Warmest fishing gloves

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Rory McMahon, Oct 28, 2008.

1. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    man, that really works too. I put a couple handwarmers on the inside of my wrists and I started sweating...
    and I'll put another agree with Jason in too-
    once you get into the low twenties it stops being fun and starts getting risky. You fall in, you might not make it back to your truck. BBRRR

2. Jake Bannon

Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

Media:
    I never wear gloves.....I just think its uncomftorble to fish while wearing them.

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Put on a hat, warms everything. If it is really cold I like my thinner neoprene gloves and can do what I need to in them. I even can tie knots with them on if necessary. I once tied a nail knot without a tool on a cold as hell day. I needed a new leader on, and the cold day was the only day I had free to fish.

4. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    i really didnt think the cold was that big of deal. if your afraid of frostbite, maybe dont let yourself get that cold? i layered correctly i was toasty. plus i was generally on the move covering ground, keeping the blood going. keeping the guides from icing was tricky but the trout were still biting. i had some great days and i wasnt the only one out there toughin it out.

definitely not nearly as cold as float tubin a lake in the winter. that is rediculous and i doubt any pair of simms anything will keep your feet from falling off.

5. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

For late season "Thompson River type cold" or mid-winter on the Skagit, I like the fingerless fleece gloves with the mittens that can be pulled over my bare digits. If it really gets cold I have pulled on a pair of lightweight neoprene gloves under them. It gets bulky but still workable. We have these gloves at Orvis.
    Les Johnson

6. Rory McMahon

Rory McMahon Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    i wonder if theres any electric gloves where you like use a double a and it has a wire through the glove or something. As dumb as it sounds to mix electricity and gloves that get wet often im sure someone could do it right, and your not dealing with much electricity with a double a

7. TC

TC I live with wind knots

Regarding the feet thing, I have had my toes frost bit black in a moose hunt when I was younger, so they are extra sensitive to the cold. Hurt like hell when they get cold now. SO I buy my boots a size too big, put 3 pair of wool socks over a pair of smart socks, and do they stay warm. my legs will freeze off before my feet feel it.

8. Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston Been around a while

Media:
    I hate my feet getting cold. Once they get cold my whole body gets cold!

9. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

I can 'relate.'

Frost bite (and it does continue to 'bite') on three fingers on my left hand. Much below 40 degrees and gloves have to go on (circulation problem, and I'm sure smoking doesn't help) ...

Regardless of your choice of glove(s), AND hat, is to keep in mind that you lose about 25% of your body heat from the neck up, and another 15% (give or take) from your hands. Keeping both warm AND dry is key to staying warm during the winter. A set of nitrite/doctors gloves will go a long way in dealing with the bottom 15%.

:ray1:
    Fred

10. Hoopa

Hoopa cantreMember

Had to resurrect this thread to find a better way to keep the fingers from freezing. I was on the river this a.m. in 15 degrees wearing nitrile gloves and fingerless wool gloves. My fingers froze!! Tomorrow it is supposed to get up to mid 30's but I am replacing the fingerless with full fingered wool gloves. Hope that works.

11. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Media:
    I was wearing fleece/neoprene glacier gloves this morning and I did fine. No fish, but my hands weren't frozen. They're not too thick, but warm enough and the thumb and index finger tips fold back for easy knot tying. Works fine for me.
    -Ethan

12. Hoopa

Hoopa cantreMember

I think I'll run over to Sportsmans Warehouse and take a look at those fleese/neoprene gloves you mention, Ethan. Iv'e tried neoprene but had to remove them to tie knots, brrrr.
    This morning, silly me, I forgot to put a couple of handwarmers in my jacket pockets. Buy them by the case cheap at Costco for fishing and golf and keep them in the car trunk.

13. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I have always found my hands the warmest without gloves.

It is better to have pockets with handwarmers in them than gloves IMO.

This is because the gloves collect water and keep your hands wet which really conducts heat out of them leaving them colder than they need to be. When it is really cold, neoprene won't do much in my experience.

If your hands get wet in the cold, and if it is as cold as it is now, they will usually dry out fairly quickly by rubbing them together, this is because the air is actually very dry at temps in the current range.

After your hands are dry enough, stick them in your pockets with the handwarmers.

14. troutaholic

troutaholic Member

Home Page:
    Glacier Kenai Shorty Glove/Mittens for me. I like the neoprene palms and the velcro buttons to velcro back the mitten cover. They are very warm and not too expensive ($6-10). I got mine at Sportco.

15. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    you guys wear gloves in western WA? isn't cold like 45° down there? Thats t shirt weather...

16. Hoopa

Hoopa cantreMember

Powder, swear to Zeus it was 15* on the river this morning just nort of Portland!!!

17. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

I think the bottom line is trying everything and finding something that works. Hand warmers in the pockets or taped to the inside, just above the wrist help tremendously. 3M makes a tape called Transpore 1" that works extremely well for taping.

I carry three pairs of gloves with me when I'm floating for the day along with a full set of gear to get someone out if they go down.

I like the Simms Windstopper a lot. However, these suck profusely once wet which pretty much means every outing.

I carry a pair of fleece liners with OR mitts for use when rowing or if someone gets too cold, they get put in these. It happened last Sunday in the snow and wind. They worked great. It's tough to fish in them but possible with a little practice and they are pleasantly warm even on the coldest days.

I also carry a pair of DaKine mitts which are very warm, also used for rowing or if someone gets too cold. They are impossible to fish in though.

I'm definitely going to make some additions to my glove arsenal, specifically adding some wool; so, thanks for the information here.

I don't think you can rely on just one pair of gloves to keep you warm for the day here in the winter.

Ed

18. Joe Smolt

Joe Smolt Member

Media:
    When I was young I would say "gloves....I don't need no stinkin gloves" As I get older, I have no need for this machismo. Man when my hands get cold and they don't function, it sucks.

My solution is fingerless fleece gloved with the heat packs stuffed in the back of the top side. Its amazing how an almost imperceptable level of heat makes the difference. The top back side keeps them out of the way so I can grip the rod as usual. After doing this, you wonder why you do anthing else. I bet this is less to do with type of gloves and more to do with using the heater packs.

I also carry a full neoprene gloves to slip on and off why rowing.

Joe

19. Michael&Tanner

Michael&Tanner Sir Real

Hands: Fingerless wool gloves while fishing. Big comfy mittens kept in pockets for walking time.

Feet: Smartwool, filson, or carhartt socks. I used to wear multiple pairs, but found that the key is NOT to compress the wool too much. One pair of thick socks with or without a liner, seems to work best for me.

Keeping my head and core warm really helps out the extremities.
    I wear under armour or merino wool base layers.
    Usually a wool shirt or thin sweater over.
    Fleece zip up next if needed
    Good jacket on top.

The jackets vary a lot. Depending on the weather, I'll wear a Filson waxed canvas wading jacket, a woolrich waterproof breathable, or an old red & black wool coat.

A pull over fleece or wool cap is pretty essential for me, although I keep drooling at the Filson duck hunting hat...

.Michael

20. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have the Glacier Kenai gloves. I don't like to wear them if it can be avoided, but with the flip-back index finger and thumb tips, they do allow for some decent dexterity, and they do a good job of staving off the cold.