Watermasters in the Salt

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by JesseC, Aug 17, 2010.

1. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +728 / 0
    Has anyone used their watermaster in the salt water?

My instinct tells me this would be a really horrible idea. Best case, I'd just have to deal with a lot of rust. Worst case, I'd show up weekend at Bernie's style on the coast of Japan in three months.

Hooooowever. I've been doing a lot of running on Myrtle Edwards this year and have been amazed to see how many people are fishing off the Elliot Bay Pier. I know that I can't cast a fly rod from that platform, but I would probably have some good reach 20' off the shore hanging out in the WM. I wouldn't "plan" on going too far out...

thoughts?
  2. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +326 / 0
    Why not contact Big Sky Inflatable and ask? I considered taking mine on a trip to Baja a few years ago for fishing inside protected bays but ended up just doing beaches.
  3. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,619 / 0
    I rowed my WM around a bay to get to the mouth of a small river I wanted to fish. Too far and too much rowing. Next time I'll run the jet boat as close as I can get and hike from there. Then there's that issue of tidal stage.

Sg
  4. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +410 / 0
    Check your regs on fishing from a boat or flotation device in Elliot Bay. IIRC the Aquarium releases fish somewhere down the beach from the pier (on the other side of the silos), long story short there are nice sized silvers that can be caught right off the pier. My fav method as a kid used to be to sabiki rig up a couple of 4-5" herring, then rig them head down and fish those under a big bobber w/ stops so that I could jig or mooch it back in simulating the wounded baitfish thang.

If you want to extrapolate that jive into fly friendliness I'd say fish a big flashy olive or chart. clouser with a mixture of dead drift and slow erratic strips on maybe an intermediate line.

best-T
  5. Trout Master Active Member

Watch for marine traffic, we all called kayaks ,long boards etc speed bumps when taking out customers boats from the marina.
  6. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +68 / 0
    The metal fasteners on a Water Master won't rust any worse than the metal parts on any other boat used in saltwater. Just treat it like you would a real boat (wash it down when you're done in the salt) and you shouldn't have any trouble.
  7. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,357 / 9
    I've sent that same question to Big Sky Inflatables twice via email and on their forum with no answers yet. My gut is 100% with what Alpine has stated and when it is estuary time I hope to take my WM out where the beach anglers are not and have a good time. After the good time I'll do the proper post saltwater cleanup like with any other craft or gear. Thanks for the good question and thanks to all with input that is timely for my upcoming plans. Jesse, when are we fishing?
  8. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,622 / 2
    When I borrow yours next month, I'll ride the ferry over to get it, then row back over to my side to save the money
  9. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    With that information I rescind my offer to loan it to you. Consider it my effort to keep you safely out of shipping lanes and ferry routes.
  10. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    I'm still young and invincible, Mumbles. I wear a life jacket + can row really fast!
  11. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    You are young and irresponsible with your body and my boat...not young and invincible...I'm kindof a safety geek you know.
  12. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +728 / 0
    Cant help thinking that a kayak id just the obvious winner for this situation. Ahhhh a rationale for MORE stuff! :(
  13. Stewart Skunk Happens

Spokane
    Ratings: +48 / 0
    Given the number of rafts and dinghies that are used in the salt, I would think it's a non issue except for metal parts.
  14. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    If I drink enough beer beforehand, I'll really be in top shape to pull it off
  15. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    In that case you're good to go. I'll put a few cinder blocks in the cargo area just for good measure.
  16. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Perfect!
  17. sroffe Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    My dad lives on the sound and uses his Watermaster in the salt all the time. He'll row a couple miles to get to a fishing spot. It's slow going, but, he'll do it. No doubt about it, the salt is hard on anything that is metal, so, if you rinse down the boat after use, it should do just fine over the long haul. I would make sure you have your PFD and as others have said, watch for other boat traffic.
  18. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +640 / 0
    And don't forget to say: "Hold my beer and watch this!" . . .
  19. Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Sammamish, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    there are lots of zodiacs and avons in the salt-does not bother them at all. I would think it would be the same. I have had my pac 800 at the beach house for 8 years or so. Only promlem is that the grommits are rusty. I never clean or wash it off.
  20. orangeradish Bobo approved

Capital City
    Ratings: +484 / 0
    Dude, you tipped my canoe in Munn Lake. I'd stay out of small watercraft if I were you. Just sayin.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: