Warning!!! Gear advice needed. AGAIN.

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Danielocean, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +573 / 0

Mr G I do not choose to dignify that question with a response! LOL fuck man I am desperate.
  2. Darthmonkey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +147 / 0
    I think craigslist has ads for that sort of thing.
  3. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    Brady Burmeister and Jason Rolfe like this.
  4. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    I hear what you guys are saying I really do. I promise to keep at it with the swing but I guess I am just starting to have weak moments as I can start to see the end of the season on the horizon.
  5. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    end of season wtf are you talkin about dan? winter steel is just around the corner, consider feb 15th the end for puget sound, and the 0p in march and april
  6. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Dude the way my year/life has been, I will blink, and then it will be fucken march.
  7. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +986 / 0
    Then blink again and its June 1st!
    BASS_TURDS likes this.
  8. Brady Burmeister Active Member

OH
    Ratings: +132 / 0
    Enjoy your time on the river. Enjoy the beautiful part of the world you live in. Work on your technique while you're out there. Explore. Free yourself from the pressure of catching. Start looking at it as just a nature hike,...what else would you rather be doing? If you're just there to haul to fish to hand you're missing a good deal of the experience. The fish will come,....sometimes a bunch a once, sometimes with very long gaps in between.
    BASS_TURDS likes this.
  9. Evan Virnoche Guest

go hammer trout for a weekend switch it up
  10. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    You guys should come hammer srcs with me it's a blast
  11. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,603 / 0
    My rate is two beers (micro brew, naturally) for cork grips and reel seats. Fighting butt is usually free.
  12. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0

Did you see my analogy about johnny fly fisherman, because your experience is matching it dead nuts. Congrats to Charles for sticking with it! Don't give up...pay your dues!

I will copy and past the analagy here....

Johnny flyfisherman is put into a trance seeing and hearing stories along with videos about majestic steelhead being taken on the swing. He can't help himself... thinking about it constantly...at work, at home...on the john. All these pictures of guys catching steelhead and talking about it.... Surely johnny can do it too. Johnny pays out the ass for gear, new rods, lessons, flies, etc etc. In the process of buying all the said gear...Johnny just about loses mrs. johnny with his new financial endeavors... but he's gonna catch one and it will be glorious beyond all his wildest dreams.....

Johnny tries so hard to get one....He tries and tries one season after another. Johnny at one point decides it is damn near impossible to catch one on the swing. "What a bunch of crap!", he thinks to himself. Then Johnny is tempted to use the floats, and bobbers, and splitshot that helped him so easily catch steelhead before this new addiction came along. He concedes to his temptation, and Resorts to gear fishing...er I mean putting gear on a fly rod and calling it fly fishing..... then it happens... Johnny catches a steelhead on gear attached to his fly rod.

Johnny takes pictures of his glorious accomplishment, and posts on all the internet forums along with Facebook etc. Johnny receives lavish praise and cheer from family friends and relatives. Johnny is now a fly fishing expert master steelheader guru and gives lots of advice and suggestions to all those other poor souls who haven't paid their dues and still have not caught a fish on a fly rod.

Johnny goes fishing again and catches another fish on his same gear, and posts another picture on the net. In johnny's carelessness, he accidentally shows the yarnie in the corner of the fish's mouth. Quickly, another fly fishing master expert guru notices the yarnie and calls Johnny out telling him he caught it on gear, and to grow up, to be a real man and not use all that gear on his Fly rod.

Johnny gets upset, and then begins to tell everyone on the net to F-OFF. He begins to tell everyone it takes mucho more skills and abilities to catch a steelhead on nymphing gear....with all that mending and casting of splitshot and bobbers... so much more than just casting a fly out there at a 45 degree angle and "swinging" into shore...Any buffoon can do that.

You see, Johnny doesn't want to lose his status as a fly fishing master expert Jedi guru steelheader, and anytime someone brings up nymphing vs swinging, he defends nymphing to the death. Finally, there are a few who consistently and often catch steelhead on the swing...why? Because they paid their dues and stuck with it and never gave up. These special fishermen know the work involved, the psychological pain, the psychological suffering, and struggle they went through to consistently catch fish, on the swing, on their own, and without a guide. Anytime a young wannabe johnny fly-fisherman comes along and tells the world that nymphing and swinging are the same thing or equal, those in the special club get pissed and tell johnny its not the same thing. And the war continues and continues throughout all time and eternity.......
    golfman44 and BASS_TURDS like this.
  13. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +372 / 0
    I was actually going to reply to that in the other thread, and change Johnny to Danielocean, because it seemed to fit so well after this new thread.

Daniel, I feel ya. I'm in the same boat. Hooked a few but never landed them. You seem to care enough about this though, that I would venture to say that you'll be much happier if you get your first one on the swing.
  14. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Yeah I hear you guys. Sorry for the weak moment. I will keep on trucking up the hill.
  15. Evan Virnoche Guest

yah man up daniel i dont fish with pussies
    golfman44 and Jason Rolfe like this.
  16. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +372 / 0
    I would add that, while I have no first-hand experience with this, my guess would be that it might be just as hard to learn to nymph up a fish as it is to swing one up, if you're just starting out. You still have to figure out where the fish are. Unless you are in a boat and the rower is helping you deliver your fly. That's a whole different matter.

I'm in the same boat as you--been gradually working at it over the last few years, with only a few hookups and bumps to show for my effort, but no fish to hand. The idea of switching from swinging to nymphing has no appeal for me, because I don't want to have to learn another way to fish at this point. Plus, I'm a bit of a romantic, a big fan of all the old swingers like Glasso, et al., and so I really want to get my first one to hand after a proper swing.

One goal I do have, though, is to figure out how to tie some of those really complicated stoneflies by that guy from the OP (they're in Combs and Rose's books), and try using them on some smaller steelhead water. They're just such good looking flies.
  17. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Johnny No Boots

This forum is going to crash obamacare style when Daniel gets his fish
    Salmo_g and troutdopemagic like this.
  18. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Thanks for the switch rod man. Very happy..............................Dick.
  19. Evan Virnoche Guest

no worries you just funded my centerpin rod