NFR Wanting info on Puget sound fishing

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by wyofly, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +852 / 0
    winter is definately time for amphipods and euphasid patterns especially for coho
  2. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    Thank you all very much for the great information. I have ordered the tying materials that I don't have and I'm looking forward to tying the patterns that have been suggested.
  3. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    While it fun to tie and fish a bunch of different patterns, don't overthink the fly selection part of the game.
    The fish are agressive and not leader shy.
    If the only fly you fished was a chartreuse over white clouser, you'd catch plenty of fish.
  4. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    Thanks Stonefish. I have a few chartreuse over white Clousers and just finished some Reverse Spiders and candlefish and they can only get better. Also ordered Les Johnson's book "Fly Fishing Coastal Cutthroat Trout",
  5. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    Thank you all for being so helpful. If I may make another request. I'll be in Tacoma in late February and approximately every month to month and a half throughout the year. Can anyone lead me to a source that will give me a heads up as to what to expect in the way of available fish in the sound throughout the year.
  6. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Maple Valley
    Ratings: +262 / 3
    I believe Preston or Curt did a great breakdown of the salmon seasons earlier this year. I'll try to find it for you, but in general:

Early spring Apr/May... Cutthroat picks back up with the chum fry migration from the rivers
    May 1-June 15th...Lingcod opens in Puget Sound, gotta have a boat, 8-10 wt, and 30' of T14
    Mid July to Sept... Pink Salmon will start showing up in good numbers
    Late summer August to Oct.. Coho Salmon start to return
    Fall late Oct-Dec... Chum Salmon Return

Thats a very general list off the top of my head, but should cover most of the major pushes/general time fames.
    formerguide likes this.
  7. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Maple Valley
    Ratings: +262 / 3
  8. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    Thanks Steve, just what I was looking for.
  9. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    Bob Triggs recommended Les Johnson's books: "Fly Fishing Coastal Cutthroat Trout" and Chester Allen's " Fly Fishing Sea Run Cutthroat”, both of which arrived today. Thanks Bob
  10. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +895 / 0
    Can any of you recommend a shop where most of the flies used for sea-runs can be found? I expect to migrate to the Canal once ski season's wound down. I have the Clousers and a few others that I've tied, but I'd like to pick up a decent assortment along with another line and spare spool.

Also, when's Doug Rouse's weekend sea-run clinic? Should be sometime in March, shouldn't it? I wasn't able to go last year thanks to the foot, but am more than ready now.
  11. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +474 / 0
    Doug Rose has experienced some health problems of late and has turned over the organization of this year's Cutts n' Chum seminar to Jeff Delia and Ron Hirschi. It was originally scheduled for March 23-24. I'll try to get in contact with Jeff today and post an update.
  12. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +852 / 0
    Gig harbor fly shop is one of my favs for searun cutt patterns, most of their locally tied stuff is exclusive to their shop, they're all pretty killer. I'd definately stop in there sometime.
  13. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +376 / 0
    Alex, to add to Pat's recommendation and if you're going to be close to Hood Canal, try Peninsula Outfitters in Poulsbo. I've found the owner and staff to be very helpful and they have a good selection of fly fishing paraphenalia.
  14. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +895 / 0
    thanks guys! I'll make it a point to stop in at both this Spring.

Preston, you'll let me know? Ski season will be over by then, and I'll be ready for some fishing.
  15. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    I think most of the Puget Sound shops will have a great selection. I've always enjoyed browsing the saltwater section at Patrick's. Lots of great flies there.

J