Water Master Seeks Escape from Still Water

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Gregg Lundgren, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Media:
    More than a dozen lake trips, and the new Water Master is crying to get out on some moving water. River levels could be relatively tame, and I should have more than a few days of opportunity between September 7th and the 17th.

Having a hard time figuring out the shuttle thing without a regular fishing buddy, although I have an informal offer from a forum member regarding the Yak sometime in September. I have floated most of them once or twice, but not on the oars.

What should it be: the Methow, Yakima, Skykomish, or Upper Skagit?

I guess the timing is the biggest driver for both the fishing and ease of the float. My first thought is Rainbows and Cutbows on the mid-stretch of the Methow, perhaps stay a night or two between Winthrop and Twisp. I am under the impression there are not the tweekers of the Sky and Skagit infamy. I wish my mind didn't consider such things.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

2. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    You definitely couldn't go wrong with the Canyon of the Yakima. It's a very easy float. I would recommend Ringer to Roza for a nice full day float. I took my wife on that float two weeks ago and it was her first time on the oars. That ought to deflate your sense of adventure.

Word to the wise. Get there early and beat the onrush of recreational tubers.

You can get a shuttle arranged at Red's fly shop. Pretty reasonable. The fishing in the canyon is rumored to be good, but I've always had a typical lukewarm day.

3. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Water levels on the Methow are generally higher than normal this year. I've had very good fishing in the last couple weeks with at least one 18-24" fish each day with smaller ones mixed in! I would check about water levels in the September time frame. Carlton General Store is running shuttles and can give you advice on sections of the river to float. The middle section of the Methow (Carlton to lower Burma) is definitely more challenging than the Yak, but the Watermaster is a good choice as it is easy to pick up and walk through the riffles or around the difficult spots. You will love the WM on the Methow! Rick

4. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Isn't the Methow closed after August until the steelhead opener?

5. Gregg Lundgren

Media:
    Thanks for the replies so far.

Evan, (unless there are emergency rules in place)... An upper section closed August 15, a small additional lower section will close on September 15, while most of the mid section is open until September 30th. And... we are all anxiously awaiting some news regarding a Steelhead Opening.

6. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Gregg, I'd hit the Yakima Canyon a time or two and focus on boat control in moving water (more so than fishing) before you hit the Methow. Low water doesn't always translate into easier floating as some rapids get more technical at lower levels. While the Methow is not bad for experienced rowers, I'd never advise anyone to do it as a first moving water float, especially solo. See how you feel on the Yakama Canyon first then hit the Methow once you feel you can read the water and control the boat well enough. For a first Yakima float, I'd launch at Red's or below and then for a second one, I'd go higher up like Ringer to Red's or Bristol to Thorp. This should give you a good feel for the boat and help prepare you for a little tougher water. Have fun, stay safe and wear a PFD!

7. Gregg Lundgren

Media:
    Thank you for the sage advice Freestone! I am for the most part a mellow, level headed guy, except in my continuing quest to get out and learn more about fly fishing. I really like the Water Master, and while many have said that no one boat can do it all, I think it best fits the type of fishing I like to do most. So, I guess it was a good "first" pick. I never get bored with the fishing part, and it's rare if I make a commitment, not to spend at least six hours getting after it.

Regarding the PFD... I always wear one. I use an inflatable out on the lakes, and thanks to many who have posted regarding moving water, I recently purchased a Type III PFD that allows for a wide range of motion.

In closing, thanks to this community for the opportunity to learn so much over the past year. Special recognition to "sportsman" who helped speed-up the process of my incorporating Water Master "tips and tricks". And after a year, I am now able to post a few reports and tips of my own. It's all good.