Washingtonion's are getting a bad rap!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by tediousthumper, May 24, 2011.

1. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    Washitonion's are getting a bad rap!

Living in Kalispel for a year is a found memory.

Side-hill salmon (sheep)

Running a tab at a bar in Whitefish and
    paying it when my UE check came in.

Driving way to fast with no speed limits.

Having someone pull a 38 at the bar on the guy sitting
    next to me saying something about you is
    messin with my old lady.

And the fishing. If I could find away to do it
    I'd be there now.

Do they dislike assholes?
    Everyone does.

2. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

I got that a bit in the late 80's. I'd even spend money in their shops - get bad info.

I figured it out one year and every year after..... Wherever they would tell me where to fish, I'd go in the opposite direction and be very successful.

Well there's that, but personally I think they're just jealous because we pay more taxes. :beathead:

3. James Harrington

James Harrington Active Member

I was born in Austin, TX but my family moved to western Washington when I was three weeks old. When I was 10 my family moved back to Dallas. I spent 16 yrs there and then four more in the Austin area. Then I moved back here because I still think of this place as home. Are people a little less overtly friendly when you don't know them up here? Yes. Are they rude or cold? Not really.

And yes, there are a bunch of Texans that still wish Texas was its own country. They mainly live in rural areas. One thing that still cracks me up about Texas, is that is probably the only state where the state flag can become almost any article of clothing. Shirts, hats, hell wristbands, bandanas. That shit is so ridiculous to me. I really do love Austin and I think the Gulf Coast is badass. Lots of really good fishing all throughout the state.

But I came back here because I wanted to live in a state where the mountains fall into the sea and there are temperate rain forests on one side. In the middle there's a mountain range that is rugged as hell and has the second tallest peak in the lower 48, and on the other side is a dry, desert, plains like region.

Texas also has a vast diversity of geographic regions. Actually it probably has the most. East Texas piney woods and swamp like area, blackland prairie from Dallas and along the I-35 corridor, the Hill Country of Central texas, the great plains all up through the panhandle, ocean and beaches and inland bays along the Gulf, and the Big Bend mountains out far West.

Up here when I tell a lot of people I'm from Texas, I know they think we ride horses everywhere. Down there when I tell people I grew up in Washington they think flannel, lumberjack type shit, or sailor type shit.

Truth is, I like both. When I go to Montana to fish for the first time should I tell them I'm from Washington or Texas?

4. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:

Man. Where I fish, "a bit more space" is usually a few feet greater than the length of your rod. And we like it that way. I've got a sticker on my handle that says, "if you can read this, best pray I don't rip my fucking anchor".

5. Benjy

Benjy Active Member

Media:

Fellow guide? Where are you working?

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

There is nothing wrong with people here in Montana. Yeah, I've met Mumbles. He could leave you wanting.

I was out on the Beaverhead last Saturday. Talk about being crowded, shit there wasn't no more than 50 feet between anglers. If I can get out and there is two people on the river I will leave and find me a place with no people. It is easy as there is so much skinny water with fish in them.

And as for Speed limits. They have them here. It's just because you all from Washington don't think so. If you are speeding you will get caught sooner or later.

7. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

I've never thought of "bitterroot" as "delightful", but kinda think a tattoo of your state's border on your neck means "graduate of the State Penitentiary".

8. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:

I've lived out here for 2 years, guided for 4 and have never experienced any of that, in fact quite the opposite. Not to mention, start asking those giving you grief where they are from, I'd be amazed if many of them were actually from MT. Besides, if I remember right you're over in missoula, and over here east of the divide we think you're the assholes :)!

9. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:

When I travel to Montana to visit family and hunt birds my experience has always been positive in terms of interacting with the locals. There have been times when there that I met some people from Washington that were just real assholes. I was embarrassed and irritated with their behavior. There was another group that got thrown of my cousin's ranch for trespassing but it wasn't their fault, they were using a Montanan as their guide. Assholes have no state boundaries, you can find them everywhere you travel. The secret is not being the asshole. As for Texans, I was in Canada sitting by a campfire at night with our guides, plus two Californians, and a Texan. The wolves were howling a few hundred yards from camp, my first and only experience with wolves. What a wonderful, erie sound once we got the Texan to shut his mouth. It wasn't that he was Texan, he was just a loud, obnoxious guy who didn't get it. Besides, if there had been a back door to the Alamo, Texans would all be speaking ...(Just kidding). Go Sooners.

10. Radway

Radway Member

Sorry to read a fly shop is diss'ing anyone! At the flyshop I work at in Whitefish we appreciate everyone. It's not just because of these difficult economic times, we're just nice guys and passionate about our job. Many times folks come in just for a few tips and head out, but, we've found these same folks return when they do need something because they remember us for our kind treatment. Business the way it should be in my honest opinion.

Cheers,

Radway

Lakestream

11. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:

People fact #1:
    If people have 10 experiences, and one of them is bad, the bad is what gets remembered.

People fact #2
    No matter where you live, people from somewhere else are assholes.

12. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:

without a doubt washington.

13. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:

since when is it a requirement to purchase something from a shop?

i get that it's a good idea... but to get pissy about someone getting info and not spending any money seems silly for a fly shop, since it happens every day from people living in all states. tell your friendly shop owner that those people may come back later if they drop the f'ing entitled attitude.

just remember that if they came prepared they probably bought from a local shop here in WA that we always are telling them to support. the fact is that many of our "big city" fly shops here in WA are far superior than any destination shop imo and may have staff who have spent more time fishing in MT, WY than the 1st year "guide" behind the counter in a destination shop.

14. Builder

Builder Member

I fish Rock Creek quite a bit, usually from less then accessible pull offs in the woods and mostly weekdays. If you see my rig I would appreciate 2 miles between us and think this is doable at all but the busiest times of the year. I know two miles sounds like a lot...but it is doable. At the campgrounds and the Valley of the Moon I'd expect some good company , sharing some laughs and trading tips and techniques.

15. Tony the Trout

Tony the Trout Member

As Washatonians we should all be A-holes when we travel out of state. Perhaps that will keep out-of-staters away from here. :)

16. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Washingtonian, Russian and Californian meet at camp on the Hoh, start one upping each other.

Russian pops the cork on a bottle of Stoly, passes it around for one slug each, then tosses it in the air and shoots it with a Kalashnikov. Others guys ask what the??
    Russian: In Roosha, we have more vodka than we know what to do with!"

Californian then breaks out a chilled bottle of Pinot Grigio, passes it around once, then nails it with a shiny little nickel plated revolver and brags " In California, we have more fine wines than we know what to do with."

The Washingtonian reaches into his vest, and removes a warm can of Rainier, and chugs the whole thing himself, drops it in the recycling bin, then pulls out a rusty Saturday night special and shoots the Californian dead. The shocked Russian gapes wordlessly at the corpse and then turns to the Washingtonian, who replies: "In Washington, we have more Californians than we know what to do with!"

I couldn't figure out how to change the Californian to a Montanan.

17. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

See you in September............

18. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

If you bring wine make sure it's "not a fucking Merlot".

By the way, that's just a line from a movie, I personally like Merlot, and the story is just a joke, son. In over 40 years in Washington and Oregon, I have never found cause to shoot a Californian.

19. Rocket Red

Rocket Red Vegetarian Cannibal

I have only been to Montana 3x. The third trip left the biggest impact on me (regarding the people), I was 15 years old. My friend and I had spent a nice day fishing in a beautiful stream near Dillon. Then his cousin came to pick us up and bring us home for dinner. She was 18 and IMO pretty hot (at first). She took us to her friends house where we watched them snort coke and oxy, and drink a bottle of Black Velvet. She threw me the keys (and I had never drove more than a lawn tractor or jet boat) to take her to the family barbecue. Which was about 20 miles away on the freeway.

Shellshocked, I just held the keys and she grabbed them from me and said "Lets go". She staggered into the car, and for some reason my bud and I got in. She made it to the freeway where she set the cruise control at 70, laid the seat back and started steering with her feet. We were screaming for her to stop and finally she sat up and told us to stop freaking out, and drove the car into the ditch. Luckil,y we hit it at less than 30 mph so the impact was pretty minimal. Then some farmhand in a single cab F250 stopped and took us the rest of the way to the party. She didn't come with us, as she and the farmhand went to get the car, and probably do more drugs and screw.

So, since then I have been under the impression that all Montanan's are bad drivers and likely drug addicts.

20. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

They tried a program in Montana to find out why so many pickup trucks were involved in fatal accidents. They stopped installing the black boxes because the last words were always, "Here! Hold my beer and watch this!"

I should probably stop now.