Washington PHWFF Chapter???

Discussion in 'Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing' started by Christian Brewer, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Christian Brewer Super Slacker

Slacking in Mill Creek
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    I see there was a PHWFF event in Sept 09 (I don't know how I missed that one)...so is there a Washington Chapter? If so who/where can I contact about being apart of it? I looked all over the PHWFF website just now and a few weeks ago after I watched a fishing show covering the program but couldn't find anything. :confused:

Jerry/Chris thanks for putting the forum folder up.

Christian
  2. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +579 / 5
    There is on the PHWFF website about contacting the local NW admin. You must've of missed it. But this will be a direct link to Chuck Tye the Admin here. I did put up a thread asking for people to help out, so you may have missed it in the main forum. But keep your eyes peeled here. Plus, I'm getting Chuck to sign up and start posting here. But I can get you in touch with Chuck. Currently, we have a program going on at the Seattle VA and at Ft Lewis at the WTU. We have the tying at the WTU at Ft Lewis every tuesday at 1300 until usually 1800 or later (depending on the soldiers we get). I'm not sure on the schedule at the Seattle VA. I do know they were trying to get one going at the American Lake VA and several other locations across the state. We also do the occasional rod wrapping too. You just need to get access to the base. You can either catch a ride with someone else that has clearance (like a pass on their vehicle) or another volunteer like myself who can have you get a pass at maingate.

In fact, we are doing a rod wrapping demo a week from this saturday at the WTU.
  3. Christian Brewer Super Slacker

Slacking in Mill Creek
    Thanks Jerry!!! I won't be in town next weekend but will put my name on the list for future events. I would love to do the tying...but not sure if I can make it down to Fort Lewis...Ill contact chuck about the Seattle VA events.

Christian
  4. P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Seattle.
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    There's tying in the Transitional care unit at the Seattle VA on Tue mornings (1st floor near main entrance) if you are a vet interested in tying. Let me know if you are asking about volunteering to help teach (it's unclear to me)
  5. Christian Brewer Super Slacker

Slacking in Mill Creek
    Paul thanks but I'm not available during the days on weekdays because of that whole having to work issue that I can't figure out how to get around...:beathead:. Please let me know if any evening or weekend stuff comes up. I could possibly take a morning off once in a while to teach tying...but Tuesdays are my busy day at work.

Christian
  6. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +579 / 5
    Christian. That's my problem too. I have a work schedule that doesn't allow me to take a couple hours off to do this. So I take every tuesday of my vacation and any day off I can scrounge on a Tuesday and head to the Ft Lewis WTU. So I'm not there every Tuesday like some of the guys who are retired or have flexible work schedules. BUT, they're trying to extend the hours on the WTU on tuesdays. So hoping to make a few more latenights myself.
  7. P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Seattle.
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    there are some weekend outings that happen and there might be an opportunity to help. I'll try and keep people here posted. The Seattle VA has a lot of hoops to jump through in order to volunteer so it's not always easy. We are however exploring other "out patient" possibilities that I think would offer up more opportunities for folks to help out and enjoy this great experience. Very much like my Peace Corps service I'm not convinced that I'm not the one getting the greatest benefit from this experience.