WTB wanted trout travel setup; sage 590-4, 586-4 SLT,XP or similar

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by WetCoastRider, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WetCoastRider

WetCoastRider New Member

Looking for a rod for my travel setup. new to fly fishing and was recommended the SLT or XP as great older rods, but willing to explore other options. looking for something in the $200.00 range. complete setups would be an added bonus.

2. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Where are you located?

3. Porter

Porter Active Member

Check ebay for price gauging. Doubtful you'll find an xp or slt with complete set-up for 200. Might find a two-piece xp or slt for 200.00.

4. dpenrod

dpenrod Member

Might try to find a redington ct. Kind of a poor mans slt. You could find a set up with the ct for about $200.

5. WetCoastRider

WetCoastRider New Member

Sorry, I guess that was unclear. I wasn't expecting a whole set up for 200, just the rod. Willing to pay more, just hoping to get my hands on something better than a redington. An older rod that is used is alright for me.
    I am located in bc Canada, but have a shipping address in Washington state.

6. Porter

Porter Active Member

No problem. I would also try some of the local fly shops around WA/OR. Several run trade in programs. People sale their older rods as store credit or whatever and upgrade to a newer rod. The stores resells them in store or puts them on ebay, you might catch one that way. You might also ask if you can leave name and number and what your looking for and they might buzz you when one rolls in to them. Send you a PM for a couple other ideas.

7. Billfish44

Billfish44 New Member

If you're still in the market for an outfit, I have a 5 wt. 2 piece SP and a Ross Gunnison G-3 with a Cortland Dynatip WF Floating line that you can have for $200 plus shipping.

Bill

8. WetCoastRider

WetCoastRider New Member

Thanks for the offer Bill, but I was looking for a 4 pcs.
    And in fact I have found one. Ended up with a Sage RPL. 690-4 . Its an older rod but I think it is going to work for me. I have yet to cast it but look forward to trying it. It took a few weeks of scouring ebay to find something in my price range.

9. Brian H.

Brian H. New Member

Bill,
    Check your messages.

Brian

10. Porter

Porter Active Member

Nothing wrong with that rod, I would say that it is still a top rod to many. You might want to ask here on the forum which lines others have used and that worked well for that rod. The beauty of what you did is you bought a valued used rod for a good price (assumed), if you take care of it and ever want to sell it you will find that you will regain most or maybe even more than your initial investment, cant do that with a new rod! ;) Now what reel you putting on that sucker? :D

11. WetCoastRider

WetCoastRider New Member

I was looking for an old pflueger medalist with a extra spool or two but they kept getting ramped up in price on eBay. I ended up with a new greys gx500. Looks quite nice, sounds great and comes with 3 spool cartridges for around $60 shipped. I know it isn't top notch but I am pretty sure it will suit my purposes. I will look into the forums for line suggestions and welcome any insight. Btw, the rod was a steal at $125.

12. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Great price on a RPL. I really like the old school brown Sage sticks and own a RPL 490, 590 and 690 in 4 pc
    You can fish the rated line or overline them by one line wt if you want to make short, quick accurate casts.

13. Porter

Porter Active Member

Very good price....;) Usually around 200.00-225.00

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.