Water Skeeter Double Take?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Cruik, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Cruik Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +141 / 0
    I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the WS double take (two pontoons that can be put together) My buddy and i fish together most of the time and were looking into getting pontoon boats, or a single two man. This looks like it does both. Price-wise, it's perfect. We're both poor students. Transportation for them would be my pickup. I like the idea of one of us being able to fish while the other rows, which would not happen if we used two separate pontoons. We'd be using it mostly for rivers, with use on lakes occasional. Looking at floating the yak, methow, GR, and westside rivers for winter steelhead (once we got enough skill. Neither of us have any experience using pontoon boats) Oh, we're both about 160 pounds and in good shape.

My question is what are the problems which would come up using this dual pontoon boat idea? Would floating rivers be awkward and dangerous? possibly if we went sideways? can one man row out of danger with it? too heavy or awkward to portage? Also, are the pontoons able to handle rivers by themselves? And, if anyone has any ideas about the materials used, and if they're quality, I'd love to have a knowledgable point of view. For the record, the alternatives we were looking at were 2 outcast wave 9's or possibly fish cats.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/waterskeeter-double-take-ii.aspx?a=722543
  2. mk4 New Member

Ca
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I think two separate boats would be much more preferred than the double take.
  3. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,224 / 0
    As a caution based on the experiences of others who have split the cost of buying boats, before any money changes hands it's probably wise to agree on what will happen to the boat in the event that you two move apart after graduation when you enter the job market.

You may want to consider an agreement that either partner can buy out the interest of the other. It's also worth remembering that the value of your boat will decline over time, so a buyout amount should be based on its current value at the time of the buyout not on your original investment.

Just a thought,

K
  4. Cruik Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +141 / 0
    Definitely agree with you Kent. Fortunately, we thought about that. Decided to go for it. Spent $300 each, and decided what would happen in the case that we broke up (metaphorically speaking. We both have girlfriends. no brokeback) I can imagine hard feelings after splitting a DB, or an expensive raft. We're pretty excited to get it out on the water. Probably hit a few lakes and get used to it. Then hit the yak in the spring.
  5. Chef New Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    dont buy anything together. You want it for yourself and go anywhere without the ball and chain