Watermaster Question

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by kayakangler, Mar 5, 2009.

1. kayakangler

kayakangler New Member

This board seems pretty knowledgeable on the Watermaster kickboats. I live out east and these boats are relatively unknown here. I'm going to order one in the next 3-4 weeks but have a question or two.

Is it worthwhile to order the hard fishing seat as an option or can I acheive all day comfort using a Thermarest type cushion? As a comparison I have used sit on top kayaks in the past with seats similar to what comes standard with the Watermaster and was pretty comfortable all day long. I'm sure that the optional seat will add enough weight to preclude using it on walk-in ponds/lakes.

Of the two models I'm leaning toward the Grizzly mainly because it weighs less and would be easier to portage back into some remote water I want to fish. The Kodiak interests me because of it's bigger payload, but I wonder if it will be a bear to row around larger lakes especially when the wind kicks up due to it's larger tubes and longer length. My use for these would be probably 60% lake/pond (walk-in) 40% river. I'm a bigger guy 6' 3" abut 240 it would seem either boat would work for me in that regard.

Your opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

2. fatguide

fatguide fish or DIE

At 6'3'-240 the extra length of the Kodiak might be an advantage.
    I have both boats and am 6'1'- 240. On rivers I float throught much shallower water in my Kodiak because of the larger footprint. Plus the added legroom fits me much better. I have the molded seat adapter, and could pull one of my seats out of the driftboat, but I've never done it. The seat they come with works just fine for me. It does take some inital adjusting of the straps to get it "just right" at first, but then it's set.
    The molded seat will sit you about 2" higher, and that may change the way you fin it.
    If out and out speed on a lake is extreamly inportant to you, a Watermaster will never beat a "tune". On lakes I just cast out once I'm away from the ramp, and troll my fly to the hot spots. Also the pointed rear on the Kodiak doesn't plow as much water and if you are anchored in windy condidions the waves don't spray you as bad.

What ever model you get you will love, hope this helps.

3. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have the Kodiak; my brother has the Grizzly. Get the Kodiak for versatility. Wind resistance would be rather negligible I would think. I just use a therma-rest cushion on the seat and I can fish all day. Admittedly, I'm on and off the seat often, stopping where I can to fish different runs, but it's proven well for me. Would strongly advise you get the upgraded oars. You'll love the Watermaster- I love mine and just wish I could use it more than I do.

4. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    Im 6'4 and about 280lbs and I used the kodiak. I wouldnt get anything smaller thats for sure!... The seat is fairly comfortable and rowing it is incredibly easy. I was able to row upstream on the yak with ease. You will love that boat.

I demo'd one from chris schoones' gear program here on this site. I would suggest doing the same and seeing how you like it. I'd have one right now if I wasnt refurbishing my old drift boat. (and if my jeep transmission hadnt taken a dump during my trip to demo the WM)