Washington we have a problem ( wolf attack )

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Tom O'Riley, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +763 / 2
    I don't believe it. This smells of fabrication. I'll change my mind only if a reputable and truly neutral third party (press report, WDFW, etc.) corroborates the story.
  2. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +316 / 1
    There are hunting seasons on wolves in Idaho, in several management areas, so a pic like that would not be hard to come by.
  3. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +497 / 2
    That may be true. However, I'm not enough of a ballistics expert or handgun hunter to know. Thus, I wouldn't have commented at all if that was what Derek had brought up in the first place. Instead, his post had an issue with the words "charged" and "attacked", which is what my response was about. If a wolf charged at me at close range, I would consider the wolf to be attacking me. That's all I said. I made no statement about the truthfulness of the whole story.
  4. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,657 / 0
    I wish people here would use the spell checker. Some of these words are kind of hard to decipher.

On the other hand, most Wolfs don't usually attack humans unless there is something wrong with the animal. That one doesn't look like there was to many things wrong with it.
  5. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +597 / 0
    Hmm. Makes me think of shakethatbear.
  6. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Dun spellchecked.
  7. JS Active Member

Ratings: +41 / 0
    Right? I have seen the entry/exit of a .44 mag before......and especially a dome shot.....seems like part of that dogs cap should be dangling from it's head.
  8. headstrong1 youngish old guy

Cashmere
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Maybe the media hasn't reported it because the "facts" are murky to say the least. It is a well known fact that most dyed in the wool Idahoan elk hunters resent the wolves tremendously and have been praying for an attack on humans to justify a legal route to extermination.
  9. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    I thought the same thing.
  10. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +847 / 1
    There's quite a difference between being "attacked" by a wild animal, and being "charged" by one. Being no expert on wolf behavior, one could assume that an animal that close had intent. However, not seeing a scratch on that woman, and a very clean kill, IMHO, this is just anti-wolf propaganda strung along to get just these type of responses.

And what fun would it be if I just got to my point, Josh? :thumb:
  11. Ryan Havelka New Member

seattle,wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I wish people would use the grammar checker as well.
  12. rockthief Fly fishing = food for my soul

Brownsville Oregon
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    kill all of those danged wolves, bear and coyotes as well. They are nothing but trouble. Sigh...
  13. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    + 1....million
  14. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,657 / 0
    Here in Montana, A guy got a ticket for shooting a Grizzly bear. The bear was attacking his hunting buddy. But the game department said it was still against the law. But in the process of shooting the bear he also killed his buddy.

The moral here is to just let the bear kill his friend. And let the bear go.
  15. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,751 / 0
    Jezzus the correctness police are all over this thread. I think she shot the wolf then made up the story about it charging.
  16. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    I think Grandma's kinda hot. Want to see more pics of her.
  17. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +138 / 0
    Old Man you got the story all twisted. The guy was hunting black bear. He shot a grizzly, and watched it walk into the brush, waited the appropriate amount of time for a kill shot and when they approached, the bear attacked his buddy, The bear was wounded. he then shot his buddy whilst trying to finish the bear off that he illegally shot. and its also an endangered species, and they were in a grizzly bear recovery area. I dont know much about bears, but If I was a black bear, I wouldnt hang out where there are prlly some grizzleys around
  18. Tom O'Riley Member

Snohomish
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Again this incedent happened in N. ID and was picked up and confirmed by the local press http://www.nbcmontana.com/news/29401178/detail.html . It was posted here to highlight the fact that we have these critters localy now and should be aware that they could be in the same drainages your fishing so please be aware and use caution.
  19. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +232 / 3
    Article also states she had a valid wolf tag. She was probably bow hunting, stumbled upon said wolf, shot it, then made up the whole story about being charged. That being said, not sure what this has to do with fishing in Washington.
  20. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    Washington does indeed have problem you should be concerned with while fishing. It would be tweekers, not wolves.