Wanted: Vise and portable bench

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Oneweight, Oct 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oneweight

Oneweight Member

Media:
    Going to try my hand at tying over the Winter months for the first time and am looking to buy a vise and portable bench. (have new baby that eats all things and don't want to add hooks and head cement to her diet!)

Considering buying the Danvise at $80 but thought I would see if anyone has a 2nd vise or thinking of upgrading.

Also, any recommendations or sale of a small bench to hold vise, materials, etc that folds up or can be stowed once you're done tying would be greatly appreciated or purchased.

TL -

Oneweight

"It's wonderful to be back in the great state of Chicago."
    Dan Quayle - 1995 :+

2. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    The Danvise is good. If you can spend the extra $60, the Renzetti traveler, or saltwater traveler is very good. Lots of people start trying to tie flies, few actually tie flies. there are lots of bargains out in used-land that haven't been used. Look for your dream vise on Ebay, you may be surprised!

3. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Media:
    schmokin'reel!!!!!

go check out the good will for your table. cant spend more than 20 bucks in there :thumb always a deal.. bhudda

4. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    I use plastic shoe boxes to store most of my materials. With a small box, a pedastal vise, and any table, one can be tying in minutes. Don't sweat the bench until you have too many materials to move around easily.

And for a bench, I am currently using a little 24x48 folding table, I consider that a bit small, and will be upgrading to a 36x60 table in the near future.

Rob

5. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    I will 2nd the use of the plastic shoe boxes and they are very inexpensive to. About $2 each at Fred Myer. I use one for fur, one for feathers and one for Yarn and flash.
    For tying, I use a portable table that is basicaly a slab a wood. For clamping the vise down it has a upside down L about 3 inches wide glued to it. It also has two rows of wood with lots of holes drilled in in their top for storage across the back for whip finishers etc when not in use. Easy to make and you can design to your own taste. At some point I may add on something to hold the spare thread. Nice thing about is I can tie at the kitchen table, bedroom or living room by just grabing the bench and sitting it down on any table or desk. I store it all in the closet when not in use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.