Washington we have a problem ( wolf attack )

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Tom O'Riley, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +220 / 1
    Leave it to a Scotsman to be up on his animal husbandry....................
  2. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Ratings: +164 / 0

Oh, and I in no way meant to suggest that W siders harbored homo-erotic fantasies about wolves in my post. :cool:Sorry for any misunderstanding
  3. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +641 / 0
    Other than the hole in it's head it appears to be a fine specimen .
  4. koolminx Member

Gorst, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Shit you think it scarred YOU? My damn SON is a Furry Freak along with his HIDEOUSLY FUGLY girlfriend. I have to be the most lenient sun of a biach in the damn Country to put up with it and not kill myself.
  5. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +597 / 0
    Kill the girlfriend. Otherwise, someday you're going to walk in and see this:

View attachment 44807
  6. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Ratings: +111 / 0
    Flyborg, I hope my laptop is still working when it dries out from the coffee I just spewed all over it. That's some sick stuff!
  7. Jim Kerr Active Member

Forks Wa
    Ratings: +138 / 0
    Guy's,
    You need to be serious about this. You realize that in the last 200 years there have been possibly as many as 2 fatal wolf attacks on people in North America. That makes wolves twice as dangerous as horses in Enumclaw.
  8. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +595 / 0
    That's a pretty strange wolf...spent a bit of time out in the sticks of Alaska (and ya know, they got a lot of those critters) and have been up close and personal with a few wild wolves there and never felt the least bit threatened....those wolves just wanted to vamoose outta there. And you don't hear anything about wolf attacks on humans in Alaska or BC.

Maybe this was just a sick wolf (rabies?). Just sayin.
  9. Jerry White Member

City, State
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    yeah... or maybe a sick piece of anti-wolf propaganda. Idaho absolutely hates their wolves.
  10. SteveA Gnu to the board

Western WA
    Ratings: +32 / 0
    But I read it on the internet. It HAS to be true!
  11. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +597 / 0
    [IMG]
  12. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +314 / 1
    I really don't want to wade into this morass but in most parts of Ak there is still a lot of habitat, and perhaps enough hunters to keep the population down or in some form of balance. I'm not a hunter, nor am I needlessly afraid of wolves, cougars or bears. One thing I think I know though is that here in the lower 48, with dwindling habitat and increasing layers of hunting restrictions, some animals (cougars certainly) are living to an older age. As they become more decrepit they will naturally set their sights lower and sometimes aim at slower moving two legged critters and/or their pets or livestock.
    However, this wolf at least looked pretty healthy and the story doesn't pass the sniff test.
  13. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +595 / 0
    As Edward Abbey once said, "It ain't wilderness unless there's a critter out there that will can kill ya".

Maybe we're just getting some wilderness back, stateside. It's not like we're running short on people, so to speak.
  14. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Ratings: +164 / 0
    Wolves... Man's second best friend

This dog probably had rickets or diabetes because we all know wolves will only attack the sick and disabled. Nature's Dr. Kevorkian
  15. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,725 / 0
    That sort of looks like the work of coyotes. I have seen a few dogs in my area that were lured out by yotes and they looked just like your pic. Them yotes are smart little bastards. I have had to break up a couple of confrontations between them and my newf. The yotes quit coming around after a few of them experienced the sting of my .410. Don't know if they thought they could take a 195 lb. dog or not but they quickly learned once I entered the fray the odds were against them.
  16. Jerry White Member

City, State
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    True dat. The coyote will be here long after humans have tripped and fallen over their own cleverness... and exited the landascape stage right.
  17. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    You are joking right? Wolves do not only kill the sick and afflicted. Biggest bunch of urban myth crap out there. They need to kill and get rid of the wolves....Never should have been reintroduced.

http://www.saveelk.com/wolf_002.htm
  18. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,725 / 0
    Could the so called indiscriminate killing actually be part of the plan? Do you think the animals that were killed by these wolves went to waste? I noticed that most of the kills took place in the winter time. How many other animals benefited from the wolves’ kill and were able to survive a harsh winter? Some push their views of nature on the rest without thinking about what is actually going on. Nature can be brutal, get used to it and accept it.
  19. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    It can be brutal... but the wolves are a problem... Idaho has issued a state of emergency on them. Way tooo many damn wolves. Very similar to the sea lion problem. Wolves are killing for sport, not for food, and the elk population has been reduced by as much as 40%. Now the other surrounding states are getting involved. Much more than a little problem Kerry. Read up on it, and then we will talk.
  20. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +396 / 0
    Yes, it has been well documented. Not only that, but there is an important fact that has been lost on those that are all "go mother nature". The wolves that once roamed here were a different breed that has been reintroduced. The wolf that has been reintroduced is one and a half times larger than what was here years ago. I believe it is a descendant of the Canadian wolf.

That being said, they are going to target larger animals than those that were here, in higher numbers. Simply put, the kill rate will be higher. Look at the drop off of the elk herds. Where's the "go mother nature" in that? In light of that, the "balance" of power (for a lack of better words) will be tilted in their direction, unless the states issue more hunting tags for them.

The fact is, when ever we play "God"...we always seem to screw things up. If we are so anxious to bring the wolf back, bring back a wolf that isn't going to cause so many problems. Sure, any introduction of any wolf is naturally going to create issues. But when we bring in one that is so large and dominant, the problems will reflect that decision.