Wanting to hear all about your Delta Spey set ups and casting tips.

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by James Waggoner, Mar 21, 2011.

1. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Media:
    Just got a Delta Spey 6/7 multi-tip, from the Red Shed...Thanks Poppy!...just wanted to hear how others set up their system, things like leaders and fly sizes, rod sizes and action you prefer. Everything is relevent, I'm new to the Delta spey line and would like to wade through any info you may have for me.

What I do know at this point: I like the 52' head length; 10 strips put's me out to 100 - 105'. I'm currently falling short in the turnover area...are tight loops outside the design window of this line? Tailing loops are killing me!

I'm using my 7136 Z-Axis, would anyone else agree the 6/7 Delta is a tad heavy?

Anyway, thanks for anything you have to offer.

James.

2. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Media:
    Fabulous fishing line for all around stuff . Large stinger flies with med. lead eyes on a 9/10 w/ my steelhead sp , no sweat-

3. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    Short 10 lb. Maxima Ultra Green leaders w/ tips. 12 ft. tapered leaders w/ about 2-3 ft. of tippet w/ the floater. I fish tubes and smaller leeches w/ the Delta. When I throw big junk, it's Skagit time. I fish a Delta 90% of the time. Great line.

4. James Waggoner

Media:
    Big Tuna, when you say short leader, do you mean like 3' -4' short or 4' - 6' short? At 10# mono level leader, probably 3' - 4' is the right answer...but just want to check.

5. sheetfly

sheetfly Member

So I watched this video by Jim Teeney and the only thing I cared to remember from the whole thing was about avoiding tailing loops. His fix was to rotate the rod on the forward stroke. That would be twisting the rod by hyper extending the wrist. In other words the reel would end up flat to the water outside your elbow. Make sense? Does it work? Dunno.
    Somehow James I think you will have an opinion to share shortly.
    Scott

6. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    If you're casting 105 ft consistently I don't think you need casting advice.

I'm no expert, but I would think the tailing loops are from sweeping too low up to too low of a forward casting position leaving slack between the line and D. The other culprit could be over aggression in casting stroke from sweep to D causing tremors in the line.

7. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Deltas throw tight loops very well. Pay attention to your top hand acceleration prior to the bottom hand pop.

8. James Waggoner

Media:
    Pan, I think your onto something. After reading a PM from Leroy, you both mention slack. As I analyze my day on the water in my head, I'd have to agree it's slack. I can tell this line wants to throw tight loops, I just can't seem to get the last 5' of tip and 5' of leader to not tail and foul on itself. Thanks for the advice, always appreciative!

James.

9. Marcel

Marcel Member

I feel your pain on the tailing loops. Over accelerating with your bottom hand can cause this. Ideally your rod tip travels in a straight line on the fwd stroke. If you accelerate (with bottom hand) too quickly on your fwd stroke the extra flex in your rod causes your rod tip to dip, the line will follow that path resulting in tailing loops.

10. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Yup. almost always an acceleration issue. That, and with longer lines dropping the tip before the loop fully forms.

11. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

I'm about to bust mine out again, have the reel spooled up but have run into either weather or water conditions that have proven fruitless...

I think the delta is one of the best all around lines for fishing still out there...I don't think it throws as tight of loops as other lines..but your fishing and as long as it turns over the fly you should be happy I'd think...On the sink tips I go shorter for bigger flies and longer for smaller ones...but still that's 3-4', you can go regular leader and tippet on the dry one for sure..

Biggest thing I've always found with them is to stop and let the D loop form...casting skagits all winter makes you go too fast....spend some time watching your loop and you'll pick it up again pretty quick...

Also always thought the delta long with tips threw a bit better for me, but on shorther rods, i.e. 13' the delta is a sweet set-up...
    Kind of makes you wonder why no one else has come out with something like it that could throw a bit bigger fly...I keep thinking I should try out the fall favorite with a tip and see how it works...

12. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

First spey line I ever owned. It is my go to line for my Sage 9140-4 although I now also occasionally fish a Rio Flight on that rod. Before I ever knew what a Skagit line was, I was fishing the 9140/Delta multi-tip set up for all conditions, including throwing relatively big stuff with the heaviest tip in the wallet for winter steelhead and kings in Alaska. I now will more typically fish a traditional Skagit (on a 7141-4) or the Flight (on the 9140-4) in the winter because, well, honestly it's a little easier to throw the big junk with those lines, particularly the Skagit. I sometimes fish with two rods - the 7141-4 with a Skagit line and heavy tips for throwing the big junk in heavier water and the 9140-4 with the Delta multi-tip for fishing softer water with lighter tips. One thing I have noticed is that with the Delta - particularly when switching from a Skagit set up during the course of the day - I really need to pay attention to slowing everything down and use a less compact motions throughout the cast. I also fish a Delta multi-tip on the 7141-4 sometimes though that is really my thunderstick for the big heavy winter stuff.

13. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    3'-4'

14. James Waggoner

Media:
    I'm really excited to get into this line, all part of the natural progression to the long belly...I'm hoping anyway.

One thing I found already about the delta, is it works very well at even short distances. Even with the head pulled in 15' I can still punch out a decent cast and shoot some line. I think this maybe my new spring/summer/fall line.

Here is a thought, as I was working today, I was mulling over my casting/turnover issue and came up with another possibility:
    First of all, let me say I'm sure I can learn to cast this line "as is" but to me perhaps the 6/7 delta (This may only pertain to the 6/7) would be a better performer if it didn't have such a heavy running line. It just seems the head doesn't have enough mass to really pull the running line through the guides with any authority, since the energy has to go somewhere, it ends up moving down the line in the opposite direction causing the tailing loop. Does this sound plausible? or is my desire to cut and splice all lines clouding my judgment?

15. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Yeah. Sounds like a personal problem :p. Here's a question though. Have you played around with the amount of overhang? having running line in the tip top generally gives me a tighter loop and more line speed on the shoot. If you're holding back taper in the tip, it could be contributing to your large loops and lack of shoot.

16. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    I've never really noticed any effect from the running line. I definitely think that all running lines are not created equal, but I've never experienced substantial differences in my casting from just the running line. I would say it's a casting issue. I believe you are a scandi or skagit guy. The difference in head length will take a bit of getting used to, but I don't think the learning curve is all that steep. One consideration might be line weight. When you look at Airflo line recs, you will sometimes see differences between Dec's recs and Tim's recs. I have tended to go with the upper end of the line recs because a heavier line seems to match my casting style. You could easily try out the 7/8 and see if there is a noticeable difference. Of course, if the grain weight of the 7/8 is well above the grain window for your rod, that would probably not be a good idea.

17. James Waggoner

Media:
    I am used to using 30# amnesia for running line...the running line on this small light head (6/7 delta) is like rope...relitively speaking. Seems like the windcutter I owned had smaller/lighter running line then this does. Anyway the head seems a tad heavy not too light, so going up a line size sounds further from what I'm looking for. The 6/7 loads the rod nicely enough, so I'll just stick with it. As far as running lines go, I do believe they do effect casting roll out, when casting a heavier fly on a 38' DDC head, I'll allow the last 10 - 15' of amnesia to be pulled through my fingers to assist roll out.

I'm really starting to appreciate this line, can't wait for summer and the full floating Delta spey.

18. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

Media:
    Great lines, love my two. I agree the run line seems a bit oversized on my 7/8.. maybe not so much on the 8/9 . The original Windcutters [pre color change] had a smaller still dia runner.. Manufacturors quik cure against warrenty issues, step up the material.. pretty common.

If necessary [sometimes it just 'is'] you can force a line / leader to turn over by applying a smooth haul in your run line near the end of the shot.

Sounds like your cast is doing great to me :thumb:

19. DocDoc

DocDoc Member

Don't like the Delta running line? Cut it off and connect the AirFlo ridge running line (I use 30#). You can weld, use a flex zap splice, or braid to make the join.

20. James Waggoner

Media:
    Which one would you use? I would think if using a flex zap or Braided splice, I'd probably want it a foot or so off the end of the running line portion, before the head, to keep it out of the guides when casting. As far as the Weld, would be nice have it just "reel side" of the pinch point when casting to utilize the existing fat line for handling. I like the idea of the welded splice, any advice to how long the splice should be?

Thanks James.