Water Master Report

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Gregg Lundgren, May 13, 2010.

1. Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

N. Edmonds / Mukilteo, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    I took the new Water Master to Serene Lake today never having used a tube or kick boat before. The lake is less than two miles from our house, which is comforting when you don't yet have an established packing routine. Didn't get skunked on the maiden voyage, so we are off to a good start anyway.

Pros:
    remembered everything
    boat set-up and performed well, the LVM and K-200 pumps are champs
    caught some fish, including a 12" rainbow that was a non-stop jumper (must have gone airborne 20 times)
    on the water from 8:30 until 2:30
    my legs don't ache, figured I might get leg cramps or something
    my back does not feel fatigued, the seating position works well for me
    seat and back shelf storage is high and dry for lake fishing, more so than I anticipated
    I did not take an additional seat pad, and so far one does not seem necessary

Cons:
    finning was not as productive, propulsion-wise, as I expected (however I lack experience); into the breeze = oars

Comical:
    me in fins, both going in and out, using the concrete block boat ramp

This rookie is open to comments and questions. Always looking to learn something the easy way - thru advice, rather than taking on the school of hard knocks.
  2. Stewart Skunk Happens

Spokane
    Ratings: +48 / 0
    Pardon me if I misunderstood... Put the fins on in the water, take them off before you get out. No walking in fins.:beer1:
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,469 / 9
    Sounds awesome to me. You have an impression of propulsion, seat, storage, rowing and not trying to walk in your kick fins. On top of that you were into fish, close to home, not a bad day at the office, no?
  4. Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

WA
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    So glad to hear you had a good time, & got the first fish hurdle done! Are you using the WM boot fins? My Force Fins propel me much better in lakes but I found the boot fins maneuver well enough in rivers (I had mine upgraded to felt with studs) for a lot of good hands-free drifting/fishing including ferrying out of the current for landing fish.
  5. Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Told you I was a rookie! lol Actually it was only a dozen steps to the water. Perhaps not as bad as the picture I painted? Taking the fins on and off in the water does make more sense.:eek:
  6. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,469 / 9
    With teathers so that if you drop a fin that does not float it does not sink to the bottom forever!
  7. Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

I am using the WM boot fins, and they float, so recovery is not an issue, at least not in a lake. Not sure if my finning technique is to blame, but the propulsion doesn't seem to be that effective. Seems like using more energy on the upward kick stroke helped some. Not sure if the angle of the legs entering the water made much difference, perhaps deeper was bettter. Changing direction required some experimentation, particularly in a cross wind. Sure would be open to some tips on any of the above!
  8. Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

WA
    Don't really know how the boot fins work in stillwater; I've always used Force Fins with the WFF loaner and my Kodiak. The WM fin does have the same V design that Force claims "channels the water by having it flow off the ends and not the sides of the blade, putting more energy into forward propulsion", but the (WM) boot fin surface is also shorter and not as flexible. At any rate my Force Fins do propel me faster on stillwater but I'm not going to wear them in a river. The WM fins are fairly effective for maneuvering in current though. I'm no expert but discovered some things that seemed to work during the week I used the WFF loaner Kodiak on rivers and lakes. Dave Inks has some tips on How To Fish in a Kickboat you might find useful at his Water Strider site.

So when are we going fishing?
  9. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    First off, great report! Secondly...WALK BACKWARDS. A hard habit to get into, but much easier then trying to put on and take off IN the water.
    Nice things about the Force Fins. I can walk forward AND up hill to boot.
    I agree they are the Fin of all fins. I do wear the regular flat bottom, two straps across the top Tube Fins on my Pontoon as I stand on the platform allot and the nubbies on the bottom of the FF mixed with wet diamond plate aluminum gets a tad slippery.
    I do plan on putting a skid strip on my deck though.
    In a pontoon with oars, I can get by with a lesser fin, don't you all agree?
  10. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,226 / 0
    As a suggestion, it's easier to put your fins on in the shallows at water's edge (ie. no more than 2-3 inches deep) than in deeper water. It's also easier if you have your WM or float tube ready to launch with rods strung up so that once your fins are on, all you need to do is walk the boat backwards into the water until its deep enough to sit down and start kicking. Just reverse the process when pulling out. Yes, walking backwards while wearing fins is much easier and safer, but it's even better not to have to walk at all if you can possibly avoid it. A little pre-planning can help eliminate an embarrassing or painful fall or an unintended swim.

K
  11. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    And KENT, you know this how?....LOL

Somethings just have to come from experiencing them ;-)
  12. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,226 / 0
    How do I know? From firsthand personal experience of course!

About ten years ago I was following a friend as we were pulling out after a day on a lake. As my fins found the bottom, I stood up and tried to walk forward when one fin caught on the other and I ended up going right over the front of my old round float tube (they weren't called the 'Donuts of Death' for nothing!) and doing a face plant in about 2 feet of water. I didn't go completely under but might as well have considering how wet I was. I thought my friend was gonna piss himself he was laughing so hard! Good thing he didn't have a video camera or it would've made YouTube for sure!

It only takes one experience like that to make a believer out of you.

K
  13. Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Well, by putting my ignorance on display, and receiving great advice by forum members... I intend to avoid that experience! I understand how that could happen Kent.

One issue that made walking backwards counter-intuitive was the fact the boat launch was the only access to the water. It is comprised of those 10" wide concrete slabs connected by re-bar with about an equal space in between. Makes you want to see where you are stepping.

Great advice! I will use it. Makes total sense. I did have my rod all strung-up though.:thumb: btw... the rod holder that comes with the WM package was a light weight, very simple design. Still it was quite effective, and didn't slip at all using the single strap around the tube.
  14. sportsman Active Member

Kirkland, wa., 98034.
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    Hi Gregg! Great to hear that the " Double Skunk" is gone": you got it wet and slimy! Now it's time to turn it from a floating platform into a fishing machine. Remember that it's supposed to be fun and not a job. How you make that transition is up to you and how your going to be using the raft. You got a lot of great advice from different members on what they did....and some from me. You have around 12 D-rings on the raft....time to put them to use! Fred Meyer sells those 'carbiniers'[single snaps] for $2.00, buy 6 to begin with and now you can secure your fins, fish net, dry bags or whatever you need to float your boat! Sending you a PM for a nice little spot just north of both of us, let's hook up midweek, we'll have it to ourselves[ bring all you new WM buddies!!] I'll bring my Force Fins for you to try out to see if you like them. Fred.
  15. Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

WA
    I'm with Kent. And sitting down in the boat makes it easier to bend over to get them on. My original (read the first) Force Fins are not the new adjustables and fit is snug so I really appreciate that. Also concrete boat ramps get REAL slimy when the water heats up so I avoid them and would rather use some sort of bank access. Walking in water is best done backwards, and if you are in the boat, you have handrails and a seat should you slip.

My Outcast boot fins (without felt & studs) have some nice sewn on tethers with quick side release buckles that I'm going to move over to the WM fins.

Propulsion is mainly limited to kicking up, as in doing leg extensions (really works the quads if you're motivatin') but I have noticed I can offset a slight breeze in frog water that would otherwise push me backwards by "walking" as if on my tiptoes. I'm sure you noticed that using "english" on your kicks will help your turns.
  16. Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

WA
    BTW, I did the Thermarest with velcro thing we talked about.

A few weeks ago I had grown tired of the ineffective ripple foam that was velcroed in the "shelf" pockets of my fishing vest and decided I wanted to use small fly boxes with slit foam instead but was concerned that the fly boxes might slip off the "shelf" when the pockets were opened. I also wanted to be able to velcro the same (or other) fly boxes onto the "shelf" pockets of my Extrasport Sturgeon PFD fishing vest. I brushed on a coat of Pliobond in strips on the fly boxes and inside the Sturgeon vest pockets and stuck 3" strips of 1" adhesive-backed velcro into the Pliobond; hooks on the fly boxes and loops on the vest. It feels like the velcro loops are sewed into the vest. The adhesive is holding better than the velcro does so the velcro is staying put.

So back to the seat pad... I found the 16"x13"x1.5" Thermarest Trail Seat model at Sportco for $15. I used Pliobond to glue 3 - 8" strips of velcro adhesive-backed hooks onto the pad and loops onto the WM seat. I made a small hole in the bonded corner on the seam of the pad to pull some cord through that I can clip to the seat strap D ring for a fail safe. Haven't float-tested it yet but I think it's going to hold fine.
  17. Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Hey Fred, I may be describing all of this as if it is a job, but I'm having a blast! My attempts to gain knowledge, make adjustments and mods, is just my meager attempt to simply begin moving in the right direction. (Now Mumbles on the other hand is moving like a freight train) But honestly, I don't believe the quest ever ends. Nice to take a few others along for the ride, just as you and others have been so kind in sharing your information and experience. But there should be no doubt, I enjoy the fishing most of all.

Ah! Carabiners, yes I had already picked up (4) regular, and one Figure 9 rope tightener for the anchor line. My small dry bag has a d-ring, so that's were one went already. My magnetic break-away net attachment came with a carabiner. Both attach to d-rings near the back deck. I have (3) carabiners in my chest pack in reserve. You know I'll use every one of them soon.

Haven't received that PM yet. I'm all about doing some fishing, and will take you up on the offer to try the Force Fins. Maybe Brian (or others) could get up this way and join us.
  18. Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Brian, I want to know how this tests-out. I have all the materials ready. Did you feel that adding more cushion would be an improvement? The highback soft seats that we upgraded to, seemed very comfortable to me during my six hour maiden voyage. Perhaps the seat will compress over time, then I'll make a similar modification.

"When do we go fishing?" Well, your in Pierce County, I'm in Snohomish County; so King or Kittitas Counties are likely targets. We definitely need to float the Yakima once we have some more experience using these Water Masters. Not sure we can make that before the early summer flows begin, but 2010 is a done deal. Meanwhile, we should begin planning to meet at a lake. Fred has talked up a couple in King County, maybe he would join us?
  19. sportsman Active Member

Kirkland, wa., 98034.
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    Sorry Gregg, i got caught up with dinner,walking the schnauzer and loading my gear for fishing O-Dark Thirty tomorrow. It's not any secret lake, but Cassidy splits the difference for mileage....and a guy can manage to get into some there...3 years ago a local club planted some monsters in the lake, here we were slaying the stockers and trips and for some reason started tossing some big ugly fly into the lily pads and it was just like a scene from jaws exploding in the pads, not sure if they still do that or not. If Brian was coming up, the Snake would be a good bet....75 miles round trip for me, probably another twenty for you. I'll drop you a line when I get back from thr Snake tommorow. There are a few decent lakes to try on the highlands above kent/Renton, maybe Brian is dialed into them. I'm always up for some new water. BTW I have a pretty neat REI seat and back, it really helped my back before the surgery, I'll bring it along if you want to try it out. Took a lot of pics as I was gearing up for my motor mount bracket, those will get poste tomorrow as well.
  20. Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

WA
    Despite the sometimes miserable weather I was fortunate to share a day of fishing with Greggor & sportsman on Rattlesnake Lake today. Fish were landed by all but it was meeting a couple of fellow WFF anglers that made the day great. The Thermarest Trail Seat pad is very comfy and warm and stays put with the 3 strips of velcro. The seat surface is a little slick.