Wanted - Pontoon Boat for Steelhead Rivers

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Wollybooger, Oct 1, 2011.

1. LCnSac John or "LC"

Sacramento, CA
    Ratings: +136 / 1
    When did you guys get the Assault XX? Haven't seen your comments on that before. Was that your "Challenger" the other half was craving? That looks really cool and big.

I used your deep nymphing technique last weekend with some furled leader and slip indicators. Didn't make the miserable planters any bigger but worked;-)
  2. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    Awesome!!!! The Assault is new, but getting broke in. Other half wanted the Challenger and I imagine still does, but the XX is definitely caught his interest. He is even talking about selling the X5 now...LOL
    We were recently out on a lake with major wind picking up and waves coming over back...that thing moved even with wind at back.
  3. LCnSac John or "LC"

Sacramento, CA
    Ratings: +136 / 1
    I can't believe you still have the X5. That is dated technology, long in the tooth, and probably an embarrassment on the lake. I think you should sell it immediately.*

*to me;-)
  4. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    I know! I can't get rid of mine though, NFO doesn't make YELLOW anymore. And a little info, the X5 is way different material and valves, from the frameless models.
  5. riverrunr77 Banned or Parked

coast,oregon
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    View attachment 44617
    You can't get yellow any more because Incept doesn't make them and heat weld them anymore, He has started using Maxxon from China and now they are all glued. Hence the reason maxxon is now selling grey and red pontoons. if you look at the nose cones they are identical construction and the same valves plus he buys all his oars there. In another 2-3 years all of those boats will be "coming un-glued at the seams" no -pun intended
  6. riverrunr77 Banned or Parked

coast,oregon

It is definately nice, thats a funny story that seems to happen down there! The fish jump all aorund you down that way. I can't tell you how many I have seen jump right in a drift boat! I am running a westfork model from canyon whitewater inflatables right now. Its what all my friends had and made for the big water fishing. Good handling and nice fairly dry ride even in class 3-4, plus I can carry 2-300 pounds of gear no prob for 3-4 days on the river. I had the optional guide package with the drybox under the seat and composite oars and foot release anchor system. The box is great, un-latch when you get to camp and you have your seat and all your items on the bank.
  7. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    I can't get yellow because people complained it shows dirt and marks. The demand was not there. If you look up Inflatable pontoons, specially for rivers, you will see almost all of them have that plastic nose cone from different companies. My X5 has it.
    My Escape is now four years old and no worries (Know the owner) my Renegade is on it's second so guess I have to wait.
    I know Dave works with Incept on many different things and they swap ideas...but where does China come in? How do you know all this?
    Just asking, cause I live real close to the NFO shop and I have seen them made.
  8. riverrunr77 Banned or Parked

coast,oregon
    I will PM as this really has no place here.
  9. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,626 / 0
    Woollybooger,

Getting back on topic, I favor frameless in a one-man boat for lightweight and ease of portability. I have a Watermaster Kodiak, but wouldn't shy away from the Scadden models either. If there's a downside it's because I have yet to devise a perfect Spey rod holder for the WM. I prefer to travel light, and a couple WMs stow away in a float plane way easier than any framed pontoon boat.

Sg
  10. mojo Member

Yewtah
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I'm getting the waders on now. The $hit's getting deep.