Water flows on the Cowlitz.

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by fredaevans, Aug 21, 2006.

1. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

First fishing trip there in 20++ years scheduled for the end of this week. Have zip info on what weight rods/lines would be appropriate for current conditions.

Suggestions? (We'll be doing a float so not 'confined' to just one bit of beach.)

2. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    Try contacting Steve Buckner on the site...he should be able to set ya straight for the conditions down there...

:cool:

3. Skilly

Skilly Member

Fred

Water flow is 2900. Thats low and clear. Bring a rod that will cover water comfortably. Maybe your 13'6" 7/8 Meiser. If you have one of Meisers 15' 7/8/9s bring it !!! I only fish a XLT floater this time of the year, but I see some fishing skagit set ups.

My son from Marysville is down so we will be fishing it tomorrow through Thursday. I will send my phone # by email incase you want to call.

Skilly

4. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

VERY COOL! Got your PM and my cell number is 541 944 0404!
    Fred

5. Steve Buckner

Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

Media:
    Home Page:
    Fred,
    Sounds like we may be floating down the river together. Zen and SteelieMike are heading to my house tomorrow evening. For lines, I'd recommend a multi-tip line, there will be sections that you'll want to fish deep, others that you'll want to fish nearer the surface. I'd say that a 14 or 15 foot 7 weight would be about right. For flies, I'd suggest size #2, #4's, although you might go somewhat bigger in the deeper runs.

The weekend was extremely busy with lots of traffic, which is somewhat unusual for this time of year. Generally speaking, much of the traffic on the Cowlitz leaves to start targeting salmon down on the Columbia at Bouy 10. I suspect with the gas prices the way they are, many are shortening their drive and fishing the Cow. Mid-week should offer much less pressure. Fish counts are good, should be able to pick something up if you're diligent.

Hope to meet you in a few days!
    sb

6. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

MANY THANKS for all the info fellows; also (per tel-cons) appears, as Henry Ford would say: "you can choose any colour you want as long as it's black" :ray1: for a choice in flys.

Fred