Watermaster Kodiak, Standing with bottom option?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by gabe0430, Apr 24, 2013.

1. gabe0430 Banned or Parked

Ratings: +31 / 0
  2. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,715 / 0
    If you add a piece of 3/8" plywood as flooring, with the tubes rolling over its edges to stabilize, I think standing in the WM would be feasible. I've done so in my 7' Achilles dingy with the floor in, but it's not really comfortable. I stand to cast in my canoe whenever I fish from it, and the WM seems at least as stable.

Sg
    Ed Call likes this.
  3. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +773 / 0
    I've stood in my WM silvertip which is a bit smaller. It's really easy to get up and kneel on the wooden seat board, then hop up and stand. I was doing this in the summer, unafraid of falling into winter water however ;) I would imagine falling through the open floor would really wake a guy up on a cold winter morning.
  4. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +896 / 0
    Ed told me he was able to stand up and Spey cast on his; bet he can't do that on his Scadden!
    Ed Call likes this.
  5. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,518 / 9
    True story and true again. I did stand and spey cast from the WM seat platform whilst floating down and fishing the Kalama river on a beautiful sunny day.
    I don't stand on the Scadden Outlaw Assault inflatable seat, but find that seat more comfortable. Instead, I stand in the Fred Flintstone hole and can spey or single hand cast all I need to while standing on the river rocks below.
  6. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +896 / 0
    He "DA MAN", our mumbling moderator! But I'll bet if you put a line on the front of your Scadden, you could ride down the rock garden in the canyon, feet firmly planted on the tubes, reins in one hand switch rod in the other, lashing the trout cowering behind the rocks!
    JesseCFowl and Ed Call like this.
  7. Bill Aubrey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    Alex, if Ed did stand on the seat of his Assault, might he not be our "stumbling moderator"?:)
    Ed Call likes this.
  8. obiwankanobi Active Member

Ratings: +100 / 0
    I have the same boat with the floor option and agree completely with what Salmo mentioned. By itself trying to stand on the raft floor is like trying to stand on a waterbed that can move from underneath you. I have always wanted to build a floor for it so I could stand and not feel like I will fall while casting.
  9. porterHause Just call me Jon

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +185 / 0
    I built a hard floor for my Watermaster recently, and its awesome. PM me if you want some info obiwan.

Took it out on the Puget Sound for lingies last weekend... Fish didn't cooperate, but I could stand and cast no problem.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  10. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,264 / 1
    Jon,
    Post up a pic of your floor. I'd like to see what you came up with.
    SF
  11. porterHause Just call me Jon

Seattle, WA
    SF,

Here's what I got. For the most part I followed your guidance, with a couple changes...waterproof camo tape, and instead of foam pipe insulation, I used clear vinyl tubing. The floor covers approx 3/4 of the bottom, and is stable enough to stand and cast from on a sunny day in the Puget Sound (stance widened slightly :) ). For a bit more stability, maybe kick it up to 3/8" plywood instead of 1/4".
    20130512_133946.jpg
    Stonefish likes this.
  12. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,264 / 1
    Jon,
    That looks great. Much nicer design then what I came up with.
    Brian
  13. docstash Member

selah, wa.
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    Jon,
    You put the floor inside the cover under the boat and then blow it up? so I would have to cough up 300 bucks for the cover first before starting on the ply wood.

Craig
  14. porterHause Just call me Jon

Seattle, WA
    Correct...hang out for a bit and one usually pops up slightly used.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2