NFR WASPS in January?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dave Boyle, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Dave Boyle

Dave Boyle Active Member

Happy New Year to All WFF'ers,

Given the majority of us in are in the doldrums of sorts right now, I thought I'd share an odd (and painful) experience I had the other night. I was stung by a wasp. Not a big deal really except it's January and the classic was I was hanging outin my living room and drinking from a tumbler of water that I'd already used, refilled with no wasp apparent then ...I took a sip and suddenly I was like WTF? My upper lip is burning/NO STINGING! I spat a mouthful of water all over the couch/floor wondering what the hell was going on and YOW!! my lip was EN FUEGO!

There was a yellowjacket lying in the splatter, my mid-upper lip had a little red dot of blood where it'd done the job (in it's own good time little fecker) and within a few minutes I'd a 'blob' as it swelled up. My wife and kids had a blast laughing about it all, I saw the funny side too as it was so bizarre but I got the fright of my life at the time. I've been stung before so no biggie there but never in Winter and never when relaxed in the house. Anyway, one less wasp but anyone else been stung in the middle ofwinter, sitting on the couch (I've really no idea how it got into my glass)?

My current remedy is to add ~95% 15 yr old Balvenie, it must work as it hasn't happened again. Once stung, twice shy or something, a smart man's got to take precautions after all. Anyone top this bit of trivia while the balls get frozen off the brass monkeys?

Dave

2. Stings normally follow with swearing then pendleton

3. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Do you have a fireplace or wood burning stove? I used to get hibernating wasps in my woodpile, and occasionally I'd bring one in with the firewood. It would then come out of hibernation after it warmed up a bit.
    Maybe the one that stung you was thirsty.

cabezon likes this.
  4. jimmydub

jimmydub Active Member

I've seen this same sort of thing, but definitely weird to get stung in January! It's a good thing you're not allergic.

5. Dave Boyle

Dave Boyle Active Member

Very good point Jim,

We've had a few fires on recently so woods been swinging in and around from outside, so perhaps it came in that way. Still it's a good 10 ft across a hardwood followed by up a table and across and up and into the glass but I'm not being snotty here, the need to survive is huge and it could have occured over a a day or two. Who knows, I wasn't certainly wasn't thinking about bugs in my water.

Cheers,

dave

6. Taxon

Taxon Moderator Staff Member

Hi Dave-

Had you put any ice cubes in the water tumbler?

7. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Wasps overwinter wherever a good opportunity affords itself. As stated, likely this one was snuggled in something that came indoors & the warmth took care of the rest. They do awaken thirsty. Years a go, a friend found a Bald Faced Hornet nest during the late Fall/early Winter. I advised him to fumigate it & leave it in a bag for a few months until he was assured there were no live wasps present. He didn't; he put it in a bag in his shop for a week, then mounted the nest & limb in his cabin. Went for a snowmobile ride & came back to a cabin full of new buzzing occupants.

8. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Current therapy recommended by the Scottish College of Physicians and Surgeons for hymenoptera inflicted wounds is three fingers of Laphroig 12+years and/or three fingers of Talsiker 10+ years. Mind you this is the same therapy for stroke, seizure, teething, labor, colic, menstrual cramps, back pain or psychological trauma due to Glaswegian lowland relatives outstaying their welcome. Study was sponsored by the Scottish Separatist's Health Task Force whose motto remains "Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion"

9. PfleugerPhister

PfleugerPhister Active Member

I had a couple of them laying on the smoker while doing some fish last week. Not sure if it was the heat or the sweet that brought them out. Don't know where the heck they came from, but they didn't like it when I trapped them with a can on top of the smoker for a few hours.

10. Brad Niemeyer

Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    The queen over winters in any warm crack she can find. The foot soldiers die off every fall. I've chased a few queens out of our garage and I just ran into one while mending the fence. This time of year they are sluggish, but given a warm room they can wake up. They are slightly bigger and their sting is more powerful than the regular variety yellow jacket. The queen finds a good spot and starts laying eggs to form a new nest in the spring.

Attached Files:

11. HuskyKMA

HuskyKMA New Member

My parents said they had a yellowjacket in their house the other day, and they have a wood burning stove. Makes sense now.