Washington State Steelhead License Plate Planned

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Jason Decker, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Jason Decker Active Member

Issaquah, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Fishing Regulations [fishregs@DFW.WA.GOV]
    Re: Fwd: special plates

Dear Mr. Decker,

Thank you for your email correspondence to the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) Fish Program.

WDFW Fish Program is preparing to develop a proposal for submission to Department of Licensing to establish a specialized license plate for steelhead.

RCW 46.16.725, which is the statute providing the Special License Plate Review Board its powers, was amended by the 2005 Legislature to place a temporary moratorium on the issuance of any additional plates until June 1, 2007. During this period of time, the Special License Plate Review Board created in RCW 46.16.705 and the Department of Licensing are prohibited from accepting, reviewing, processing, or approving any applications. The Legislature did this because of the large number of plates being applied for. This will provide time to assess the effects and impact of the proliferation of the special license plates.

Given these timeframes, the Department of Fish and Wildlife is planning to have a proposal ready for consideration by the Special License Review Board and the Department of Licensing in preparation for submittal to the 2008 Legislature. If this license plate is approved by the 2008 Legislature, it likely would become available January 2009.

Thank you for your interest and support.

Please make sure you check for emergency rule changes before you harvest as follows:

Fishing Rule Change Hotline at (360) 902-2500
    Shellfish Rule Change Hotline at 1-866-880-5431
    Or, try our new searchable emergency rule link off our website at: https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/index.jsp

Additionally, for shellfish, make sure to call the Dept. of Health Marine Toxins PSP Hotline at 1-800-562-5632.

If you have further questions, please email again or call (360) 902-2700. Our Customer Service hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Sincerely,
    Fish Program
  2. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +646 / 0
    Duh! About time.:rofl:

I want one.
  3. gt Active Member

sequim, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    i'll sign up when they come out for sure.
  4. Jason Decker Active Member

Issaquah, WA
    since it is going to take the forever and a day to get those plates on our cars, do you think we should push them to do trout & salmon as a complete series? if so, rainbow & cutthroat?

j
  5. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +646 / 0
    I have a better idea; lets all give the money we would have paid for those plates to the Wild Steelhead Coalition instead! :thumb:
  6. Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Snohomish, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I don't know jack about special license plates, but always assumed these special plates go towards non-profit orgs. So if my assumption is correct, where would the extra money for those steelhead plates go towards?
  7. Jason Decker Active Member

Issaquah, WA
    maybe WSC can work on the plate?