Water Skeeter Chetco or Fishcat 9

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Jay C, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Jay C

Jay C Active Member

Hey guys and gals -
    I am thinking about purchasing my first toon. Does anybody have any pros/cons for these two boats? I know the fishcat has a good reputation. I was wondering if the stand/lean bar on the Water Skeeter folds down, or is removable. I plan to mostly fish lakes, but might also do the Skykomish or Cowlitz for steelies. Thanks

2. veilside180sx

veilside180sx Member

Home Page:
    If you plan on using a trolling motor, the longer waterline of the Water Skeeter will go straight easier. Spending that much, your close to getting a better boat though.

3. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    IMO, standing platforms and lean bars are overrated. On a lake, getting your fly out further is simply a matter of rowing or kicking closer to where you want to put it. The extra weight and complexity of the whole standing platform mechanism plus how the center of gravity of the boat shifts forward when you stand on it simply isn't worth it's benefit.

K

4. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    The whole concept certainly seems like a good idea, though I was not thinking of it as a casting issue, but more of a comfort issue. I have always wondered about the center of gravity issue. I was looking at doing some modifications to my pontoon this last weekend, and I was trying to figure out in my head how to do a standing platform. I guess I can bag that idea for awhile. However, I am still debating about redoing the cargo area, and Kent, I like your idea of using the Yakima cargo basket for that. However, still got to figure out how, and whether I want to spend that much, etc. Once the weather warms, I find myself just as happy in my float tube - especially since I got the Outcast Discovery Trekker. Just can't move quite as fast without the oars, though why be in a hurry to fish anyway.....

Wayne

5. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    Wayne, I bought a used Scadden Skykomish Sunrise a year and a half ago. It came with the slide-out standing platform and folding lean bar. But even with the stock 10-1/2 foot tubes, when I stand up on the platform, the front of the boat will dip by several inches as my weight shifts the center of gravity forward. While that's not a big deal by itself, a more annoying issue is what to do with the folding lean bar when it's not deployed forward, especially when my dog is riding shotgun on the back cargo deck or I need to root through a gear bag or two that it's leaning on. I've experimented with some stops to keep the bar from going too far back, but on the whole I'm not as high on the whole standing platform concept as I was before actually trying it.

My 3ยข worth,

K

6. Jay C

Jay C Active Member

Thanks for the replies. I can see that when not using the standing platform it could be in the way. On the water skeeter, the platform can be removed and replaced with the standard foot pegs. But then I would be paying for something that I don't use much.

7. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    I couldn't tell from the Water Skeeter site, but it looks like the standing platform/lean bar is permanently attached. If so, wouldn't that make it impossible to use fins?

K

8. DKL

DKL Nude to the board

Media:
    I'll muddy the waters here a little and say that I actually really like the standing platform on my Scadden Madison. Because of it, I tend to stand more than I sit when fishing lakes. It is nice to have the ability to mix it up and spare my back when I'm out for a whole day. It was also a big reason I got the pontoon I did, but now that I have had it for a few years I don't think I would consider a pontoon that did not have one. The nice thing about the scadden platform is that you can set up the boat without it, which I do when floating a river. I will agree with Kent that when the lean bar is folded back behind you, it is on top of your gear on the rear platform, but I have gotten used to that. I also do not have the dog issue (although I have thought about it, but she is 80 lbs and I'd be doing wheelies while trying to keep her from continually jumping off). As far as the choice between the two pontoons listed, my advice is that anything with PVC bladders is over priced no matter how many bells and whistles are on it. I would highly recommend you alter your search to exclude pontoons that have PVC bladders. May not be the kind of response you were looking for, but hopefully it is helpful.

DKL

9. Robert Holland

Robert Holland New Member