a fast, but medium to medium fast blank. I have the IM7 4wt and it is a great all around rod.

Roper's offer is solid, he knows his rods! Rainshadow is a far better bang for the buck than any other rod out there.

Rob

8. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    The blank is a green IM6, about a 43 million modulus (Damn, that's sounds impressive, don't it?) and is a nice mid-flex blank. It still has plenty of power to send some line out, yet works well to protect light tippets.

Roper,

9. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Sorry, but I'll have to disagree.

The Rainshadow blanks are a good value, but not nearly the rod you indicate. They are a discount blank offered to meet a certain price point.

And, that value goes away dramatically as soon as one is broken. If the person who started this thread is low on dinero and is a student, when the rod breaks (not "if", but "when", which will happen if they fish much) they don't want to deal with the hassles of building up a new rod or have the money for someone to do it for them.

Unless you build your own rods, and are saving money that way, IMHO any perceived savings of having a custom rod built goes away on that first rod breakage. Been there, done that.

10. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    >Sorry, but I'll have to disagree.

Me too...only with your statement.

>The Rainshadow blanks are a good value, but not nearly
    >the rod you indicate. They are a discount blank
    >offered to meet a certain price point.

Is that your professional opinion?

>And, that value goes away dramatically as soon as one
    >is broken. If the person who started this thread is
    >low on dinero and is a student, when the rod breaks
    >(not "if", but "when", which will happen if they fish
    >much) they don't want to deal with the hassles of
    >building up a new rod or have the money for someone to
    >do it for them.

I'm not sure how, or what you fish, but I've never broken a rod in my life.

>Unless you build your own rods, and are saving money
    >that way, IMHO any perceived savings of having a custom
    >rod built goes away on that first rod breakage. Been
    >there, done that.

With a Rainshadow blank or some other brand? And none of this sounded very humble, IMHO...

P.S. http://www.rodbuilding.org/read.php?f=2&i=86631&t=86631

Roper,

11. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    "I'm not sure how, or what you fish, but I've never broken a rod in my life."

Many people haven't been in car accidents, too, but the more they drive, the more they increase the likelihood it will occur. Just because one hasn't been in a car accident doesn't mean they shouldn't have insurance. The more one fishes, the more likely it will occur, whether it be by car door, sticking a rod tip in the mud, a buddy stepping on it, high sticking, hooking in to a chinook when fishing for searuns, etc.

"Is that your professional opinion?"

Nope, not a professional opinion, because I'm not a fly fishing professional. However, my first premium rod, a Loomis IMX, was built under the perception that I would save some money. Again, perception. As I noted, my first custom rod was a Loomis IMX, my second was a 490-4 RPL, etc., and I have an LL blank and a Rainshadow blank waiting to be built.

I own factory Sage (XP, SP, RPLxi, RPL, DS2), Orvis, Loomis, Lamiglas, TFO, Powell, St. Croix, Daiwa, Eagle Claw, custom Rainshadow, etc., so these comments are coming from a serious gear head. I learned after the first custom rod that a person doesn't build them to save money (at least initially they do), but a perception of saving money and the satisfaction of building one's on rod.

Dude, the Rainshadows are a good value, and that's my opinion based on experience with $10 rods to $700 rods, including Rainshadow. If this guy is low on dinero, he can get in to a new TFO for $90, with an unconditional lifetime warranty, that casts at least as well as a Rainshadow. Cabela's is offering their Stowaway, a sweet casting rod, in the same price range.

Depending on which Rainshadow blank considered and how/where it is purchased, add up the cost of the reel seat, guides, cork, winding check, hook holder, thread, epoxy, finish, rod turner, etc., and he could quickly be in to a Rainshadow for close to the cost of other factory sticks.

12. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    "Dude, the Rainshadows are a good value, and that's my opinion based on experience with $10 rods to $700 rods, including Rainshadow. If this guy is low on dinero, he can get in to a new TFO for $90, with an unconditional lifetime warranty, that casts at least as well as a Rainshadow. Cabela's is offering their Stowaway, a sweet casting rod, in the same price range."

Um, I hate to tell you, but all the major rod manufacturers are starting to take away unlimited warantees due to the complaints of fishing shops, rod builders, and their accountants. Apparently the industry has lost a lot of money catering to those that can't seem to keep a rod in good shape.

So kiss that $90 TFO, and the $700 Winston with the unlimited warantee good bye.

Rainshadow rods rock. Oh, and Rainshadow rods are waranteed for defects in manufacturing, as they should be, and no more.

13. Flip

Flip The dumb kid

Media:
    yaknow richard, know matter how much you think it will happen, it is extremly hard to break a rod if your CAREFUL. i have broken one rod because i rolled my ankle on a rock and fell. was not being careful. if you treat your rod well they will provide you a lifetime of great service. best way to do that is go spend 5 bucks on a felt rod bag. ok, call me a retard, ill just not waste 700$ on a rod when i can get the same performance and warranties, feel, action, everything.. for under a 100. call me ignorant, ill just take the 600 bucks i just saved and use it to buy a enormous stick to shove up your rich a$$. most of us dont have money floating around, and the rainshadow rods excel for us. for whoever started this thread, i reccomend going into gregs and building one. cost you out 100-120, full warrinties, great selection, and if you ever break it, he will help you rebuild it for free, or get you a new blank and help build.

tom}(

14. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    " . . . starting to take away unlimited warantees . . ."

I've heard that rumor, too; maybe there might be some teeth to that rumor. I'm not surprised, and it should and probably will happen. However, until it happens (and those manufacturers you mentioned still offer the warranties discussed), it's rumor.

It appears that we do agree the unconditional warranties don't make good business sense.

We'll disagree on if Rainshadows "rock". Very good rod for the money (good value), so they rock in their price range.

We're a little off topic here, though. The person who started this thread should know the Rainshadow is a good rod, but that there are other viable options out there that, depending on perspective, are as good or better at a similar price point. Ford or Chevy? Toyota or Honda? Nice to have choices, and we're lucky to have 'em. There is a lot of good product out there now for the money!

:thumb

15. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    But, the point is you did break your rod. Careful, not careful, whatever, you broke it. We have slippery rivers around here, and it's easy to fall, especially when the rocks are covered with rotting salmonid goo. Or, tripping over a rock. A lot of things can happen.

Do we have to have a $600 rod to have an unconditional or a liberal warranty? No, in my discussion earlier I noted that, in my opinion, I prefer a factory rod over a custom rod (like a Rainshadow) because I think, in the long run, you don't save any money with the custom rod. Many people think you do, but a person often doesn't. You just noted that the persons would spend 10-120 to build up the Rainshadow. The TFO is $90, factory built and ready to fish right out of the package. It's very convenient if a rod is broken to send it in to the factory and get a rod returned ready to fish. The young guy who started this thread is low on coin, and is school and may not have a lot of time and be willing tie up a rod blank, hence my recommendation on the TFO.

The TFO rod I referenced in an earlier thread is a $90 rod, and performs great. Break it, send it in, and a rod comes back ready to fish. Break a Rainshadow, and the pieces come back ready to wrap. Tight Loops said something about the rod manufacturers taking away the unconditional warranties. That's fine, because if I break the rod, I should pay to repair to fix it. But, that's what happens with the Rainshadow rods. For me, it's about convenience. But, for some folks, like you, it's not, and you like to build rods. It's not about right or wrong, but just something different.

Again, I'm not bashing Rainshadow rods; I have a Rainshadow blank at home ready to wrap (it's been sitting there for 2 years, because I opt to fish or tie flies rather than wait for the epoxy on my rod to dry). I received it as a gift; it's a nice blank.

16. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    Quote "So kiss that $90 TFO, and the $700 Winston with the unlimited warantee good bye."

That is simply not true Tight Loops. TFO's come with a $25 lifetime replacement warranty. Do you have specific information saying that this warranty is invalid?

17. Flip

Flip The dumb kid

Media:
    what are the specs on the blank? if it has been sitting for 2 years odds are your not going to build it, and i could probably use it

tom.. who the hell else would it be

18. Mulligan

Mulligan Stephen Mull

Media:
    Well, this is all very interesting. I am a college student who is a little strapped for cash. Not THAT strapped though. I see Richard's points as well as Roper's and Tight Loop's. Both groups presented very well thought out arguements. Neither is right, nor wrong. The purchaser (in this particular thread, myself) is the one who in the end decides who is right. Often, a custom rod is not purchased purely to save money but to have control over what the rod will feel and look like. I myself have never broken a rod, nor can I fathom breaking one in the act of fishing. I can see myself breaking a rod in a car door or stumbling over it at a camp site, but sometimes you have to pay for being an idiot. I don't know whether I am going to buy a rod built by Roper or whether I am going to buy a stock rod on closeout or used. But, either way I will be at peace knowing that I will have a great fishing experience and I think we can all agree on that being what it's all about. I don't think there is any need to bash rod building as it is a hobby that extends fishing and often produces rods that surpass performance of stock rods. We also don't need to bash stock rods as not everyone knows how or knows someone who can build rods, or even wants to think about a custom rod.

19. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Attaboy.

20. 10ft7wt

10ft7wt New Member

I've got a brand new still in plastic Orvis Silver Label 9'5wt. $130 its yours. Also have a Ross Colorado with a brand new Orvis HY-Flote on it if your interested we could work something out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.