Water Temp in Puget Sound/Hood Canal

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Nick Andrews, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Nick Andrews New Member

Bremerton, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    With the water temperature increasing in the oceans, I was wondering what if any the water temperature has increased in the Puget Sound and Hood Canal. The Hood Canal and Puget Sound have many other problems, but generally I was wondering if any one has data that has shown an increase in the temperatures. Thanks!
  2. Hooker Banned or Parked

WA
    for sure in the canal.
  3. hendersonbaylocal Member

Seattle WA
    I've heard rumors about rising temps in Hood Canal, but I doubt that it is very much related to the warming of the oceans. My sense is that Puget Sound and Hood Canal are isolated to some degree from the changes happening out there and there are other factors at work (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). The south sound and Hood Canal are relatively small bodies of water and it seems that their conditions are very easily shaped by short term weather patterns whereas ocean conditions are really based on the long term world environment. Speaking specifically for the south sound, I've noticed an increase in algal blooms in late summer over past years, but I don't know if temperatures have actually increased. I'm sure an increase of nutrients (sewage) has something to do with it, but it might also be longer spells of warm late summer weather with calm conditions (no wind) to stir up the top layer. Just my thoughts.
  4. Walt K Searcher

Poulsbo, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Was out in the north Canal a couple of weeks ago and the temp was 46. This time of the year in the Chesapeake it's about 37, but it warms up to the 80s in August. I doubt the Canal gets that warm at any time ...
  5. hendersonbaylocal Member

Seattle WA
    Wow, 80 degrees is pretty warm. Actually there quite a few spots around the PNW where you will see temps in the high 60s and even low 70s at the peak of good summer weather, but we don't have the real shallow water like they do out on the Chesapeake.
  6. Nick Andrews New Member

Bremerton, WA, USA.
    Well it depends where you are in the Canal. On a warm day in the summer when the tides out really far and then comes back in around late afternoon the water temp gets into high 70's low 80's. Though that is a limited amount of time. I think the average temp for PS and HC is around 53 to 55.
  7. Walt K Searcher

Poulsbo, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I had a house on a tidal "creek" off the Chesapeake, and we'd routinely see 90 degree water in the summer. Of course, our cove was mud bottom and only 5' deep ... What was odd was that the white perch would stay there even while being parboiled. Tough fish, white perch.
  8. bjgavin Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    I grew up on one of the inlets in Olympia. The temperature change in the summer was only in the top layer of water (about 7-10 feet). You could really notice it on warm summer days when the low tides would come in the middle of the day and the rocks on the beach would heat up in the sun. In the evening when the tide came back up the rocks would warm that top layer significantly, but if you dove in to a dept of more than what seemed about 7-10 feet it got very cold very fast. If any changes were being tested in the Sound or Hood Canal it would have to be in the deeper parts of the bodies of water. That is where the water temps are not affected by short-term changes and the temperature remains relatively constant year round.
  9. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I would say that the avg. water temp has gotten higher over the last 10 years and base that no absolutely no scientific fact but rather just my observations.
  10. Gertie's Pa New Member

Lacey, WA
    I would imagine the temp in ps and hc has increased over the years. Many of you have mentioned seeing sardines and anchovies in the so sound. I thought these bait fish were typically found in slightly warmer climates.
  11. Milt Roe Member

Taco Ma
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    Biological observations are rarely reliable indicators of physical change. I've seen both here from time to time since the 1960's.
  12. Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Poulsbo, Washington
    iagree

although I have no experience in the 1960's :thumb: