Warning!!! Gear advice needed. AGAIN.

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Danielocean, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +393 / 0
    Single hand 10' 7wt, or 11ft 7wt switch for indicator fishing. I can get a nice Redington Pursuit 10' 7wt for around 80 bucks. If I go the switch route I will have to wait longer before I can lay down the cash on it. If I go the single hand route I will be indicator nymphing this next weekend, if I go switch route I will not be able to afford to do it right away. So, should I get the single hander or hold out for the switch. Help me guys cause I have some cash burning a hole in my wallet.
  2. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +96 / 0
    To fish sooner , rather than later ? Is this a trick question ?
    Get the rod now . Go fishing .
  3. homeslice New Member

Ratings: +6 / 0
    Agreed. Catching fish isn't for this who wait.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  4. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe

Well I will be fishing sooner regardless. I have just been swinging this whole entire time and I need to change it up for my own sanity. Ideally what I would like to do is swing through a run, then go back to the top and run an indicator through it. The difference between my two options is only one foot, so I do not know how much of an impact that really would have on my fishing experience.
  5. homeslice New Member

Ratings: +6 / 0
    Get a friend together and try dual fishing the spot with different setups. Others could reach your spot by the 2nd round

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  6. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +371 / 0
    Get the single hander to add to your arsenal, and you'll have it for a beach rod next year too to chase silvers.
  7. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +893 / 1
    Borrow my 8wt switch rod and if you don't like it then buy the single hander, if you do like it, keep using until you are ready to buy your own.
  8. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +448 / 0
    Use the money to buy gas. Use the gas to locate yourself where there are more steelhead.

Once I realized that the most important part of steelheading was fishing where there were steelhead, I started catching a lot more fish.

Go Sox,
    cds
  9. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe

I have already done that dude, I am asking about the purchase of a rod not anything else.
    Irafly likes this.
  10. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +609 / 0
    Dan I'd say 8wt for single hand and for sure 10ft. Would suck to hook a 20pound winter run with your hevi beads only for the rod to be outmatched...and knowwing your luck that's probably what's going to happen. 25lb fish breaks your rod at your feet

the way I see it you already got a sweet 2hand setup so a switch kind of overlaps with that. 10ft 8wt adds another dimension to your arsenal. That being said you can't go wrong with either.

Plus the single hand can crush salmon on beaches which opens up another fishery for you when rivers are blown or something
  11. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Your right daniel. Continue with your line of logic. It's worked so far.

Go Sox,
    cds
    golfman44 and BASS_TURDS like this.
  12. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Thanks
  13. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    I'm this tough in person. Don't attribute my Chuck Norris web presence to the interwebz. I seriously just beat my 2 daughters (cobined age 15) in an epic pillow fight.

Best of luck!

Go Red Sox,
    cds
    BASS_TURDS and Randall Clark like this.
  14. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Dude I would kick ur ass in a pillow fight
  15. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Ratings: +140 / 0
    I own my 3 1/2 year old in pillow fights...little guy's got nothin'!
  16. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Is it really likely that I am going t out gunned with a 7wt if I hook a winter steelhead this year?
  17. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    No. You will not be outgunned. Play the fish like you don't care if the rod breaks. This is easier with an 80 dollar 7 wt than a 300 dollar 8 wt.

Go Sox,
    cds
  18. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +609 / 0

[IMG]
    From what I've read not really but an 8 wt would be much better for the wild fish. And its not like any steelhead will feel like a bitch on an 8 wt, they will all fight well. Add to the fact that the 8 wt will help you turn over your egg dropper off a dropper egg off another dropper egg off a hevi bead off a squidro better than a 7 wt and its probably a good idea. But at the end of the day its your rod so get what you want
  19. gearhead Active Member

Renton, wa
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    go with the 11-7 switch....will handle anything and is light enough for some simple single hand stuff. don't need to spend a ton of money.
  20. troutdopemagic Active Member

Lake Stevens, Washington
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    As much as I feel like you need another rod like I need another beer, I'd reccomend the single hander for nymphing because almost all the switch rods on the market are difficult to use single handed, and spey casting a nymphing setup if your not an experienced spey caster is just asking for trouble. The single hand will really be your best bet. The only advantage the switch will have is if you want to do some small to medium rivers dry line stuff in addition to your nymphing.

Don't you already have a single handed 8 weight or some shit? Just a get a RIO Nymph line and ride your majestic steed across the OP with the rest of the Bead Boyz tearing up those gnarly chromerz.