Water Skeeter Day Tripper

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by chk, May 19, 2006.

1. chk New Member

Seattle, WA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    This site has been a great resource for me and I hope someone can provide some info for me.

I don't like my float tube. It provides no support so my back gets sore pretty quickly. While I would love to get a pontoon or watermaster, I don't have the money (or storage for a pontoon boat) right now.

So I have been looking around and wanted to get thoughts from you all about the Water Skeeter Day Tripper or the Fat Cat/Super Fat Cat. I also saw something called Trinity online that only weighs 8 pounds including pump and backpack.

From your experience, what would you say is the better option for me? I don't do much hiking so the use will be more drive, park and fish. A comfortable seat and back support are a must.

thanks,
  2. ErieSteelhead Guest

I have the water skeeter day tripper. In fact I have two of them. One is a POS, the other is an even bigger POS. The air bladders are prone to splitting at the seam on the upper unit. I only keep them because they are very comfortable POSs in a reclining sitting position.
  3. Nol Needs to fish more..

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    I have had both the day tripper and the FishCat. The day tripper leaked (the lower pontoon) and was a hassle to put together. The Fishcat has been great no problems easy to setup, seams more rugged than the DT, easier to manuever due to the boat like shape & its easy to store. However as far as your back, i'm not sure it would be great. It seems like you site more upright than the DT and i can't remember my back hurting too much.
    Hope that helps. :thumb:
  4. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +508 / 0
    From what I have heard and observe...The Daytripper is prone to being blown around a lot...and it's hard to keep the fins in the water for good drive.

The Fat Cat....appears to be better at those two things plus durability. I have the TU Togiak and like it for the most part...I consider it a weaker sister to the Fat Cat...yet durable and useable.
  5. Brian P Member

Eastern, WA
    Just my two cents...I was thinking of getting a day tripper and also did not have a lot of money to spend on a pontoon boat or the storage space for one (since I live in an apartment). I looked around for awhile and then happen to come across the Creek Company 816 pontoon boat. I was a little nervous about buying one since it was the cheapest pontoon boat that I saw.

The things I liked about it most was that it broke down (needed to fit not only in my apartment but also in my compact hatchback vehicle), does not need any tools to put together (uses pins instead of bolts), the frame is aluminimum and lightweight (weighs only 46 lbs?) and has a lifetime warranty. I originally bought this for for hunting and wanted something that I could cart in so I needed something that met all of the above conditions. It worked very well for hunting. Then I started Flyfishing and it worked even better. The entire frame and seat (the older canvis seat) will fit into a large duffle bag.

The only problem that I have had is, I had a leak in one of the pontoons. I emailed the company and they said to send in the pontoon and very promptly I received a brand new pontoon with no questions asked. I do a lot of lake fishing and it works very well. I was nervous about floating a river with it only because it has a canvis outer shell and was not sure how it would handle. Pluse I have never floated a river before. I soon realized that this is a very well built pontoon boat for the money. I have floated the Clark Fork River (from Superior to 14 mile if that helps) with no problems at all. I believe it is rated for a class 2 whitewater.

As you can probably see, I am very pleased with this purchase and would recommend it to anyone as a entry level priced pontoon boat. It takes me about 15 minutes to put the frame together, so it goes together very quickly. I believe this pontoon boat is in roughly the same price range as the water skeeter day tripper so you might want to check it out. Hope this helps

Brian