Waterproof digital camera

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by poirierpro, Nov 10, 2008.

1. poirierpro

poirierpro Member

What is the best waterproof camera out there for the money?? After fishing with a buddy that has one and looking at the sweet underwater photos we got I think I need one! What do you guys use?

2. Nate Dutton

Nate Dutton I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!

Media:
    I like my pentax optio w30.....but search function(if you haven't already) There is a plethora of opinions on this board about the "best" waterproof digital camera

3. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Media:
    I have the optio w10. You can get the optio 30 for a song now that the w60 have come out. Things I like: takes great pictures, SD card, great battery life, and waterproof!

4. Mark Ritari

Mark Ritari Trouthunter

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have the Olympus stylus 850 SW and love it. I can just throw it in my wader pocket and dont have to worry about it. It takes good pictures even though i dont, and its pretty indistructable. Theres a big dent in it that got there some how but it still works perfectly.

5. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I've got the Olympus 790 sw. Its pretty sweet, rugged (in its way). I'm guessing that you are going to get these two suggestions: The Pentax and the Olympus. I went through this whole search for the waterproof camera a while back.
    Check out some product reviews online, and then just find the one that fits your budget best.

I've found that the Oly 790 I have works great for everything I need it to. good underwater shots, good above, etc. etc. Keep in mind, if your taking the underwater shots yourself (of your own fish and what not) it can be hard to set up a good shot (what with awkward angle, struggling fish, etc.).

but good luck, they're fun to have and play around with.

Cheers,
    Jason

6. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    I went in a different direction. I bought a nice digital camera (Canon PowerShot) several years ago and then bought an underwater housing to preserve the camera. That gives me a lightweight camera for hiking and a beefy housing for underwater or wet weather shots. I made my decision before the advent of the growth in waterproof cameras, and I might make a different decision whenever I replace what I have. But this is another route one might take.

Steve

7. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    I've had my Olympus 725SW since I had to replace my earlier Olympus after it was dunked in the Yakima a while ago. I love it and it is with me most of the time I'm fishing. Easy to use and I don't worry about it getting wet. I have a lanyard on it, only to keep me from dropping it somewhere deep in the river and is supposed to be safe to drop from 5 meters I think.

There are newer models out, but other than more mega pixels and maybe a few more features I don't think they're that much different. Olympus does use an XD card, so if you have other memory cards from other digital cameras, you may want to consider the Pentax.

I'm not sure that there are other options than the Olympus and Pentax, but a search on the site should give you a lot more info on these cameras.

Bill :cool:

8. gigharborflyfisher

gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have a pentax optio w30, it is a great camera and takes nice pictures as long as the light conditions are decent. However once the light starts fading the pictures tend to get grainy looking. Other than that I have been very impressed with it though.

9. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    After researching all of the threads on this site and others I bought the Pentax w-60. Josh Root of this board recommended it for (among other things) it has a wider angle lens. We have taken about 1000 pix with it of all kinds. The underwater stuff turned out great. I am not a expert but this camera takes good pix and I am still learning about some of the features. I would recommend it.
    Blessings
    jesse

10. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    Yes, the Pentax W60 and the Olympus 1030SW are the top of the heap at the moment. But earlier models of either are great options as well. All will take great photos of fishing and associated stuff.

I will say that I really like the W60's wider angle lens over the W30 that I previously had.

11. Kim Hampton

Kim Hampton Not Politically Correct

I bought the Sanyo Xacti E1 toward the end of last year. It's waterproof to 1.5M. 6 mega pixal. What's neat about the unit is it takes both video and pictures. The thing is very compact. About the only thing I can complain about is the zoom controls are a bit small for my banana fingers. Otherwise it's a great little camera for the fishing trips and vacations where you will be getting wet.:thumb:

Here's a link to the camera.
    http://www.sanyodigital.com/product.aspx?v=1

12. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

I'll go along with Josh with a little lean towards the Olympus because I use one. Gave the Pentax a serious look, but I found a great price on the Oly.

13. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Media:
    duuuuuude...pentax optio w 30

14. Kundzja

Kundzja New Member

optio w 30 takes video too. Great little camera. Gave it another bath on the Fraser last week. lol

15. Connor Parrish

Connor Parrish Member

Media:
    I have an Olympus and love the fact that I don't have to worry about dropping or dunking it. With that said, they don't float! If you get one I would make sure to look for a floating wrist strap that attaches just like the lanyard. One was suggested to me and I am very glad I bought it! Before I picked up the float I was always concerned about dropping it while taking an underwater shot in a lake. I just had the image in my mind of it slipping out of my hands as I reached for a 20 inch trout that wouldn’t hold still. Have fun

16. Jim Grant

Jim Grant New Member

I'll put in another vote for the olympus...I have the 790SW...have dropped it several times on rocks, takes great pics with auto settings....underwater shots take some practice but once you get the hang of it they come out great. Have used fresh/salt and snorkelling in Oz with it submerged for extended periods and no problems. I am sue the Pentax is great as well but not sure if it is "shockproof," I am clumsy and drop my gear alot....for me this functionality is key.

Tight Lines,
    Jim

17. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    Same here...had the Sony Cybershot (a freebie from work) and dropped it a couple weeks ago. Still works but the viewfinder is T.U. From looking at Pentax vs. Oly, there's no claim from Pentax of theirs being shockproof so I'll assume it isn't. All the other features and pricing look very similar in terms of bang for the buck, so I'm also leaning toward the Oly. Circuit City liquidation anyone? :D

Connor - Never mind your camera...how'd you get the trout to smile like that??

18. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Media:
    I got the 30 foot deep Olympus, whichever one that is. Love it

19. Don Barton

Don Barton Member

Media:
    I was guided this summer by Kelly, the owner of the St Mary's Fly Shop in Kimberly BC. He had a guide who droped a waterproof Olympus camera overboard. It stayed underwater for over a week getting bounced down the bottom of the river until someone else found the camera by accident. Returned to its rightful owner, the camera worked perfectly. Tough camera!

20. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I went to the Olympus site after reading this thread. I'm about ready to get another digital camera and I think that I have a good choice in that 1030sw. Drop proof, water proof, crush proof. Good to minus 14. You can't even freeze it up.

Just what a flyfisher needs something you can't screw up anymore. A toy that big kids can't even break.

Jim