Waterfowl opener

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by D3Smartie, Oct 9, 2008.

1. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    Whats everyone else doing this weekend for the duck opener?
    I am thinking i might head over and hunt chukar tomorrow and then ducks/quail on saturday and possibly sunday. I just hate hunting ducks when its warm and buggy though:mad:

2. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

I'll be on the Skagit flats Saturday morning - Opening day with my oldest son is a tradition that we try to continue each year. It is always good to get out the decoys and gain, watch the excitment of the dog as the first ducks of the season drop into the decoys with the mornings first light. Rarely the best hunt of the season but it is always the most anticipated one.

Hope to get over to the dry side next weekend to confirm the dismal reports of poor pheasant production. May have to spend more time chasing the other "birds" in the area though the cackle of the flushing rooster from the cattails will be missed if there are not huntable numbers of birds.

Tight lines
    Curt

3. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    sure havent heard of many pheasants over there. I was suprised by the lack of upland birds this year. Tough spring though with the nasty weather.

4. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    I feel like a bone head...I got my dates mixed up, and to boot I forgot about the earlier opener...11-15! Shit that just screws up my weekend for sure, I now must figure how I'm going to finish my roof if I HAVE to hunt for a few hours! bawling:

5. Josh Brower

Josh Brower AKA Salmon, Trout, Steelheader

gonna hunt the local areas around here both days i believe. might go somewhere else sunday, but stayin close to home for the opener.

6. Josh Brower

Josh Brower AKA Salmon, Trout, Steelheader

so how did everyone do? today was slow for us with a total of 3. 2 teals and one pintail. was too foggy around here till around 1130 when it all burnt off. hope tomorrow will be better, but not bad for my first hunt.

7. wwuflyfisher

wwuflyfisher New Member

Went out Sunday for the opener near Ferndale. Action was incredibly fast. Two limits by 9 am. I also got my first banded duck. A really nice drake mallard. Hope everyone else did well and all arrived home safe.

8. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    we ended up limiting on saturday and then 3 short on sunday. pretty decent weekend.

9. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    Along the nooksack off slater?

My plans to go out Sunday were a bust...a friend that hiped a "private pond with permission" became a bust.

Oh well...at least I got some work done on my house...bawling:

10. wwuflyfisher

wwuflyfisher New Member

We were off the Nooksack in between Salter Rd. and Marietta. Not many people in the early hours but about 1/2 hr. before shooting hours lots of people showed up. Had to tell one group off after they snuck in around daylight and unexpectedly rained steel shot on our heads from about 50 yards away. Othwer than that not a bad experience for an opener on public land.

11. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    That is what I've heard about the "Nooksack Unit"...there are limited blinds (I believe only 7) and a few that feel that they don't need to hunt from a designated blind.

Glad to hear you still have your head and got some ducks to!

That is the one thing nice about hunting public land that requires a boat...it isolates you some from the idiots, but the down side is that you better hit the water between 2-4 a.m in search of your blind!