'water Alerts' From The Usgs River Gauges.

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by fredaevans, Mar 17, 2012.

1. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/wa/nwis/uv/?station=12041200

Just for Jollies I put up the gauge info for the Hoh River. Just a random choice, no more. But almost all streams (of any size) and rivers will have one or more of these flow gauges going. Excellent resourse covering if I go fishing, what could I expect to find 'Boots on the Ground.'

Been using these (Rogue River) for years as many not only tell you the 'flow' but may well have a turbidity read out which tells you what to expect in the way of water clarity. You can have your rod rigged and ready to go as soon as you're bank side.

That aside, what I just figured out is USGS also a an 'automated' e-mail/iPhone system where they will advise you of changing (to a degree) set of perimeters. If you pull up the link above and scroll down to the bottom (lower right) you'll see a 'click here' box that takes you to the automated system for this gauge. Fill in the required info (including the flow max you want) and you're set. Not a big deal if a river is falling, but it could be a 'big deal' if the river is on its way 'out.'

2. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

For the iPhone there is an app called RiverReader that uses the USGS info for flows.

3. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    I also like the FishHead app for the iphone. I use it all the time! It also has tides too which is nice.