Warning!!! Gear advice needed. AGAIN.

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Danielocean, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

8 wt single hander or a 7wt switch. Both have advantages. I still prefer to fish a single hander outta the boat but a switch from the bank is the only way to go. IMO. I bobber fish an 896 XP and have never thought it was too much rod for any steelhead.

2. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Daniel Ocean said "OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT:................................................KEEPING THE TFO"

Do you not have this anymore? You can nymph with it.

3. i already told you i would sell yhou my switch with the switch line you dick cheese

4. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Oh um I dont have that anymore. Long story. I now have NO single hander. I only own a spey rod setup.

5. Danielocean

Let me ask you this guys. If I go an buy the appropriate line, is it out of the question to try nymphing with my 12' 9" Echo Classic 7wt? Guy at Red's just told me "why not", so I do not know if hes fucken crazy or not.

6. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy Banned or Parked

7. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

I would think it would actually depend on how you're wanting to nymph and the size of the water.

super long drifts & big water? centerpin.

smaller pocket water? SH (personally, I prefer 8-8.5' rods, but most folks like the extra reach a 9'6"-10' rod will give you).

Back when I had a switch (and a longer spey), the only one I ever attempted nymphing with was the switch & I hated it for that application...not that it couldn't effectively get your junk out there, because it could, very easily--too easily even. I just felt much more of a disconnect with the whole experience...but that's just my personal opinion. Longer TH rods are also more tiring if you're tight-lining IMO.

8. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I can't imagine trying to nymph with a spey rod. Just doesn't have the same feel. And seems ridiculous.

9. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I once saw a dude at reiter nymphing with a two hander. He had a thingamabobber about the size of a golf ball attached. Looked pretty funny.

10. Danielocean

Okay I thought is sounded wierd.

11. baitcaster

12. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Best answer

13. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I'm sure you could do it. I just think it would be pretty brutal trying to constantly mend and high stick any rod longer than 10 feet.

I think I'd get a centerpin if I could.

14. Danielocean

Alright you have a deal. I will buy your switch rod.

15. Darthmonkey

Darthmonkey Active Member

Switch rod, line control = super long drifts and getting your beads down deep. You already have a single hand rod, what is the point of getting another? Personally I say fuck all that noise and get a raft, it'll open up a shit ton of water you haven't otherwise been able to access.

BASS_TURDS likes this.
  16. Danielocean

No single hander anymore, the cork on my old original broke off.

17. Darthmonkey

Darthmonkey Active Member

Was it not covered under warranty?

18. Danielocean

It was an old ww grigg 8wt that I bought a while ago. I could not get ahold of the company and the cost to put on a nice new handle reel seat and fighting butt was quoted more than the rod itself. I am going to try turning it into a wading staff since it was a 2 piece.

19. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Daniel,

WTF? I thought you wanted to catch a steelhead fly fishing?

BTW, if the cork grip broke off your Grigg rod, it's not that hard to put on a new one for the cost of the cork. Are you at least half ways handy? Do you have a drill motor? A few scraps of wood? Anyway, an 8 wt isn't strong enough for a wading staff.

Sg

20. Danielocean

I just knew you were going to chime in eventually. I was thinking about the trap I was setting myself for creating this thread but oh well. When my email popped up and it said " Salmo_g has replied to your thread", I just said "god damnit" LOL.

Yes Mr,G I am very handy, I just lack the knowledge in fly rod repair, and from what I have seen so far it would cost atleast about 50 bucks to re-do the whole grip, reel seat, and fighting but section. I will get around to it eventually. Hey you never know,perhaps you would let me buy you a beer and you can show me how to do it.

Thanks for chiming in like always. LOL.