Watching the blackberries grow and waiting...

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Roper, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Every morning I walk my dog and we pass a row of blackberry bushes that are in full flower bloom. It's a signal to me that summer is here and the berries aren't far off, which means the upland season will be starting. This time of year as the lake fishing tapers off when the water warms up, my thoughts wander to the uplands. In particular, the pursuit of forest grouse.

As we continue our morning walk I dream about that first trek into the woods, the smells, the cool morning air, the sun peaking through the fir trees. In a mere 8 weeks I'll be tramping around old familiar coverts waiting for that first explosion of wings, the smell of burnt powder, and hopefully that bit of weight in my vest.

It's been a cool and wet spring in the Okanogan this year. I'm hoping the hatch wasn't impacted too much by the weather. I'm thinking that the coverts will be thick with growth from the rains and will make the hunt that more challenging.

Until the first of September, Sasha and I will walk each morning, I'll watch the blackberries grow and wait...

2. Loren Jensen

Loren Jensen Active Member

I've always hunted Foresters during the Fall months..is it different on the dry side?

3. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    Couldn't agree with you more Roper! Ever since I took my first ONF grouse two seasons ago (along with my turkey) I find myself adding up the days till 9/1 and 4/15 ritually. They have become my personal autumnal and spring equinox.

I've got my 'work out' scheduled for Libby and I to build more stamina/pad toughening for her and a little weight reduction for myself. Purchased new canvas dummies to get her nose 'tuned up'.

51-days - lace up the boots, hear that wonderful clank of my 11-48 action closing, the smell of fir in dry heat...

This year for sure Sasha and Libby need to meet up!

BTW - working on some Nice shot #7 for this year...nice to work with non toxic shot that doesn't require a completely different recipe than a typical lead round (mylar wrap, shot weighing, etc.)!

4. ribka

ribka Active Member

I ran into three grouse and their young this past weekend while hiking. The chicks were about the size of tennis balls and looked healthy.

I counted groups of 4, 8, 5 . Could have been more hiding. Hope it is a good year. Season is not far off

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Roper, I'm not a bird hunter, but reading your well crafted post makes me want to be along for those walks. Hope you have a good upland bird season too.

6. ganglyangler

ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

Media:
    Was north of Spokane over the fourth and there were quail all over in the valleys. Hope that translates to the grouse as well. I am cautiously optimistic it will be good. Got the pup in good shape and just need to get out hiking so I can follow her around come opening day. Also trying to get her the rattlesnake vaccine... been lucky so far.