Wanting to tie my own flies

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Slow73, Jun 16, 2005.

1. cmtundra

cmtundra New Member

Sorry. In all seriousness, I'd never heard of this fly until just now. When I read the name, the first picture that popped in my head was of old kung-fu movies....you know, the ones where we get to see which style is better, the Drunken Monkey style -vs- the Praying Mantis. -of course everyone knows that the Praying Mantis, if done right, "no can defend" -immortal words of Mr. Myagi. :rofl: ptyd

2. Trevor

Trevor New Member

May as well continue the threadjack... I never heard of it either, but I found this and it decribes the pattern in limited detail:

> Hi all,
    > In reply to the "drunken dragon" fly pattern question by Mike, it was
    > developed by
    > William Servey who does work at Swede's as part of an on-going interest in
    > using dyed
    > yellow pheasant rump, peacock green chenille and glass beads, which are
    > called
    > rochelle beads.
    > These are actually silver beads with a red overlay that produces an
    > incredible effect
    > when fished subsurface on sunny days. They actually "sparkle". They were
    > fist
    > introduced as an integral part of the "Olive Willy", another Servey genius
    > that has
    > produced some staggering results.
    > The combination of soft hackle, red bead and peacock green coloring
    produces
    > some
    > great responses from most rivers and lakes these patterns have been tried
    > in. Some
    > variations using red rabbit strips wing toppings are equally successful on
    > overcast
    > days.
    > As Paul has correctly noted, the beads for the drunken dragon are slipped
    on
    > 30 lb.
    > line, actually a RIO product called "slick shooter" line and the ends
    > slightly melted.
    > The body is totally peacock green chenille wrapped dragon fly nymph shape
    > with the
    > abdomen being 2/3 the body proportion and the head distinct, flat and
    squat
    > with the
    > prominent protruding eyes. The pheasant rump dyed yellow is tied in as
    legs.
    > And yes, William would be more than happy to share his creations with
    anyone
    > who has
    > an interest. I have learned much from him.
    >
    > Al Peterson
    >

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

If you want to buy some they are about $30.00 a dozen. I was at AATF when he was doing his thing a few saturday's ago. It takes about 10 minutes to tie one up. I have tried a couple of them but it was only practice so I didn't have the red eyes,but they do have eyes. A very different way to tie up a fly. But interesting.

Jim

I did a couple of them and tried to take a picture to post but my camera skills are not what you would call good. Anybody else got any pictures of them fly's

4. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

I have one Drunken Dragon that William tied up at All About the Fly and will see if I can get a couple good pictures of it, if he doesn't mind it being posted.

I've got to sit down and try to tie a few, and I'm sure it will take me longer than 10 minutes to tie!

Bill

5. Tony

Tony Tony

thanks trevor for the info now to wait on a picture and then on to the vise. I did find a description on the post for the olive willie but would really like to see what it looks like before attempting to tie one up.
    tony

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

As for tying the Drunken Dragon you have to see it done in order to tie one up. Any picture you come up with won't do the fly justice. The abdomen is tied in a way that I have never seen before. I don't think that it can be explained.

Just a little useless info from one who doesn't tie worth a damn. :beathead:

Jim

7. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!