NFR Wanting info on Puget sound fishing

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by wyofly, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Hello to all,
    I have been fly tying and fly fishing in fresh and saltwater for most of my life and now find myself travelling to the Tacoma area several times a year. I hope to learn about fishing opportunities in Puget Sound.
    I think that I have adequate equipment and maybe many of the flies that are effective in the area for sea run cutthroat and rainbow trout. Hopefully, I can get into a few salmon.
    The rods that I will bring when visiting are 6, 8 & 9 wt. and some of the flies that I have are Clauser Minnows, Crazy Charlie, egg sucking leach and salmon egg flies, but I’m in search of local patterns and all suggestion will be appreciated.
    I have access to beaches on Vashon Island and hope to find some productive fishing when I visit. I will read with great interest the posts associated with fishing Puget Sound.

Bob Triggs likes this.
  2. white and chartreuse clousers is the local special

3. It is one local special but there are many others depending on time of year and targeted fish. Puget Sound is home to King, Cum, coho, and Pink salmon and in some areas, sockeye, depending on time of year. It is also home to Searun Cuttrhroat, Resident Coho, Ling Cod, and Dolly Varden to just to name a few. You can fish exclusively with a Clouser minnow and be successful but there are many other tested and true patterns; Miyawaki Popper, Chum and Pink Turd (Like the bonefish pattern), Chum Fry, Amphipod, Euphasid, Chum Fry, and various candlefish and worm patterns. There are threads and pictures in the fly tying section of this web site and a muriad of posts regarding salt water fishing on Puget Sound. If you do a little research, you'll find that information. Rods vary from 6 on up but I'd say most guys fish from 6 to 8 wt. depending on species.

4. Although I've fished Puget Sound since I was a young buck back in the '60s I'm pretty new to tossing flies in the salt. I've found that the Gig Harbor Fly Shop website has some good info on places/patterns under the section entitled "The Neighborhood".

5. Thanks guys. I'm thinking that 4-6' single strand or a 6' 60 20 20 leader would work for most of the above flies. Any thoughts on Vashon Island beach fishing? I have an 18' Old Town Tripper canoe, a 12' fold boat and a 16' Clacka Craft drift boat. The canoe has a white water cover and I'm thinking of the 3 it would be the best suited for fishing just off of the beach. Your comments are welcome.

6. incoming tide fish the south end, outgoing fish the north to put you into the prime rips

7. Having been lately fishing from the beach and in a small boat I'm gonna vote stand on the beach. I don't even wear waders anymore. I've found that I almost always hook my SRC ( and the 5 silvers I landed this year ) In about 3-5 feet of water, which corresponds to my local beach as about. 25 feet out. Between currents and spooking fish, the beach just seems easier.

8. Anywhere along Vashon has the potential for good cutthroat and salmon fishing. As far as leaders, the standard is 9' 0X-3X. The pink salmon run this year, so hopefully you hook into a couple. Good luck

9. Good information, thanks to all.

10. I used a 16 ft. Mad River canoe the first year which i fly fished for resident coho on Puget Sound. I would often paddle 4 to 6 miles a day and caught a lot of resident coho out of it. A small anchor was helpful if there is very much tidal current at a fishing location or you can go ashore to fish. Most of the time I was paddling or fishing 50 ft. or less from shore so tidal current and wind were not much of problem unless it was blowing over 10 mph. A canoe or kayak will slow you down so that you are more observant plus it was easier to slip up quietly close to fish. It is a nice mode of transportation to cover some water when starting out fly fishing on Puget Sound. A year later I bought a 14 ft. Duroboat so that i could cover much more water in a day of fishing and I could launch at a closer ramp.

I will send you a PM in the next day or so about possible locations to catch salmon and sea-run cutthroat from shore or a canoe on Vashon Is.

Roger

daveypetey and Ed Call like this.
  11. Firstly, Welcome to Puget Sound Country! If you do some searches here for "Sea Run Cutthroat", "Resident Coho", "Beach Fishing" etc., you will find a raft of topics and discussions. Look up Les Johnson's books: "Fly Fishing Coastal Cutthroat Trout", "Fly Fishing Pacific Salmon" etc., from (Amato Books) Also see Chester Allen's new book from Stackpole Books: " Fly Fishing Sea Run Cutthroat". Doug Rose wrote some good books and may excellent articles too. Some of the people posting on these formus are stellar fishermen and you will do well to heed their advice. My advice would be to keep it simple. Honestly, if you do a little reading around here you will find most of what you need. Warm wishes for a happy new year!
    http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

12. Thanks Roger and Bob. I'll be in the Tacoma area around the 3rd week of Feb. and if the weather allows, I'll cast my first fly on the beaches of Vashon Island. With respect to catch and release, which species in the sound do you folks protect?

13. Sea-run cutthroat are catch-and-release year-round in all marine waters in Washington. Wild steelhead (those with intact adipose fins) must be released. At one time of year or another, any of the five species of salmon may be retained (see the regulation pamphlet for details, it can be complicated).

daveypetey likes this.
  14. Thank you Preston, good information.

15. I think I'm starting to get a handle on the area and recommended flies.
    The flies that I'm considering tying are:
    Miyawaki Popper, Chum, chum fry, Pink Turd, Amphipod,Euphasid, Candlefish, worm patterns, white and chartreuse Clousers and Popsicle. Are there any other recommendations?

16. Great selection so far, I would also add the Reverse Spider, a great SRC pattern!

17. Also 'the smaller the better' is what I have found to be true in these colder months vs the pattern sizes I was using in the summer.

18. The good stuff just keeps coming. Thank you very much.