Warm water

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Chris Bellows, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    [​IMG]

Neah Bay buoy at 63.7 degrees in June. The highest I ever saw from 99-05 was 58 degrees.

Mackerel already on Swiftsure... could be an interesting summer.

2. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Media:
    Interesting

3. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

I just got back from 3 days at Neah. Maiden fishing trip with the new boat. I was getting 61-62 degrees on my 'ducer everywhere I was including Swiftsure. I saw a sun fish for the first time, but I don't think they are rare up here in the summer. Lots of talk a the dock about the temps. I did ok out at Swiftsure for coho. Mostly smaller fish, but it was fun to catch coho 3 weeks before I normally do. It was windy as hell in the afternoon - more so than normal. I didn't fish as much as I wanted to. Could not find many rockfish in the usual spots. Getting concerned about the downward trend with rockfish last couple years.

4. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Sometimes warm water temps right along the coastline here off Westport occur during and after we have had southerly winds. It seems that the ocean currents change and move the warm water in, shutting off most of the upwelling of colder deep ocean water.

The upwelling and colder water return after we have steady prevailing northerly and northwesterly winds again, which blow the warm surface water out of here and let the upwelling of cold water start up again. Already the sea surface temp has dropped from a high hovering around 63 and 64 F to a slightly cooler 60 - 61 F range, since the wind started blowing harder from the NW yesterday. I'll bet we see it drop into the high or mid 50's here if these strong NW winds continue for several days.

A hot looking local surfer girl was seen surfing at Westhaven in only her bikini on Saturday afternoon. No wetsuit required for the hardy when its 64!

In spite of the warm water, some baitfish showed up and the birds have been gathering for the feast.

These conditions remind me of some "El Nino" years here.

5. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    sun fish are not rare way offshore, but i've never seen one on swiftsure. that's some warm water.

sucks about the rockfish and i agree with you. it will be too little, too late when wdfw finally does what is necessary.